Manager interview

In less than 12 months, a Europa League Final and Champions League qualification bringing significant and much-needed funds into the Club.

We won a domestic trophy, something his predecessor failed to do in a more favorable situation.

And a 12 point swing in the league that is our bread and butter every season and an enormous regression in the current squad. How long do we dine out on this EL final?

And won 1 old firm and 0 old firms in 90 minutes. And the points swing last season. Also pumped 3 nil and 4 nil against them lot because he never learned. If it wasnt for the european run. He wouldnt be here
Yet posters were on here saying “he’s got Celtics number” because we managed a win in extra time after scoring a late equaliser.

At no point in any Old Firm game have we looked like he “has their number”

Walter’s park the bus in 2008 is miles away from what Gio serves up. We were an organised team under Walter and everyone knew their job. Now not so much.

We also got a good few hammerings at home under Walter second time around as well. It wasn't always a defensive master class in the CL.

Lost 2-0 away from home to the team that were in the CL final a few months ago

I understand everyone has a right to an opinion and some of the tactics/team selections and results have been a bit alarming

But have a night off….

Honest question. Under Gio do you think we have improved as a team?

All I see is regression in every department. We don’t even look fit anymore while previously we were being accused of doping!

I don't think he's had the opportunity to do so given the circumstances. We were always going to transition from a Gerrard to a Gio team.

Agree on the fitness.

In less than 12 months, a Europa League Final and Champions League qualification bringing significant and much-needed funds into the Club.

We won a domestic trophy, something his predecessor failed to do in a more favorable situation.
Where were we in the league when Gerrard left?

Oh and it was Gerrard’s team that had the success you mention, his fitness levels, his team spirit. Compare that to a pre-season and ongoing training/coaching from GVB and his mates……we’re now rudderless, unfit in comparison, cannot play a pressing game

Are we better or worse under the current management? I think you know the answer

It was, until it was blatantly obvious that we were getting turned over. Wouldn't say McGregor had to make any outstanding saves but he kept the score line down. Easy to say that's his job but Gio dropped him for McLauglin and has had to change it up as its clear McGregor is the better option.

He's also played Tillman on the right of midfield and continued with Kent when it's been quite obvious he needs time out of the team.

A matter of time until he's gone, in my opinion.
Tell that to three quarters of the posters here, they were practically pulling their hair out at the thought that McGregor would play for us again.

McLaughlin more than deserves the jersey I believe was the overall sentiment. Those of us who suggested McGregor was our best goalkeeper were shot down.

It's beyond dislike. The way some of our support talk about our own, not just the manager, but players and board members, is the stuff you'd expect from that lot talking about us. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and constructive criticism should always be encouraged, but a lot of what we see is pure vitriol. Sad to see tbh.
How do you know they are our supporters tho BigD plenty of infiltration on this site .
Loads of fans know the situation imo

Last edited:
I want him to do well, I want the team to succeed.
I have always wanted our managers to do well and believed in them all, to a point of course.

Tonight I saw what looked like our manager applauding our opponents scoring a penalty against us.
A far as I was sunk into my chair at the pounding we were taking, that sunk me further into my chair.
Then I turned our match off and started watching Ajax v Napoli.

I don't know if Gio is going to realise, his team selections are not getting the best out of our players.
That's the spirit.

Some people don't deserve Rangers.

And a 12 point swing in the league that is our bread and butter every season and an enormous regression in the current squad. How long do we dine out on this EL final?

Given it was backed-up a short time after with CL qualification, I'd probably give him more time than the beginning of October. That would seem reasonable.

He didn’t….it was Gerrard’s team and the team spirit he installed that did

We’ve gone backwards since Gio and his pals arrived, he’s got no clue what he’s doing mate
He was the manager , not Gerrard .
Just pointing out facts.

Tell that to three quarters of the posters here, they were practically pulling their hair out at the thought that McGregor would play for us again.

McLaughlin more than deserves the jersey I believe was the overall sentiment. Those of us who suggested McGregor was our best goalkeeper were shot down.
Yessss .

And where are they now ? Sadly all sorts of podders etc forming a kangaroo court too . Real rangers fans queueing up to insult a rangers legend . Fact .

Reading through this thread it comes to me that of all the depressing things to happen to our club over the past few years, the abysmal state of our support these days probably tops the lot.

They were excused because he won titles. Gio won’t
Spot on

Sadly apart from 92/93 Walter was incredibly poor in Europe first around and was definitely not up to it even with the wealth of talent we had ,but winning the league every year kept him in a job.

And won 1 old firm and 0 old firms in 90 minutes. And the points swing last season. Also pumped 3 nil and 4 nil against them lot because he never learned. If it wasnt for the european run. He wouldnt be here
Eh but after the 4-0 we got on top of them .

Yes the next again season we lost 3-0 that is true but it was not consecutive matches as I think your post Implies .

Both appalling performances mind you mate I ain’t trying to blur that

Oh and it was Gerrard’s team that had the success you mention, his fitness levels, his team spirit. Compare that to a pre-season and ongoing training/coaching from GVB and his mates……we’re now rudderless, unfit in comparison, cannot play a pressing game

Are we better or worse under the current management? I think you know the answer
Gerrard got absolutely nowhere near the champions league, and beat Ange in zero competitions. God he only beat Neil fucking Lennon in one!

I think it's fair enough that McGregor was criticised, but to replace him with our backup keeper was a mistake.

Did nothing wrong tonight. A cracking free kick and a penalty, not much he could have done for either.

Given it was backed-up a short time after with CL qualification, I'd probably give him more time than the beginning of October. That would seem reasonable.

Its not really m8, He is not even managing the basics.

He is like a rabbit in headlights in regards to team selection, tactics, and formations.

The team are regressing and dont seem to know their job or the teams job.

All for themselves or lacking confidence => Regression.

This thread, holy fukk! When you read it cold you'd think we got beat by Lincoln rather than Liverpool tonight. Some absolute roasters on this board.

He is clearly not a bad manager.

But the Champions League? On the evidence so far, and at Feyenoord, it looks a step too far for him.

His record in the group stage is now played 9, lost 8, won 1.

I would’ve set us up 4-3-3 Matondo Kent wide Alfie dropping in those two running in behind their fullbacks. It’s were every single side has got joy against them by not sitting back.

I bet you Liverpool we’re delighted we sat in with no pace it was a easy game for them defensively.

Fulham went after them and got joy Brighton Newcastle Man Utd all we sat in I thought it was the wrong move and it’s defeatist the way we set up zero threat at all.

See where you’re coming from but playing 4 at the back against that front 4 of liverpool is suicide imo. Many times tonight our extra man in defense saved us?

Matondo done well when he came on but has been terrible (hearts aside) all season (when we’ve seen him) and couldn’t even get in the squad against dundee united. Sorry but to say he should of started tonight is mental.

See where you’re coming from but playing 4 at the back against that front 4 of liverpool is suicide imo. Many times tonight our extra man in defense saved us?

Matondo done well when he came on but has been terrible (hearts aside) all season (when we’ve seen him) and couldn’t even get in the squad against dundee united. Sorry but to say he should of started tonight is mental.
Pace mate to play without it was mental but Gio has previous for this Tillman on the right fml now that’s mental

Lot of hysteria on here, as usual after a defeat. To call for our manage’s head after a 2-0 defeat at probably the toughest venue in club football is next level insane.
It's not that though. It's what we've been watching since he came to the club and the fact we know it isn't going to change.

He's coached any attacking or expressive ideas out of every one of those players. We are so dull and boring to watch, can only imagine what his "philosophy" is like to play in for the players. Losing 2-0 away to Liverpool is fine but once again it's the manner of the defeat. The players looked absolutely lost, the side completely disjointed and players playing who have proven time and again they are not good enough.

We stood off and watched Liverpool play tonight. We did not engage them at all and were lucky it wasn't 5 or 6-0. The players passing ability and ball control is absolutely shocking for a professional football team, especially when under pressure, what are we doing on the training pitch to be failing so badly at even the absolute basics?

Strange perception for a bear.
Don't you think?
im intrigued to know what the expected perception for a “bear” should be.

All I see on this forum is the constant berating of the manager that got us into a European final in his first season, back into the champions league for the first time in a decade in his second season, and has one of, If not the highest win % of all Rangers managers ever.

To be frank I think the “bears” have lost the absolute plot this season.

He didn’t….it was Gerrard’s team and the team spirit he installed that did

We’ve gone backwards since Gio and his pals arrived, he’s got no clue what he’s doing mate
To an extent. Gerrards team were all over the place when GVB came in though too

Oh come on, we're now giving Gerrard credit for Gio's successes... how were you feeling after Hibs at Hampden?

Yep, spot on.

So the same guys choose a new target to attack.

Thank fook I don’t know too many of them in my day to day life.

Back