Manchester City Euro Ban Overturned.

More proof that UEFA are corrupt - wonder how much this cost, and who’s received the brown envelopes..... a fu(king sham.

it was CAS who overturned the ban imposed by UEFA, not sure how that proves UEFA are corrupt unless you think the decision to ban City was corrupt?

FFP is a farce in all honesty and rather than creating ''Fair Play'', it's actually protecting a select, elite number of clubs and making it impossible for clubs outside of the little elite bubble break into it. Rangers could get the richest owner in the world yet we still wouldn't be able to compete for the CL because these rules would hold us back from investing in the players that would get us competing at the elite level of the game.

Owners should be allowed to spend as much of their own money as they want in the businesses they operate.

Mad that a team who have cheated are still 21 points behind the league leaders.

Maybe Liverpool would’ve won the League last season if City weren’t cheats

The FA / PL’s silence is deafening re City’s financial irregularities over re ent times, big fines don’t mean shít to n owner who can just up oil production for an hour or 2 to cover a £50m fine.

FFP is a farce in all honesty and rather than creating ''Fair Play'', it's actually protecting a select, elite number of clubs and making it impossible for clubs outside of the little elite bubble break into it. Rangers could get the richest owner in the world yet we still wouldn't be able to compete for the CL because these rules would hold us back from investing in the players that would get us competing at the elite level of the game.

Owners should be allowed to spend as much of their own money as they want in the businesses they operate.

That’s football in general now. They were never going to ban a club that has a few of the world’s elite players and one of the world’s top coaches. Similarly the CL format is all setup to more or less ensure it’s the same elite clubs competing at the business end every single year, and even in international football FIFA changed qualifying rules for the Euros at the last minute when there was a serious chance France and Portugal wouldn’t make it and they’d have to have their tournament without the likes of Ronaldo.

It’s just big business and they’ll bend (or chop and change) the rules whenever it’s convenient.

Either we want FFP or we want football to be a billionaire's playground.

We can't have both.

I'd rather FFP was strictly enforced and that no club spent more money than it could earn, other than for strictly controlled investment in infrastructure. The Glazers have destroyed Man United. Rich middle east investment has distorted French football and has allowed Man City to spend massive amounts of money. Corrupt state sweeteners have done the same with Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Money has killed top flight football. If they want a proper money league then we'd be as well seeing the formation of a European super league and let the rest of us get back to enjoying football.

Were my favourite English team growing up as my Uncle moved there and followed them but can't stand them now.
New stadium, new badge and buying their way to anything they want.
Man City have been a Club without a soul for years they are in a false position in the history of the English game sadly that's what money does. We are always wanting to get to the Premiership but if it meant selling out our support would it be worth it,Rangers are bigger than most Clubs but the stature of a Club now is really based on how much money that they can earn its all to do with the luck of what Country they are in.

I used to have this debate with superrangers, who basically didn’t want anyone challenging or threatening to make life more difficult for his own club. Essentially these clubs have no chance of elevating themselves to the top and staying there if they don’t get cash injections from rich sugar daddies. Otherwise you just can’t break dominance of the already established, financially powerful clubs who continue to generate more and more money each year to keep themselves where they are.

I’m sure if Rangers joined the Premier League and finished around mid table or lower for a few seasons and then suddenly a rich investor comes in ready to propel us upwards and make us title challengers, I’m sure everyone would be absolutely up in arms about that and that they’d directly oppose it....
And it’s always been thus.

Whereas back at the turn of the 20th century it was wealthy mill owners and textile merchants who pumped money into clubs through to the ‘fairytale’ story of local boy done good Jack Walkers steel empire funded Blackburn Rovers in the 90s, successful teams have relied on an injection of cash from somewhere to get them over the final hurdle or cement their place at the top.

Instead of local merchants and business owners it’s now Middle Eastern consortiums, American venture capitalist groups or - the most dubious and if you are so inclined distasteful and abhorrent of the lot given how they likely accumulated their wealth - Russian and Chinese oligarchs/kleptocrats.

I wouldn’t say the morals and ethics of the US based venture capitalist group are that far removed from the government investment front groups of the Petroleum-states to make them beacons of light, transparency and fairness either

If Sky collapsed a lot of English Teams would be in real danger of going bust over night. You have Championship Clubs with wage bills 120% of their revenue because they are trying to force their way into the EPL and access the huge TV Money that is available.

I'd say the disproportionate TV deals certain countries have is more of an issue with regards to Financial Fair Play than a rich owner spending his own money on his business.

I'm no fan of Man City but if it was Barca, Madrid or Bayern, a ban wouldn't have been been considered.

At least they're now being balanced in their corruption. Only a thread about UEFA could bring out a sentence like that.

No, wait a minute - Rangers can't currently get into the elite bubble because of rampant, unregulated spending that places the highest chance of success onto clubs who have been lucky enough to be selected as part of some sportswashing programme.

FFP is also ultimately meant to support the clubs and force them to operate within their means, a form of deregulation that's meant to enforce sensible spending in a way that safeguards the future of clubs whose debt is as a high as, in Barcelona's case, nearly a thousand million dollars.

Sometimes in these situations you need to respond as a concerned citizen and not as a football fan.

It’s an absolute joke this has been overturned and sums up what’s wrong with UEFA and the state funded teams.

Listening to various podcasts that discusses the case, the issue isn’t that city say they didn’t do anything wrong, it’s how UEFA “acquired” the information that allowed them to punish city.

They made a defence about being hacked, and evidence acquired illegally.

this isn’t Some win for football against the suits. Its allowing teams to do what they want.

And it’s always been thus.

Whereas back at the turn of the 20th century it was wealthy mill owners and textile merchants who pumped money into clubs through to the ‘fairytale’ story of local boy done good Jack Walkers steel empire funded Blackburn Rovers in the 90s, successful teams have relied on an injection of cash from somewhere to get them over the final hurdle or cement their place at the top.

Instead of local merchants and business owners it’s now Middle Eastern consortiums, American venture capitalist groups or - the most dubious and if you are so inclined distasteful and abhorrent of the lot given how they likely accumulated their wealth - Russian and Chinese oligarchs/kleptocrats.

I wouldn’t say the morals and ethics of the US based venture capitalist group are that far removed from the government investment front groups of the Petroleum-states to make them beacons of light, transparency and fairness either

You're right in a lot of these but the situation we now find ourselves in football is utterly unprecedented.

Carefully cultivated Victorian clubs - formed as recreational pastimes for navvies, bored young boys, disaffected youths, factory workers, whatever, and who in some cases still serve as important pillars of their communities - now find themselves being used as husks by some of the most abhorrent regimes in the world today, simply as an expensive sportwashing regime that attempts to portray their country in anything other than a brilliant light. It's utterly appalling.

They'd be plenty of guys donning the Arab headgear if some rich Middle East sugar daddy decided Rangers were on his list but on that case I think I'd give serious thought as to whether I'd be back to support a club formed by four young boys being used as an advertisement for some awful little country out in Asia.

FPP is a nonsense anyway. if a billionaire wants to pump gazillions into football, then let them. as long as its money and not debt. the real people to watch are the likes of the glaziers who are sucking money out of football
Completely agree - UEFA are saying only clubs with lots of fans and big tv deals should be able to win our premier competitions. What’s wrong if some rich folk want to fling all their money to have a different team get to the top! I’d just prefer it if it was a smaller nation you seen getting there to have more variety. Champions league is just the same teams and players over and over, I find it rather boring.

I’m begging to hate modern football.

If it wasn’t for Rangers and my season ticket I pretty much wouldn’t bother.

People in Scotland might well point the finger and laugh about the rich being rich but our game in Scotland is just as corrupt but far more tin pot than anywhere else.

Sensible for it to be overturned, FFP is a joke.

If someone wants to fire billions into a club then crack on, if UEFA were interested in financial parity then CL and Europa League money would be an equal split based on participation rather than the bias they have in their breakdown

giphy.gif

WellwornAjarConch-size_restricted.gif

Sensible for it to be overturned, FFP is a joke.

If someone wants to fire billions into a club then crack on, if UEFA were interested in financial parity then CL and Europa League money would be an equal split based on participation rather than the bias they have in their breakdown

How can a Rangers fan - a team whose chances of ever reaching the Champions' League group stages are difficult, never mind getting out of it and into the later stages - really encourage such financial abandon after everything that's happened to us in the last ten years? That's a mental idea.

FFP is meant to - and it's not always successful, though - protect clubs from their own owners. What football fan in the world today wouldn't want to see their owners act more carefully and come under a form of regulation?

In theory I think it's right. There has to be some sort of legislation around finances. However, that only works if it's actually enforced.
There does, but not with sugar daddies who are spending their own cash. This rule should be to protect the clubs against utter charlatans like what happened to us, not genuine billionaires who are improving their club, not harming it.

You're right in a lot of these but the situation we now find ourselves in football is utterly unprecedented.

Carefully cultivated Victorian clubs - formed as recreational pastimes for navvies, bored young boys, disaffected youths, factory workers, whatever, and who in some cases still serve as important pillars of their communities - now find themselves being used as husks by some of the most abhorrent regimes in the world today, simply as an expensive sportwashing regime that attempts to portray their country in anything other than a brilliant light. It's utterly appalling.

They'd be plenty of guys donning the Arab headgear if some rich Middle East sugar daddy decided Rangers were on his list but on that case I think I'd give serious thought as to whether I'd be back to support a club formed by four young boys being used as an advertisement for some awful little country out in Asia.
If a billionaire came in and wanted to invest almost unlimited cash with no danger whatsoever to the club then you would consider giving up being a bear.
Really?

I think you would be in a very small minority.

How can a Rangers fan - a team whose chances of ever reaching the Champions' League group stages are difficult, never mind getting out of it and into the later stages - really encourage such financial abandon after everything that's happened to us in the last ten years? That's a mental idea.

FFP is meant to - and it's not always successful, though - protect clubs from their own owners. What football fan in the world today wouldn't want to see their owners act more carefully and come under a form of regulation?

Extrapolate that to Scotland then should we have some sort of mechanism to stop us overspending to win the SPL.

You either believe in the concept of financial fair play and apply it everywhere or believe in the right for owners to invest as they see fit

Back