Manager interview

Tell that to three quarters of the posters here, they were practically pulling their hair out at the thought that McGregor would play for us again.

McLaughlin more than deserves the jersey I believe was the overall sentiment. Those of us who suggested McGregor was our best goalkeeper were shot down.
Neither of them should be our goalkeeper

Oh come on, we're now giving Gerrard credit for Gio's successes... how were you feeling after Hibs at Hampden?
The point remains, Gio inherited the team that carried him through the European run last year, the blueprint was there already and the work ethic

That’s all now gone

Gio will never ever ever win us the league, NEVER

He is clearly not a bad manager.

But the Champions League? On the evidence so far, and at Feyenoord, it looks a step too far for him.

His record in the group stage is now played 9, lost 8, won 1.

I don't know Feyenoord's results but it's pretty harsh to be judging a manager on Ajax, Napoli + Liverpool.

It may well be that Gio can't quite decide how to deal with the group stage, as opposed to the two-legged knock-outs. Even last season the Prague game in the groups was effectively a decider.

My overall thought is that it was always going to be a team in transition and he's been very unfortunate with injuries to significant personnel.

I don’t dislike Giovanni van Bronckhorst but I cannot stand the football we play under him. People mention the football we played under Walter Smith - don’t know why as the similarities aren’t even close in any what whatsoever.

We are going backwards, he’s not improved a single area of the park, we hand out contracts to players over the hill and past it. His philosophy, game plan, game management and decision making is awful.

We are nowhere near the levels of fitness as what we were under Steven Gerrard. He cannot correct weaknesses. He tinkers far too often, irrespective of injuries.

Dull, boring, unorganised, ill-disciplined, flat, turgid, gutless, error prone, toothless football. A team that cannot defend, a team that doesn’t score enough goals. Predictable passages of play every game. An absolute slog watching this.

We don’t play with pace or authority. We don’t play to our players strengths. There is a real lack of fight, desire, hunger. Relentlessness. A manager that is as flat as a pancake and doesn’t seem to get his players motivated or going.

Anyone who thinks this is based on one game against Liverpool are deluded.

Dropped points in the league will just be around the corner as this manager doesn’t have it in him to guide us through a winning run.

Christ almighty, the team wasn’t his and the team in Europe managed itself on the park with Gerrard standards and levels

Gio’s a dud, simple

He is not a dud, he got us to the Champions League. It was not gifted.

However. The lack of progression and his ability to change is a real concern for me.

I don't know Feyenoord's results but it's pretty harsh to be judging a manager on Ajax, Napoli + Liverpool.

It may well be that Gio can't quite decide how to deal with the group stage, as opposed to the two-legged knock-outs. Even last season the Prague game in the groups was effectively a decider.

My overall thought is that it was always going to be a team in transition and he's been very unfortunate with injuries to significant personnel.

whats your thought in playing a very good number 10 in Tillman as a right winger?

im intrigued to know what the expected perception for a “bear” should be.

All I see on this forum is the constant berating of the manager that got us into a European final in his first season, back into the champions league for the first time in a decade in his second season, and has one of, If not the highest win % of all Rangers managers ever.

To be frank I think the “bears” have lost the absolute plot this season.
But, we are all bears on here, surely.

I don’t dislike Giovanni van Bronckhorst but I cannot stand the football we play under him. People mention the football we played under Walter Smith - don’t know why as the similarities aren’t even close in any what whatsoever.

We are going backwards, he’s not improved a single area of the park, we hand out contracts to players over the hill and past it. His philosophy, game plan, game management and decision making is awful.

We are nowhere near the levels of fitness as what we were under Steven Gerrard. He cannot correct weaknesses. He tinkers far too often, irrespective of injuries.

Dull, boring, unorganised, ill-disciplined, flat, turgid, gutless, error prone, toothless football. A team that cannot defend, a team that doesn’t score enough goals. Predictable passages of play every game. An absolute slog watching this.

We don’t play with pace or authority. We don’t play to our players strengths. There is a real lack of fight, desire, hunger. Relentlessness. A manager that is as flat as a pancake and doesn’t seem to get his players motivated or going.

Dropped points in the league will just be around the corner as this manager doesn’t have it in him to guide us through a winning run.
Exactly this. I’m sure he’s probably quite a nice guy. Never a Rangers manager though.

Said the other day, I can’t remember feeling more disengaged watching Rangers than I do at the moment.

Yeah, should just clear McGregor off the books. Not like he’s putting in world class performances against one of the best teams in the world.
He should have been released in the summer and a proper number 1 signed, but we went with the cheap easy option again. McGregor played as big a part as anybody last season in costing us the title with his shambolic goalkeeping in the league.

Not going to deny he had a good game tonight, but let's not pretend we all knew last season was one too far for him and almost to a man knew it was time for him to hang the gloves up. For every performance like tonight there's a Ross County up in Dingwall, and a Motherwell at Ibrox costing us 6 points in those two games alone off the top of my head.

P

well we are sitting won 6, drew 1, lost 1 winning 4-0 at tynecastle in our last domestic game, and qualified considerably against the odds for the UCL group stages, so something is going right. Must be very lucky.

He should have been released in the summer and a proper number 1 signed, but we went with the cheap easy option again. McGregor played as big a part as anybody last season in costing us the title with his shambolic goalkeeping in the league.

Not going to deny he had a good game tonight, but let's not pretend we all knew last season was one too far for him and almost to a man knew it was time for him to hang the gloves up. For every performance like tonight there's a Ross County up in Dingwall, and a Motherwell at Ibrox costing us 6 points in those two games alone off the top of my head.
Amazing.

Goldson had a good game tonight, want to tear him down too?

Pathetic.

I‘m out.

An odd decision. I remarked at the announcement of the team line-up that I hoped he would be pushed up close to Morelos not put on the right, a la Amsterdam and Parkhead.

What about Tav marking on the left side at corners? The undroppable Kent. Our strongest midfield that changes depending on the wind.

Our to the point Gios Tactics and team selection. How much time do you give a faltering manager?

Jurgen Klopp - "Rangers had an exceptional year in Europe last year, then qualified for Champions League. That’s all good. They are learning at this level, that is normal. It cannot all come in one year."
There will be no learning curve with the manager and the present crop of players, it is a season too far. That is where you and I disagree.

Gio's class of 2022 has been totally dimantled. Just as Walter's 2008 legacy was demolished by Kaunus. Harsh words? I certainly hope you will ram my words down my throat by the groups end, but I just don't see it happening.

However, I will say again, I am not judging Gio on Europe and certainly not tonight. His judgement will come domestically.

People mention the football we played under Walter Smith - don’t know why as the similarities aren’t even close in any what whatsoever.
If you are meaning we are really shit to watch I know ST holders who packed it in in a cerrtain time during Wattie's time because of what they were watching. One literally pronounced "No! No! No!" before disappearing during a relatively successful period. Never saw him again for a while until a wee bit later on PRW with his kid - the turgid football was confirmed as the reason.

It was awful to watch sometimes but if you are winning you can get away with it to an extent (Wattie's advice to other managers used to be 'just win').

We could have played a lot better tonight but in doing so we could also have had a damaging result.

Ajax 1 Napoli 6 should put things in perspective.

And here the eternal optimist comes out in me. Point against Liverpool and a victory against Ajax both at Ibrox might yet just place us in the Europa League.

Regardless of that go on a domestic victory roll will eclipse that for me right now - I really want the League this seaason now.

I can accept getting beat but tonight was embarrassing. We looked like a lower league club playing Liverpool in the cup.

If younare mneaning we are really shit to watch I know ST holders who packed it in in a cerertain period during Wattie's time because of what they were watching. One literally pronounced "No! No! No!" before disappearing during a relatively successful period. Never saw him again for a while until a wee bit later on PRW with his kid - the turgid football was confirmed as the reason.

It was awful to watch sometimes but if you are winning you can get away with it to an extent (Wattie's advice to other managers used to be 'just win').

We could have played a lot better tonight but in doing so we could also have had a damaging result.

Ajax 1 Napoli 6 should put things in perspective.

And here the eternal optimist comes out in me. Point against Liverpool and a victory against Ajax both at Ibrox might yet just place us in the Europa League.

Regardless of that go on a domestic victory roll will eclipse that for me right now - I really want the League this seaason now.

Do you honestly believe, hand on heart. That gio can deliver us the league?

Exactly this. I’m sure he’s probably quite a nice guy. Never a Rangers manager though.

Said the other day, I can’t remember feeling more disengaged watching Rangers than I do at the moment.
We just played champions league finalists of last years, what was their squad value v‘s us, some on here really get some level of reality

Listening to him is the ears version of your eyes watching his horseshoe tactics, boring and you want it to end fast.

P

well we are sitting won 6, drew 1, lost 1 winning 4-0 at tynecastle in our last domestic game, and qualified considerably against the odds for the UCL group stages, so something is going right. Must be very lucky.
And we were holding Napoli to a draw until Sands got sent off, the same Napoli who hammered Ajax 6 - 1 at their own patch tonight. It's the inconsistency and baffling team selections and tactics that I just can't fathom, we're really not that bad a team

It was clear in the lack of fight in players the management has rubbed off on them. Look at the energy a bench warmer like Sakala put into them- someone hungry with lots to prove and plenty of fight in himself. The acceptance this is not our level and bending over and taking it from Gio is shocking. The term No Surrender should be ringing in there ears but it seems we are fanboys who happy to turn up admire the Kop etc. Gio should have been using whatever he could to stir the team up. All very flaccid and reflective of his persona

I watched more or less all SG's pressers , honestly don't bother with Gio's anymore he's boring and pretty uninspiring.

I can accept getting beat but tonight was embarrassing. We looked like a lower league club playing Liverpool in the cup.

the truth is liverpool never came out of first gear after taking the lead., but sadly neither did we. And thats the problem. It was Liverpool v MacGregor with a helping hand at best from other Rangers players.

Where were we in the league when Gerrard left?

Oh and it was Gerrard’s team that had the success you mention, his fitness levels, his team spirit. Compare that to a pre-season and ongoing training/coaching from GVB and his mates……we’re now rudderless, unfit in comparison, cannot play a pressing game

Are we better or worse under the current management? I think you know the answer
I’m not backing Gio here, but did you watch us under Gerrard before he left last year? He drew 3 home league games in a row, lost to Malmo and lost the first 2 EL games without a whimper. He also didn’t win a thing for 2 years and left us just before an absolute tanking against HIBS at Hampden. That was a catalyst for Celtic to push on in the league last year as well. Love Gerrard, but I wouldn’t use him as a barometer. Our fitness and tactics last year that won a trophy and got us a EL final were down to Gio. I thought he made an arse of tonight, for balance.

No one is judging the Ajax and Liverpool results, they are judging the utterly pathetic performances.

At least teams in transition have a rough style and blueprint. We have absolutely %^*& all, we aren't an attacking team, we aren't quick, we aren't powerful, we aren't good defensively, we aren't good in the air, we aren't good in possession. We are the most bland team imaginable.

but so can McIness. I am asking do you believe he will?

I do! Said so tonight in the pub with fellow Bears (granted, some of them with the opposite opinion).

They're not that great and starting to have their injury problems too. Mid-week European games will add to their stress also.

A close title race is on and we can prevail.

Back