Managers we've been linked with over the last 25 years?

Dick Donner

Or managers you would like to have seen manage our club?

Always remember when I was young Souness would continually get linked with the job or headlines like "Gord help us" in the paper in relation to Strachan being linked (before he was at Celtic).

Suppose the most difficult to replace was Sir Walter first time round. Remember reading an old article on line about the names linked. Mark McGhee at Wolves at the time and Martin O Neill were even mentioned I think. Sven Goran Eriksson was linked as I recall as was the Denmark national manager Richard Moller Neilsen, before we went with Dick Advocaat.

I don't recall McGhee or O'Neill or even Strachan ever being linked with the Rangers job.

Richard Moeller Nielsen was linked when Walter was going the first time. We had his son, Tommy, working in the bacroom staff at the time. We were aiming high at that time and I think Lippi has said he was asked circa 1997-98. I don't know if that's true.

The actual number of people who have been directly offered the Rangers job and turned it down is very small. You could argue Jim McLean in 1983 was the last.

Reactions: SDF
Think I saw the two mentioned as suggestions because of what O Neill did with Leicster and Sir Alex was supposedly a fan of McGhee.

Strahan may have been the Scotland job, mixed up a bit, but before Eck or Sir Walter took over I think.

Any idea who some of the options were before PLG, can't really remember.

I don't recall McGhee or O'Neill or even Strachan ever being linked with the Rangers job.

Richard Moeller Nielsen was linked when Walter was going the first time. We had his son, Tommy, working in the bacroom staff at the time. We were aiming high at that time and I think Lippi has said he was asked circa 1997-98. I don't know if that's true.

The actual number of people who have been directly offered the Rangers job and turned it down is very small. You could argue Jim McLean in 1983 was the last.

Did SAF not turn us down as well? Was he not miffed at the wrong person asking him or something like that?

McGhee was never linked with us.

At no point was a monobrowed mutant who helped them win a centenary double ever going to be our manager.

Other names in 97/98 were Scala, Hitzfeld and Venables

In 05/06 it was Curbishley, Laudrup, Davies, Puel, Deschamps

Did SAF not turn us down as well? Was he not miffed at the wrong person asking him or something like that?

He claims to have spoken to John Paton a week after the 1983 Scottish Cup Final but said he wouldn't discuss the job as John Greig was his friend. After John Greig resigned, he said a friend of the board asked if he would be interested. He spoke to Scot Symon who told him not to take it unless Willie Waddell offered him the job as the board were split. He was never directly offered the job by Rangers. He should have done. He was actually linked by the press in May 1978 when Jock Wallace resigned and he was available then too. He should have got it then.

McGhee was never linked with us.

At no point was a monobrowed mutant who helped them win a centenary double ever going to be our manager.

Other names in 97/98 were Scala, Hitzfeld and Venables

In 05/06 it was Curbishley, Laudrup, Davies, Puel, Deschamps

I remember Venables in 1998 recommended George Graham. I presume he knew Graham would have taken it.

And, of course, we have Jimmy Calderwood claiming he was promised the job after Advocaat and that Murray orchestrated him getting the job at Dunfermline with his buddy Gavin Masterton. I never knew what to make of that.

I remember Venables in 1998 recommended George Graham. I presume he knew Graham would have taken it.

And, of course, we have Jimmy Calderwood claiming he was promised the job after Advocaat and that Murray orchestrated him getting the job at Dunfermline with his buddy Gavin Masterton. I never knew what to make of that.

I wonder what would've happened had Martin Edwards pulled the trigger on Ferguson in 1990.

Would we have went after him when Souness departed for Liverpool a year later ?

I wonder what would've happened had Martin Edwards pulled the trigger on Ferguson in 1990.

Would we have went after him when Souness departed for Liverpool a year later ?

Would Ferguson have been out of work for a year though? A sacked Ferguson in 1990 would, naturally, have had a much diminished reputation but would surely have found some takers. I also wonder what he would have been like. One of his biographies said he regarded December 1989 as the lowest time in his life - confidence shot to pieces. Ferguson had great ability but who knows what a major failure at Man Utd would have done to him.

Personally, I'm not convinced he would have ended up at Rangers even if he'd been sacked in 1990 by Man Utd. Murray liked winners and loyalty - Smith was picked for the latter reason.

Graham was also most people's favourite in 2001 when Advocaat moved upstairs, although I’m not sure there was ever any serious intention by the board in that direction.

I would have been happier at the time with him than I was with McLeish though.

Would Ferguson have been out of work for a year though? A sacked Ferguson in 1990 would, naturally, have had a much diminished reputation but would surely have found some takers. I also wonder what he would have been like. One of his biographies said he regarded December 1989 as the lowest time in his life - confidence shot to pieces. Ferguson had great ability but who knows what a major failure at Man Utd would have done to him.

Personally, I'm not convinced he would have ended up at Rangers even if he'd been sacked in 1990 by Man Utd. Murray liked winners and loyalty - Smith was picked for the latter reason.

Yeah, IIRC he said after the 5-1 Man City humping on a Sunday in later 1989 he went home, and straight to bed and didn't get up until the Tuesday.

Remember the banner "3 years and the same old crap excuses. Ta ra Fergie"

Back