Managers who really only hit gold once?

Not quite in line with the theme of the thread, but apart from winning the WC with Italy, incredible though that was, did Marcelo Lippi ever replicate the success he achieved initially at Juve?

I think purposefully went down the China route post World Cup. Unless it was enforced as he couldn't find work elsewhere.

Did Capello not become really popular because he was winning at a time when so many games in Italy were being fixed... that would explain why iirc there was talk of leaving the England job early for court cases. He also went to Russia after the Uk and done even more damage to their national team wtf were they thinking ?

Im also sure the time he won the CL it was around the same time when we went close and it was much easier to be successful than it is now.
Nonsense. His club management career is incredible. He also won the league in Spain.

Dare I suggest the Magnificent Bastard?

Souness in fairness won trophies with Liverpool, galatasary, and Blackburn as a manager so hardly a failure.

I forgot he won a cup with Blackburn. That is impressive. I never said he was a failure tbf. But his time with us was real gold, and he definitely isn't considered a succesful Liverpool manager (by their fans).

Sorry to say it but Wim Jansen. Managed Celtic and was an assistant in just about every other job he had.

Stopped us winning 10 in a row in a season when we gifted it to them.
Should be taking note of that this season tbh. Not that I'm worried about Big Flange but we absolutely must put them in their place at Ibrox to lay down a marker.

No idea if mentioned but Alf Ramsay won ( I think ) only one trophy as a Club Manager
He is also only one as an international Manager

Chris Coleman Wales 2016.

Could also say though as he married Charlotte Jackson that he wakes up every day polishing that gold medal round his neck.

I remember starting a thread on here not long after that Euros about over rated managers and naming him the biggest one and was roundly laughed at by pretty much everyone. I had the last laugh, wish I could find it :shh:

Michael Laudrup won the league cup with Swansea and had them playing some lovely football. Sacked in 2014 and finished up in Qatar.

He did very well at Fulham, arguably overachieved at Newcastle and was reasonable elsewhere. His kamikazee approach to his career was his undoing more than any actual failings was a manager.
He never the heights of that first Newcastle period though?

The serial final looser Hector cuper done well at mallorca highest ever 3rd place finish in the league and lost the cup winner cup final went to Valencia won a domestic cup probably turned them into the 3rd force in Spain also two back to back champions league finals ( lost both ) went to Inter lost the league on the last day of the season then sacked after that he bounced a round random countries and clubs with no real success. After he left Valencia he looked like he was going to be one of the games top coaches

He took Milan to 3 Champions League finals in a row. Destroyed Barcelona in Athens.

Won the league 4 times with Milan setting a record in 93/94 with least goals conceded.

Won the league with Roma. Only their third time in history and their first in 17 years. Haven't won it since.

Won the league twice in two seasons with Real Madrid. In 95/96 Real Madrid finished 6th. He took over and won the league the next season. In 05/06 Real finished 12 points behind Barcelona. He took over and won the league again the next season.
That was my favourite ever EC final.

Owen coyle. Got a very average Burnley team promoted to Premier league, turned down celtic and moved to Bolton. Last job was a sacking from Ross County after only a few months in the job

Nonsense. His club management career is incredible. He also won the league in Spain.
Yeah hit gold once, its at top of the thread, even then probably with the best team, best players and a huge advantage over the rest.

No one wants to speak about match fixing which isnt his fault but clearly something that has helped him to some success, even then its only Italian football easily and by far the weakest of the so called top leagues with the most cash.

The most overrated manager ever.

Put it this way how many on here would have been happy to see him at Ibrox instead of walter or gerrard.. no one... there would be a completely different reaction if there was any talk of Capello coming to Rangers.

Whats he doing these days apart from talking crap and stealing a nice wage from clubs or countries that have not properly checked his career and are going on some shady stats ?

Yeah hit gold once, its at top of the thread, even then probably with the best team, best players and a huge advantage over the rest.

No one wants to speak about match fixing which isnt his fault but clearly something that has helped him to some success, even then its only Italian football easily and by far the weakest of the so called top leagues with the most cash.

The most overrated manager ever.

Put it this way how many on here would have been happy to see him at Ibrox instead of walter or gerrard.. no one... there would be a completely different reaction if there was any talk of Capello coming to Rangers.

Whats he doing these days apart from talking crap and stealing a nice wage from clubs or countries that have not properly checked his career and are going on some shady stats ?

Italy wasn't the weakest of the top leagues in the 90s though...

Italy wasn't the weakest of the top leagues in the 90s though...
I suppose thats true right enough, was it the most corrupt league did he benefit from games being fixed ? its odd that so many follow that league closely and have missed that part out.

No idea if mentioned but Alf Ramsay won ( I think ) only one trophy as a Club Manager
He is also only one as an international Manager
He took Ipswich to two promotions winning the league both times, then in Ipswich's first season ever in the top flight they won the league.

Don Revie?

Majorly successful at Leeds but not so much with England. Then disappeared off to the Middle East and was never heard from in football again.
Beat me to it. Revie could have walked into any job in the early 70's, but after he left Leeds for England did absolutely nothing again.

I'd like to add Billy McNeil to this. Was relatively successful with Celtic then took over Aston Villa then Man City. Incredibly he managed to get both relegated in the same season. Came back to Celtic had one decent season then turned them into a circus act.

Back