Man Utd warned Federico Valverde transfer from Real Madrid 'will cost £450m'

Syme

Real Madrid have attempted to dissuade Manchester United from signing Federico Valverde by slapping a hefty £450million price tag on the midfielder.

The 21-year-old has enjoyed a breakout season for Los Blancos this campaign – and comparisons have even been made between him and Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard.

Boss Zinedine Zidane has been providing the young Uruguay international with first-team starts this season, having mostly come off the bench last campaign.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is looking to solidify his side's midfield for next season, wanting particularly someone who can work well in conjunction with marquee January signing Bruno Fernandes, who has made a brilliant start to his United career so far.

But plans to sign Valverde has taken a stumble, according to Diario Madridista, who say that the Red Devils will need to match the player's release clause of €500m (£450m) to prise him away from the Santiago Bernabeu.

Should United offer that amount, it would smash the world record set by Neymar's transfer to Paris Saint-Germain from Barcelona for around £200million in 2017.

Though no one expects the north-west side to make such an offer, they are expected to make some big money moves for players this upcoming transfer window, as they look to build on this season, where they sit just outside the top four.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had admitted that he needs at least three new heads for next season.

The 47-year-old said via ESPN: “We feel we are improving all the time,” he said earlier this month.

“We know we lack one, two, three players to be considered a title contender and some experience and we know that.

"We are just going to start talking about going up the table, getting more points.”

United remain in the FA Cup and Europa League this season - and are three points off Chelsea, who sit in fourth.

I love how they band these figures about.

as if it would ever be ok to pay nearly half a billion pounds for a football player.

hideous.

661T7Kv.gif

United are no longer in the market for elite level footballers.

Truth be told they never really have been bar a few exceptions.

The harsh reality is they're no longer on the same level as the superclubs.

First team key players don’t leave Real Madrid or Barcelona for anyone really, with the exception being Ronaldo. Those 2 clubs are the elite and always will be.

not with all this shit going on around us ......even before this started would be very unlikely to pay that sort of money

It's basically Madrid saying "he's not for sale"

Every Spanish contract has a release clause, a lot of which are hugely inflated, ridiculous figures.

But that doesn't make for a clickbait headline

£450m?
Disgusting.
If any good comes of this virus shut down, maybe the scandalous bubble will burst and reset TV money, transfer values etc a little

The boy Barcelona just singed from braga has a release clause of £500million, I would imagine the reasons they are so high now would be down to PSG, when the paid the release clause for Neymar.

Don’t really see the problem when the price tag is quite obviously a deterrent because they don’t want to sell. It’s something the mentally challengeds are good at. People are taking it too literally.

Even though in the current climate this will never happen. It's still figures like that that make me hope that after this crisis is over the arse falls completely out of the game and we go back to a more even playing field.
I reckon alot of clubs big and small will be in real trouble during this and it hopefully changes the landscape when we come out the other side.

Valverde is the sort of player they need, but I don't think he's the guy.

They'll probably punt Pogba to the highest bidder (Real Madrid) and then look for someone who has a different style to Fred/McTominay and Fernandes to slot into that midfield trio.

Someone like Saul Niguez from Atletico would be ideal to slot into that midfield, but would cost roughly the same amount of money as Pogba.

That being said, I can also see them throwing crazy money at Spurs for Harry Kane.

Not a chance with this... The next transfer window, whenever that is, will be the lowest spending ever across Europe IMO!

Valverde is an absolutely tremendous talent, he’ll be a mainstay in the Real team for years to come. Madridistas love him, which is not something you can say about many players that have played for them.

For me, he’ll be the best midfielder in La Liga within the next 5 years.

£450m?
Disgusting.
If any good comes of this virus shut down, maybe the scandalous bubble will burst and reset TV money, transfer values etc a little
Nobody’s paying 450 million. It’s his release Clause , they massively inflate them as it’s the price which if any club bids they cannot reject. So would be silly having them low.

Virus or no virus, transfer or no transfer, there’s absolutely no way any team this side of the moon is paying £450m for one player. Not even one of the monied giants.

Basically a ‘not for sale’ sign.

Valverde is an absolutely tremendous talent, he’ll be a mainstay in the Real team for years to come. Madridistas love him, which is not something you can say about many players that have played for them.

For me, he’ll be the best midfielder in La Liga within the next 5 years.
Watched him for a full 90 mins for the first time in the recent game v Barca and have to say based on what i saw you are correct.

Back