Manchester United

I cannot for the life of me see where United go from here, guys on so much money but they don't give a feck, players getting paid way more than their talents merit, but the fundamental problem is Ferguson allowed a team to grow old together, giggs, Keane, ferdinando, Scholes, neville were going to be nigh on impossible to replace, any manager would struggle to compete with what was left.
Ferguson left nearly 6 years ago after winning the league. They have had 4 managers in that time and spent hundreds of millions of pounds on recruitment so your analogy doesn't really add up. There must be a deep malaise within this club if managers the calibre of Van Gall and Mourinho can fail.

Doesn't matter who they might bring in as manager next. The squad they have is a million miles away. Their one genuinely world-class player, De Gea, has been pretty ordinary for nearly 2 years now. He's probably been dragged down to the level of those around him. McTominay and James are bang average and are yet being hailed as there big hopes which says everything about the shower they have become. Wan-Bissaka is a very good young player, Maguire decent enough and there's still a bit of hope for Martial and Rashford yet, but they will need a complete overhaul to compete with City and Liverpool regardless of them bringing in an Allegri or a Pochettino.

Who the f*ck are Man Utd?

A bang average middle of the road EPL team, thats who.

Love to see them struggling, long may it continue.

What is with the hatred of Man Utd by so many? Genuinely curious

I grew up in the 90s and really loved their story. A group of young local lads, managed by a fierce Scottish manager, grow up to win the CL in dramatic fashion.

A proper football team with real roots. I seem to be in the minority on here though.

Not much time for Man U as a club but they f@cked up badly giving Ole the job.

After Fergie's reign, they always need someone who commands instant respect and has that aura about them in charge. As others have said, looks like Mourinho's 2nd was some achievement given the state of the club as a whole.

Small comparisons to us in a way, as who on earth could we find with said aura after a certain Mr Smith? We finally found it and hit that bang on the money with Gerrard. Man U need someone like that, who lifts the whole club and has top players itching to play for the club again.

It's crazy to think Chelsea with Frank Lampard who have a transfer embargo are 5th!

Man United are humped and will be a mid table for the foreseeable future. Dud players on high wages on long term contracts, a manager who is useless, out of his depth and a dressing room who are inhabited by cockwombles.

Even if they get rid of him and the players they will never spend the amount of money required nor will they get the right players.

Which suits me to the ground!

Not much time for Man U as a club but they f@cked up badly giving Ole the job.

After Fergie's reign, they always need someone who commands instant respect and has that aura about them in charge. As others have said, looks like Mourinho's 2nd was some achievement given the state of the club as a whole.

Small comparisons to us in a way, as who on earth could we find with said aura after a certain Mr Smith? We finally found it and hit that bang on the money with Gerrard. Man U need someone like that, who lifts the whole club and has top players itching to play for the club again.
Don't forget his treble, as well.

Feel a bit for their fans.

Shambles of an operation.

Also can’t help but think, decent CEO, Director of Football and a Manager would give them a fighting chance.

They have zero strategy it seems. I’m bemused by what they’re trying to achieve at present.

For the money spent, their squad is laughable.

Is Poch the man?

Feel a bit for their fans.

Shambles of an operation.

Also can’t help but think, decent CEO, Director of Football and a Manager would give them a fighting chance.

They have zero strategy it seems. I’m bemused by what they’re trying to achieve at present.

For the money spent, their squad is laughable.

Is Poch the man?

This is bang on.

You look at the Glazers and wonder if they're even interested in making United successful again.

After Van Gaal and Mourinho failed to turn it around, wasn't that the point to restrategise?

Bin Woodward, bring in a new CEO, DOF, manager and a 3 year plan.

Instead they gave a failed Cardiff manager the gig on a full time basis and just hoped for the best.

Utter madness.

It's crazy to think Chelsea with Frank Lampard who have a transfer embargo are 5th!

Man United are humped and will be a mid table for the foreseeable future. Dud players on high wages on long term contracts, a manager who is useless, out of his depth and a dressing room who are inhabited by cockwombles.

Even if they get rid of him and the players they will never spend the amount of money required nor will they get the right players.

Which suits me to the ground!

There problems go much deeper than on the park. You sense OGS was appointed because they knew he wouldn't rock the boat and would take much of the heat in the meantime.

Until they get shot of the Glazers and Ed Woodward (who seems good at making them money and not much else) they are going nowhere. They simply are a money-making scheme right now and that suits those in charge perfectly - the results and success are purely incidental.

The thing is how do you get rid of owners who are bleeding you dry without harming your club??

You look at the Glazers and wonder if they're even interested in making United successful again

Nope, just sucking money out it. Their old man was a crafty bugger who realised that you could make money out of a football team as long as you get the right one.

When you look at how much cash has gone on paying their leveraged loans and dividends over the years, MU could have had a proper succession plan and team development.

They are probably still the biggest draw in Europe revenue wise

Nope, just sucking money out it. Their old man was a crafty bugger who realised that you could make money out of a football team as long as you get the right one.

When you look at how much cash has gone on paying their leveraged loans and dividends over the years, MU could have had a proper succession plan and team development.

They are probably still the biggest draw in Europe revenue wise

I don't really pay a lot of attention to what's going on there, but I seem to remember there being opposition towards them from the very beginning.

I'm a firm believer that if the structure at the very top is corrupt, there's little you can do to resolve things further down.

As much as I think Pochettino would be a good fit for them, he should be extremely wary about taking the job with these two leeches at the helm and that idiot Woodward pulling the strings above him.

I grew up in the 90s and really loved their story. A group of young local lads, managed by a fierce Scottish manager, grow up to win the CL in dramatic fashion.

A proper football team with real roots. I seem to be in the minority on here though.
Anti Ranger Busby for a start. Tommy Docherty too.

They waited until his 'new manager bounce' period was over, and results had started to turn and then announced him as manager. Every man and their dog knew then how it would go. If they had acted then they might have got a Conte or an Allegri instead.
I thought it was the opposite,he did well as temp manager and after they put PSG out they jumped the gun and instead of waiting to see how the season panned out they gave him a long term contract and it's been downhill since.

Seems to be because some are convinced they have some link with the mentally challengeds, like Liverpool, that doesn't really exist.

Every time I see Man U's team sheet v their opponents I think to myself, f/ck the other team on paper look better man for man. This would have been unthinkable in the 90's and early 00's.

You are not going to get near challenging for honours with a team of Young, Lingard, McTomminay and Fred (who might just be the worst player ever to play for them - £50m FFS).

Rashford is not the player that the English Media will have you believe but in a better team, under a better manager he surely would flourish.

Punting Lukaku, who would guarantee 20-25 goals was madness without a world class replacement.

Pogba is a lazy Bastard and spending £80m on Maguire shows utter desperation.

Giving OGS the job was absolutely criminal - everyone saw what was coming.

The fact Ferguson won the league in his last season with the squad at that time was a minor miracle.

Make no mistake they are firmly in a relegation battle this season they really are that bad!
They will not be in a relegation battle ffs,pish as they are right now they will not stick with their manager for much longer if things carry on before appointing someone else who knows what they are doing.
I would get down the bookies ASAP if you are convinced of that as you will get a healthy return for your money.

I thought it was the opposite,he did well as temp manager and after they put PSG out they jumped the gun and instead of waiting to see how the season panned out they gave him a long term contract and it's been downhill since.
They appointed him 3 weeks after the PSG game, after they'd just been beaten off Arsenal and Wolves back to back.

I personally just don't like them, my English club are Leeds so there's that element of it and I never liked Ferguson either thought he was a greeting faced c*nt.

Honestly thought it was after the PSG game,either way it was a poor appointment.
He was appointed because of the PSG result definitely, not sure why it took them so long to do it after that though. Sums up their ineptitude these days i guess, can't even make the bad decisions quickly! :p

Even their pursuit of Maguire was a weird one. They were told in June that he'd cost £80m, they then 'negotiate' all summer, only to end up paying the £80m anyway right at the end of the transfer window.

Everything about the club is just an absolute shambles just now, such a massive fall from where they were 10 years ago.

Really? Arsene Wenger outclassed Alex Ferguson...? Are we talking Subbuteo or Fantasy Football League? Ferguson had Wenger on his mantlepiece, mate.

When the playing field was more level (pre Emirates Stadium), the results were quite even. From 1996 to 2006, Arsene won 3 Premier Leagues, 4 FA Cups, had the Invincibles season & got to a Champions League final.
Fergie over the same period won 5 Premier Leagues, 2 FA Cups, a League Cup & a Champions League.

After the new stadium was built Wenger's hands were tied somewhat, Abramovich & Mourinho came in & took the spending & league to a new level. Utd could keep up with them somewhat off the park & on the park, whereas Arsenal struggled to keep up as they couldn't compete with the big 2 for spending, & seemed to be stuck in a cycle of selling before they could buy.

Then the Sheikh's came into City & blew everyone out the water.

P
History repeating itself,the old ones on here will remember the decline they went into when Busby left and United went through a load of dud managers and even got relegated,Fergie leaves and it looks like it’s all happening again.
Was just going to post that. It's a carbon copy of what happened back then,which resulted in relegation.
It still took them a good few years to get to the top after coming back to division one,although they had a couple of fa cup wins,which was a big thing in them days.
Another similarity is that during them days liverpool were dominant and it seems they're close to being there again.
Just shows you in england that big clubs can fall. If youd had told me back then that liverpool wouldn't win the league for another 30 years at least,I would have called you a doctor

Could be his last game as manager I think.

Surely he doesn't survive being beaten off a halfstrength Newcastle side?
Liverpool up next for them and that could be a hiding the way they are playing. Don't think it matters who they bring in,there is just not enough quality and I'd say Chelsea's young guys are far superior. They'll need an overhaul to get back.

When the playing field was more level (pre Emirates Stadium), the results were quite even. From 1996 to 2006, Arsene won 3 Premier Leagues, 4 FA Cups, had the Invincibles season & got to a Champions League final.
Fergie over the same period won 5 Premier Leagues, 2 FA Cups, a League Cup & a Champions League.

After the new stadium was built Wenger's hands were tied somewhat, Abramovich & Mourinho came in & took the spending & league to a new level. Utd could keep up with them somewhat off the park & on the park, whereas Arsenal struggled to keep up as they couldn't compete with the big 2 for spending, & seemed to be stuck in a cycle of selling before they could buy.

Then the Sheikh's came into City & blew everyone out the water.

So Fergie got the better of him, then? He wasn't outclassed?

And we're not even considering what Fergie achieved pre-1996 and post-2006.

Liverpool up next for them and that could be a hiding the way they are playing. Don't think it matters who they bring in,there is just not enough quality and I'd say Chelsea's young guys are far superior. They'll need an overhaul to get back.

Thing with Chelsea's young players are they have been out on loan for a few seasons prior to this and have hit the ground running after playing in a tough Championship League (not quality but it's a slog that league).

These Man U youngsters (Greenwood and the boy with the hair) have never kicked a ball other than youth football. The there is Pereira (sp) who is garbage.

We could see Man U "do a Liverpool" and not win the league again for 30 years or so. They are so far behind City and Liverpool it is scary.

Mentioned this on talksport this morning that the word is it could be his last game

You obviously feel the need to appease them, just be happy for you to point out where my original statement was incorrect.

Appease who exactly? You have your opinion of Alex Ferguson. It is contrary to the opinion of pretty much every football supporter or anyone involved in the game or football journalism.

I don't really need to point out anything. Your entire post, from the first word to the last is, quite frankly, utter nonsense!

So Fergie got the better of him, then? He wasn't outclassed?

And we're not even considering what Fergie achieved pre-1996 and post-2006.

Oh, I was in no way agreeing with the poster that said that Fergie was outclassed, I was just pointing out to the poster I quoted that pre Emirates it a pretty good competition.

Obviously post Emirates it's a different story but as I said, Wenger was working under constraints that Ferguson wasn't.

Im not disputing in any way how good Ferguson was as a manager. His rivalry with Wenger & Arsenal is still my favourite part of the Premiership era.

Back