Manchester United

I remember that glorious day well. And beaten at home by Man City with former United hero Denis Law scoring the winner.
i have a mate in middleton ,manchester,big bear as well as city fan, he always says to me whenever he is having a bad day ,or is feeling a little bit down,he just thinks back to that day standing with the other city fans in the scoreboard paddock at old trafford, and instantly things dont seem too bad

Tell me where I’m wrong?
Ten times the spending power of other clubs? He build the success on the class of 92 - Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Butt and the two Neville’s. cost him nothing. Add £505k Schmeichel, £3m Keane and £1.2m Cantona and there’s a whole team for around £5m.

When he did start spending big, he got well over 10 years out of Rio and Rooney so the investment was worth it.

Over a long tenure at Man Utd, there were only a handful of poor signings.

When the playing field was more level (pre Emirates Stadium), the results were quite even. From 1996 to 2006, Arsene won 3 Premier Leagues, 4 FA Cups, had the Invincibles season & got to a Champions League final.
Fergie over the same period won 5 Premier Leagues, 2 FA Cups, a League Cup & a Champions League.

After the new stadium was built Wenger's hands were tied somewhat, Abramovich & Mourinho came in & took the spending & league to a new level. Utd could keep up with them somewhat off the park & on the park, whereas Arsenal struggled to keep up as they couldn't compete with the big 2 for spending, & seemed to be stuck in a cycle of selling before they could buy.

Then the Sheikh's came into City & blew everyone out the water.
Wenger was a great manager (certainly in his early years at Arsenal) but SAF was a completely different level. Their respective records show that.

i have a mate in middleton ,manchester,big bear as well as city fan, he always says to me whenever he is having a bad day ,or is feeling a little bit down,he just thinks back to that day standing with the other city fans in the scoreboard paddock at old trafford, and instantly things dont seem too bad
There’s a lot of stories about City fans having an ‘ interesting’ journey home that day.
United fans didn’t take it too well and would run amok the following season at the 2nd division small towns.

Wenger was a great manager (certainly in his early years at Arsenal) but SAF was a completely different level. Their respective records show that.

That’s true but Wenger was one of the very few that ate away at Fergies soul. And let’s face it, he was a c*nt and a bully throughout his Old Trafford tenure. Very apt qualities that have summed up that club for 50 years.

That’s true but Wenger was one of the very few that ate away at Fergies soul. And let’s face it, he was a c*nt and a bully throughout his Old Trafford tenure. Very apt qualities that have summed up that club for 50 years.
I don't think you can get can get to the level that SAF did by being a nice guy. Whatever he did, it worked. For someone to say Wenger outclassed him is complete nonsense. And I say that as someone who thought Wenger was a brilliant manager, certainly in his first 8 or so years in England. But Wenger became a bit of a parody at Arsenal.

Zidane should be next Utd boss.

Or maybe some sort of Salford dream team Carrick, Giggs, Butt and G Neville as boss.... with Keane in some sort of dressing room mentalist role.

Thought ole might do well myself but he looks totally lost out there, i think Pochettino is a wee bit overrated but they might thinks hes the safer option. Wont be Rodgers.

I hope my reply on post 198 explains what I mean better. I wasn't trying to have a go at Fergie in any way.

Oh phuckin shut up.

Whoever employed Alex got 100% every day of the week. From St Mirren to Aberdeen to Utd. He was the ultimate professional manager and should have been our gaffer in 78.

If a Utd player pulled out an AK47 Alex would have said the ref was wrong to show a red card.

This is the club of Best, Law and Charlton. To suggest for a second they are in any way papish is just ridiculous.

My old man's three heroes were Jim, Denis and Bobby.

They are a fantastic club going through a bad time.

In some ways United’s demise in the last 10 or so years has been comparable to our own despite both being under very different circumstances.

Throughout my childhood and early teens Rangers and Manchester United were the dominant teams in the UK yet both find themselves falling short in recent years which, as I say despite being due to very different circumstances, would have been unthinkable 10 years ago.

Ten times the spending power of other clubs? He build the success on the class of 92 - Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Butt and the two Neville’s. cost him nothing. Add £505k Schmeichel, £3m Keane and £1.2m Cantona and there’s a whole team for around £5m.

When he did start spending big, he got well over 10 years out of Rio and Rooney so the investment was worth it.

Over a long tenure at Man Utd, there were only a handful of poor signings.

Oh yes, the class of 92 who actually didn’t win the league in 92 at all, Wilkinson totally psyched SAF out. Your point that Man U didn’t have the most money would have had some validity in the above season, but as I say they didn’t win the league. 93 when they did win it had the youngsters you named who were nicely supplemented by Schmeichel, Bruce, Irwin, pallister, Parker, ince,Kanchelskis, robson, Webb, McClair and Wallace. Let’s compare the value of those with any other squad from 93 shall we?

Oh yes, the class of 92 who actually didn’t win the league in 92 at all, Wilkinson totally psyched SAF out. Your point that Man U didn’t have the most money would have had some validity in the above season, but as I say they didn’t win the league. 93 when they did win it had the youngsters you named who were nicely supplemented by Schmeichel, Bruce, Irwin, pallister, Parker, ince,Kanchelskis, robson, Webb, McClair and Wallace. Let’s compare the value of those with any other squad from 93 shall we?

Wilkinson 'totally psyched SAF out' ? There was also the small matter of United having a fixture pile up and having to play 5 league games in 10 days at the end of the season because the league had to finish early for Euro 92. Sound familiar ? Or did Gordon Strachan psyche out Walter as well when we had the same problem ?

92/93 - Schmeichel, Bruce, Irwin, McClair, Kanchelskis were all under £1m each. Danny Wallace played 2 games as a sub, Neil Webb came on as a sub once before being sold during the season back to Forest for £800k

Compare the value of those with any other squad ? Ok then. Let's do that.

Liverpool - James £1m, Wright £2.7m, Walters £1.2m, Stewart £2.5m, Saunders £2.3m, Thomas £1.5m, Rush £2.7m, Rosenthal £1m - Finished 6th.

Blackburn - Shearer £3.3m, Ripley £1.3m, Gallacher £1.5m, Newell £1.1m, Andersson £800,000, Hendry £750,000. Sherwood £750,000, Le Saux £700,000 - Finished 4th

Leeds - Lukic £1m, Dorigo £1.3m, Sterland £800,000, McAllister £1m, Rocastle £2.2m, Hodge £900,000, Wallace £1.6m. You can throw in Cantona for £1m as well before he was sold - Finished 17th.

How are those comparisons?

Oh phuckin shut up.

Whoever employed Alex got 100% every day of the week. From St Mirren to Aberdeen to Utd. He was the ultimate professional manager and should have been our gaffer in 78.

If a Utd player pulled out an AK47 Alex would have said the ref was wrong to show a red card.

This is the club of Best, Law and Charlton. To suggest for a second they are in any way papish is just ridiculous.

Did he ever see the greatest ?
The boy wonder..." I have found you a genius"...

The youngsters from class of 92 didn't feature regularly until 95/96.

Oh phuckin shut up.

Give over and give your mouth a rest. Man United were the first media club, the first glory hunters club, the first tourist club. Even when they got relegated, their exploits in the 2nd division gained far more attention from a sycophantic media than the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Leeds and City in the top flight.
Best, Law and Charlton were great players but during that era, United's Red Army had the biggest hooIigan mob the game has ever seen. Thousands running amok at most away games and smashing up town centres. Especially when they were down a division and sorting out the likes of Orient, Notts County and Blackpool.
Ferguson treated referees in much the same way the vermin do up here. Constant criticism and veiled threats that the FA , much like their Scottish counterparts were reluctant and even intimidated to do anything about.
Their fall from grace is long overdue. Perhaps it might even curtail the arrogance and entitlement that both the club and support have exuded for so many decades.

Last edited:
Zidane should be next Utd boss.

Or maybe some sort of Salford dream team Carrick, Giggs, Butt and G Neville as boss.... with Keane in some sort of dressing room mentalist role.

Thought ole might do well myself but he looks totally lost out there, i think Pochettino is a wee bit overrated but they might thinks hes the safer option. Wont be Rodgers.

Why Zidane?

He's lost the plot at Real Madrid this season and without Ronaldo they look a relatively poor side.

There’s a lot of stories about City fans having an ‘ interesting’ journey home that day.
United fans didn’t take it too well and would run amok the following season at the 2nd division small towns.
I went to a lot of the matches that season and didn’t see much running amok.

They gave the manager’s job to Solskjaer, what did they think was going to happen?

What other Prem / Championship would’ve hired him - none.

He was simply a useful idiot who would take the heat and not rock the boat and that suited Woodward just fine. I suspect that Woodward has no intention of sorting out their real issues as that would in all likelihood see him out of a job.

From the start of the season I highly doubt anybody thought OGS would still be in a job come Christmas and that is no way for seemingly the biggest club in world football (as some keep telling us) to be starting a new campaign.

Of all the available or likely replacements for Solksjaer (you feel now it is only a question of time for him) that the Man U. hierarchy, knowing they cannot afford to screw up again, will be looking to appoint someone who has a proven record of accomplishment in the EPL. Consequently, rather than gambling on someone like Allegri for e.g., at the end of the day I believe they will opt for either Pochettino or Rodgers.

Of all the available or likely replacements for Solksjaer (you feel now it is only a question of time for him) that the Man U. hierarchy, knowing they cannot afford to screw up again, will be looking to appoint someone who has a proven record of accomplishment in the EPL. Consequently, rather than gambling on someone like Allegri for e.g., at the end of the day I believe they will opt for either Pochettino or Rodgers.

If Man United are to salvage their league season, they need to sack OGS, hire Pochettino and pull out all the stops to sign Gareth Bale in January.

Pure sweetcorn sh1te

Massive rebuild required in the summer

So they spend £80m and £50m on two players
When £130m gets you 4 30m players with change and improves the squad rather than just two positions

Lazy lazy scouting

What is with the hatred of Man Utd by so many? Genuinely curious

I grew up in the 90s and really loved their story. A group of young local lads, managed by a fierce Scottish manager, grow up to win the CL in dramatic fashion.

A proper football team with real roots. I seem to be in the minority on here though.
I don't have a problem with them (or any English team for that matter). I always think of Law, Best and Charlton when I think of Utd.

Back