Managers who really only hit gold once?

It would almost be harder to name managers who had repeated success without big resources. So remove the likes of Guardiola, Mourinho, Capello, Eriksson, etc etc. And of course success is always relative.

Say what you like about him but Colin Wanker has taken plenty teams to their ceiling (although that might just be laws of big numbers, given the jobs he's had). Nearer home Alex Totten had repeated success at his levels after leaving Rangers...
am I the only one that cant work out who Colin Wanker is?

Seriously? His record
Only follow follow could have a guy who has won 9 league titles in multiple countries as well as a CL title down as flash in the pan..

Yeah but if you only ever saw him coaching England and never saw a game of fitbaw outside of Britain, and heard John Motson mention he was a CL winner, you can see how one could arrive at the conclusion he’s a one hit wonder B-D

Not quite in line with the theme of the thread, but apart from winning the WC with Italy, incredible though that was, did Marcelo Lippi ever replicate the success he achieved initially at Juve?

I thought he did rather well as US manager?
He went from being "this is the guy we need" to "this guy has no idea" in no time, then got fired after starting the 2018 World Cup qualifiers with a couple of defeats including 4-0 to Costa Rica, they ended up not qualifying for that World Cup, first one they missed for a long time. Seemed to lose the players too.

Maybe awful was overselling it, he wasnt a total disaster, did ok at the 2014 world cup. But not the step forward they were hoping for.

Arguably Andre Villas Boas?

Had a terrific season with Porto and since then has only managed one Russian title and cup despite being fairly sought after for a period.

Arsehole lol. This was my one hahahahaha.

That guy has been his own worst enemy throughout his career.

Did Capello not become really popular because he was winning at a time when so many games in Italy were being fixed... that would explain why iirc there was talk of leaving the England job early for court cases. He also went to Russia after the Uk and done even more damage to their national team wtf were they thinking ?

Im also sure the time he won the CL it was around the same time when we went close and it was much easier to be successful than it is now.

There must be a tiny percentage of managers who ever win trophies compared to managers who never win any just by virtue of only one team being able to win any given competition.

I would've been around 6 years old when rangers won 9 in a row, so my memories of it aren't the strongest.

What I do wonder for those who were there, as a support, when going for 10 were we as insufferable as they've been the last 2 plus years.
Insufferable is my middle name,55 has took me to another level :cool:

Mike Walker:

• Sacked as manager of Colchester after a year.
  • Managed Norwich reserves.
  • Struck Gold: took over first team at Norwich and led them to their highest ever finish (3rd in the Premier league) and knocked Bayern Munich out of UEFA Cup.
  • Got the 'big job" at Everton and needed a last-day escape to avoid relegation, sacked early next season after only 10 months in the job with Everton bottom of the table.
  • Returned to Norwich and couldn't get them out of the championship.
  • Only other role was managing in Cyprus.

Mike Walker. Done well with Norwich, got them to a 3rd place finish in the Premiership and done reasonably well in Europe beating Bayern Munich. Got a move to Everton and was shite.

Kenny Shiels. Winning a trophy with a team like Killie is no small feat. Currently Northern Ireland women’s gaffer.

I thought he done well with City, got them promoted and had a decent record in the PL for a promoted side. Might be remembering wrong mind you

I might be aswell. I just remember it being a long decline after doing well with Newcastle

Frank Rijkaard.

Netherlands manager - Won only 2 games from his first 15, then won his final 2 warm ups games before Euro 2000, 4 wins on the bounce in the tournament before being knocked out by 9 men Italy in the semis

Sparta Rotterdam - 6 wins all season. Relegated for the first time in their history. Sacked at the end of the season.

Barcelona - Almost sacked after six months, knocked out of UEFA Cup by that mob, then proceeds to win back to back La Liga's and the Champions League. Last 2 seasons descends into a mess with talks of player indiscipline off the field.

Galatasaray - Lasts 15 months. Wins nothing.

Saudi Arabia - Wins only 7 of 27 games. Sacked after 18 months.

Claudio Ranieri won lower division titles and cup competitions at several clubs but really only 'struck gold' at Leicester.

What a 'strike', though.

David White with us. Took Clyde into a very respectful 3rd place in old first division, came to us but won nothing, went to Dundee and won the League Cup with them

Someone already beat me to Rijkaard.

Wonder what he's up to nowadays anyway?

Frank Rijkaard.

Netherlands manager - Won only 2 games from his first 15, then won his final 2 warm ups games before Euro 2000, 4 wins on the bounce in the tournament before being knocked out by 9 men Italy in the semis

Sparta Rotterdam - 6 wins all season. Relegated for the first time in their history. Sacked at the end of the season.

Barcelona - Almost sacked after six months, knocked out of UEFA Cup by that mob, then proceeds to win back to back La Liga's and the Champions League. Last 2 seasons descends into a mess with talks of player indiscipline off the field.

Galatasaray - Lasts 15 months. Wins nothing.

Saudi Arabia - Wins only 7 of 27 games. Sacked after 18 months.
Henk ten Cate was Rijkaard's assistant when it was going well at Barca. He left to manage Ajax & everything went to shit. Supposedly Rijkaard was too friendly with the players & left all the discipline to Henk. After he left Ronaldinho went into party mode & spent training sessions sleeping off hangovers on the massage table.

Reactions: SDF
Did Capello not become really popular because he was winning at a time when so many games in Italy were being fixed... that would explain why iirc there was talk of leaving the England job early for court cases. He also went to Russia after the Uk and done even more damage to their national team wtf were they thinking ?

Im also sure the time he won the CL it was around the same time when we went close and it was much easier to be successful than it is now.
He took Milan to 3 Champions League finals in a row. Destroyed Barcelona in Athens.

Won the league 4 times with Milan setting a record in 93/94 with least goals conceded.

Won the league with Roma. Only their third time in history and their first in 17 years. Haven't won it since.

Won the league twice in two seasons with Real Madrid. In 95/96 Real Madrid finished 6th. He took over and won the league the next season. In 05/06 Real finished 12 points behind Barcelona. He took over and won the league again the next season.

I always thought Wim Jansen was a strange one. He came in, broke our 10IAR then disappeared. You would have thought he’d get a longer deal at the piggery but I guess he wasn’t Irish Catholic enough for them.

Back