Manager confirms Wilson on his way

glasgow59

Today’s reports of Danny Wilsons exit are sadly true. The clubs discussions with him have broke down and the club won’t pay Danny what he believes he is worth. Looks like he will be heading for the exit. Particularly disappointing news. Talks with Bates & Windass more positive

from 4 lads had a dream twitter

I’m not surprised, I said last night that I reckon Wilson would leave if a decent offer came from America.

If he thinks he can do better then good luck to him he goes with our best wishes. Not a key player for us but a decent CH. we have options and if he is worth more than we think to someone else then so be it.

Bates I would like to keep. He can improve Wilson unlikely to improve.

I think you have to try and see things from the player's point of view. I would imagine that Murty will see his preferred CB partnership as being Martin and Alves. Why would Wilson want to be 3rd choice CB? Also, a move to America would be exciting for him and his family, he is maybe moving to a situation where he will be 1st choice CB. Disappointing though it is for us, I don't blame the lad.

So do we try and sell now in this window for what we can get or alllow him to leave for free in summer?

A shame, as I feel he is coming into his prime. I disagree with Northhighlander - Wilson is technically sound and is continually improving defensively (the Parkhead game was his best defensive performance). He's also started scoring a few goals, which helps. I'd much rather keep him than Bates.

Nothing against wilson but it's only been a few games recently he's gave us any confidence now he's got his demands i think were the ones holding all the cards here

He’s only played well in the last few months, so although it’s disappointing, I don’t think he’s quite earned a massive wage rise.

He is certainly replaceable.

On the back of a bit of good form, I don't think we should be moving heaven and earth to secure him. I think he has more to prove if he would like a substantially improved contract. I would like to see a place for Cardoso. I really think he could be a very good consistent defender for us.

I find this disappointing - he has played really well recently and has taken on more responsibility in our last few games. Indeed, he has been our best CB for the past couple of months. If Murty sees Martin and Alves as our best CB partnership, we’re in real trouble - both very experienced but as slow as a week in the jail. These days, it always seems to be one step forward then one step back with no real progress being made.

Sorry if he goes but if I were him the chance to play and then potentially live in the USA as opposed to staying in this secessionist back water - Rangers or not I’d be off. Brilliant opportunity Danny you take it.

Completely agree with this. If it were my son in his position, much as I know he loves The Rangers I would be advising him to go to and make his life in the USA, IF he could not get a high percentage of games for us.

Would be sorry to see him go.
But if he's not happy here then he needs to go.
Another soccer mercenary but can't blame him.
If he doesn't want medals and trophies and European football good luck as a no mark over there.
He would never be in need of money if he stayed with us..

Not that bothered hes been a fringe player this season who has came on to a bit of form recently doesnt exactly mean he deserves a better contract.

Funnily enough his best spell comes just before contract negotiation time, cheerio Danny hopefully there isn't a third time.

If you're an optimist you'd say he's reaching maturity as a CH,and he'll see out his last six months in a professional manner giving everything for the jersey.
If you're a cynic you'd say it's because he's in the final year of his contract,and the minute he signs a new one with whoever he will slip back into mediocrity.

I'm a cynic-punt him this window and keep the other CH's at the club for now.

A shame, as I feel he is coming into his prime. I disagree with Northhighlander - Wilson is technically sound and is continually improving defensively (the Parkhead game was his best defensive performance). He's also started scoring a few goals, which helps. I'd much rather keep him than Bates.

He is inconsistent has been for ages yes he has had a few good games recently this hardly entitles him to a raise!

Good luck to him in the future. I can’t ever see a 3rd spell on the cards for him so he better be certain of this

Bloomin eck you'd think the lad would have learned. With recent performances he had started to build a platform to go on and raise his game consistently and force his way into the Scotland team, the rewards would naturally follow.

Unless he has a significant offer from elsewhere, it is a short career but I cant see the numbers being hugely different..

You'd think he would think twice having already jumped ship in his career.
He'd be getting decent money, settled at a club that's getting better year in year out.
We're nearly there at that point where we will regularly challenge and win trophys and leagues.
And he's going to go to America.
Come on now Danny have a good hard think.
Unless of course the Rangers offer is derisory which is possible as well.
Should be looking to keep someone like Danny who knows what its all about.
Still young for a centre half and if he has aspirations of getting into the national team he would be best staying put and trying to forge a partnership.

Disappointing - I like Danny but he's certainly not irreplaceable.

He must have a very good offer to turn down a spanking new three year contract with The Famous.

I think the last couple of games have blinded a lot of us to the fact that he isn't actually that good. He can, of course, play really well at times but he has had some absolute horror shows the last few months - Kille Away and St Johnstone at Home for instance.

We have seen far better defenders come and go.

We will move on and Danny realistically won't play at a club like ours for the rest of his football career IMO. But his wages will be decent if that is what inspires him.

Best of luck to him

Not that bothered to be honest, for me he has always thought he was a better player than he actually is and it has been his downfall on the pitch at times.

Best of luck to him if he goes, he will miss Rangers more than Rangers will miss him.

This for me, the last couple of performance's don't overshadow the majority of his time back at us.

It's not as simple as "keeping him before Bates".

The context of the tweet strongly suggests, in fact states, that Wilson feels he is worth more than Rangers do. So if you're keeping him, you're probably doing so whilst making him one of our top earners. In my own opinion, Danny Wilson doesn't merit that. My expectations of a strong Rangers side over the next few years, challenging for titles etc, with a defence that requires, wouldn't contain Danny Wilson in the starting eleven.

I'd be interested in seeing what wage he's been offered. I'd be sad to see him leave tbh. But, if he'd rather play in a team with no pressure or expectation then off you pop. That's not the attitude we need.
He, of all people should realise that the grass isn't always greener.

I find this disappointing - he has played really well recently and has taken on more responsibility in our last few games. Indeed, he has been our best CB for the past couple of months. If Murty sees Martin and Alves as our best CB partnership, we’re in real trouble - both very experienced but as slow as a week in the jail. These days, it always seems to be one step forward then one step back with no real progress being made.

Have I missed a bit of info or is this an assumption? The fact talks have been taking place indicates Murty & the club have Wilson in their future plans but for whatever reason, they haven't come to an agreement - hopefully he's not priced himself out of a deal thinking his performances have warranted big bucks.

Not ecstatic to see him go but he'll be replaced just fine.

I look forward to the 'Wilson willing to come back & play for free' threads in approx. 2022 :D

It's not as simple as "keeping him before Bates".

The context of the tweet strongly suggests, in fact states, that Wilson feels he is worth more than Rangers do. So if you're keeping him, you're probably doing so whilst making him one of our top earners. In my own opinion, Danny Wilson doesn't merit that. My expectations of a strong Rangers side over the next few years, challenging for titles etc, with a defence that requires, wouldn't contain Danny Wilson in the starting eleven.

A decent summation of Danny's status. Good luck to him with his new venture.

Would prefer to keep him as a squad player as long as it was on sensible wages though (strength in depth for central defence is desirable).

Shame that we can't come to an agreement with Wilson. It seems that we are prepared to pay top dollar for the likes of Alves who has been on the whole disappointing but won't pay up for a player who has performed far better than him this season and whose best days are still to come. I'd imagine that Danny's demands are still nowhere near what Alves is being paid.

Back