Problems logging into RTV

Not sure if this has been covered in the thread already or not...

Anyway due to both my iPad & iPhone deciding to update about 15 minutes before kick off, I couldn’t use the app.

So on my MacBook I loaded up the RTV website & was very surprised to see that the “cast” option was actually there. By cast, I do mean cast & not airplay.

So it seems on the IOS app you can only AirPlay, but on the website you get both options.
What I’m hoping is that the cast option will be added on an update. I don’t need the cast option myself but aware many do, so maybe it was a case of getting the app out there with more limited functionality to see what bugs appear when live and then fix them with the update,and also add the missing features that were there previously.

Not for me, keeps kicking me out , mind you the iPhone 6 are quite ancient now :oops:
Working perfectly for me on an old iPhone 6 I had lying around.
my own phone is iPhone 11 but wanted to do some user testing on a different device, so installed on the 6 with iOS 12 and opened and played perfectly.

The stream was fine for me but I wasn’t able to use AirPlay from IPad to Apple TV. Not disastrous as I just used HDMI cable from laptop but still annoying.
Wh

Why weren’t you able to use it? What was happening?
I had the same issue. I was using airplay to send to my apple tv the day before and it was great.

However, trying it for the game I just got the spinning circle on the screen.

I reckon airplay didn’t like the added layer of VPN when trying to send the feed.

I had it plugged in via hdmi cable from my laptop. The only issue I faced is that every 30 mins or so the screen went blank and the sound cut out. I had to refresh the screen on the laptop and came back. Weird.

Thanks to you folks for getting us through the RTV upgrade. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Clearly there are some ongoing issues but hopefully they can be resolved in time for next week's match.

I reported the issue about the missing Chromecast function on the IOS app to RTV but got a generic answer so I don't even know if I have reported it to the right people or not. Do any of you know if this is an issue for RTV or is it something that should be reported to Apple?

Thanks to you folks for getting us through the RTV upgrade. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Clearly there are some ongoing issues but hopefully they can be resolved in time for next week's match.

I reported the issue about the missing Chromecast function on the IOS app to RTV but got a generic answer so I don't even know if I have reported it to the right people or not. Do any of you know if this is an issue for RTV or is it something that should be reported to Apple?
No worries mate, @Valley Bluenose is the main man though for all his sterling efforts before I started chipping in.
@Captain_Buns needs a mention in Dispatches too though, I feel.

As for the casting issues, it’s not on Apple’s side why it’s not working, it’s something that needs to be added into the app as functionality, so if it’s missing it’s the app developer that needs to implement it.

No worries mate, @Valley Bluenose is the main man though for all his sterling efforts before I started chipping in.

As for the casting issues, it’s not on Apple’s side why it’s not working, it’s something that needs to be added into the app as functionality, so if it’s missing it’s the app developer that needs to implement it.
I hope the app developer isn't a bheast or he'll not come out of hiding for a few months yet B-D B-D

I discovered this morning that the app on my iPhone will “airplay” to my Samsung telly. So no need for me to chromecast etc anymore. The previous app didn’t do that to this tv was “unsupported” apparently. You might want to try and see if the new app lets you mirror or airplay on a tv mate.

I discovered this morning that the app on my iPhone will “airplay” to my Samsung telly. So no need for me to chromecast etc anymore. The previous app didn’t do that to this tv was “unsupported” apparently. You might want to try and see if the new app lets you mirror or airplay on a tv mate.
Yep I've looked into that but the tv's I have don't support airplay so I'm keen for the Chromecast option to return. I realise Airplay works okay with Samsung tv's so some will be okay.

I dont like the app on my phone. Watching videos in landscape mode is horrible and you dont get the full screen.

Preferred the old version.

I dont like the app on my phone. Watching videos in landscape mode is horrible and you dont get the full screen.

Preferred the old version.
From memory, I don't think you got the full screen on the old App either. There were always the black bars top and bottom like a widescreen movie.

From memory, I don't think you got the full screen on the old App either. There were always the black bars top and bottom like a widescreen movie.
The issue for me is that it goes full screen but it zooms too much. So much that i can actually move the picture up or down and never actually fits the screen, meaning the top and bottom of the video cant be seen.

The old app was perfect on mine for playing videos.

The issue for me is that it goes full screen but it zooms too much. So much that i can actually move the picture up or down and never actually fits the screen, meaning the top and bottom of the video cant be seen.

The old app was perfect on mine for playing videos.
Unless this is only relating to the live streaming then you've lost me mate.

I've just played back Stevie Gs post-match interview on the new App. I click the Full Screen icon (bottom right) when in Portrait mode and it enlarges and rotates to Landscape mode with the black bars top and bottom. I can't then move that picture at all, up or down or even use two fingers to zoom in. So I'm not sure what you mean about zooming in and losing the top and bottom of the video. Have I misunderstood you here?

EDIT: Oops, I was on iPad rather than iPhone though. Tried on iPhone and I lose a tiny sliver of screen estate in Landscape mode, barely enough to notice quite honestly. That's on a iPhone XR.

Last edited:

I've just played back Stevie Gs post-match interview on the new App. I click the Full Screen icon (bottom right) when in Portrait mode and it enlarges and rotates to Landscape mode with the black bars top and bottom. I can't then move that picture at all, up or down or even use two fingers to zoom in. So I'm not sure what you mean about zooming in and losing the top and bottom of the video. Have I misunderstood you here?

EDIT: I was on iPad rather than iPhone though.
To be fair to @AllyRFC mate, I’ve just tried the Gaffers reaction video and it’s not locking into my screen size either. I can push it up and down to see more of the video so maybe depending on device screen size?
Having said that, screen size shouldn’t matter, the app should auto fit when going full screen.

To be fair to @AllyRFC mate, I’ve just tried the Gaffers reaction video and it’s not locking into my screen size either. I can push it up and down to see more of the video so maybe depending on device screen size?
Having said that, screen size shouldn’t matter, the app should auto fit when going full screen.
Might be screen size related. I lose less than 1mm I'd say. If it hadn't been posted I wouldn't even have noticed. Certainly not 'horrible'.

EDIT: I was on iPad rather than iPhone though. Tried on iPhone and I lose a tiny sliver of screen estate in Landscape mode, barely enough to notice quite honestly. That's on a iPhone XR.
Sorry mate, i havent explained it very well but looks like you are understanding me lol. Im on iPhone 11 so i could be something on my end.

I lose a fair bit of the video, if i have it so i can see the score along the top for example, i lose a fair bit of the bottom and vice versa. If i try to centre it i cant see the scores or bottom of the screen, especially along the top as theres a shaded bit at the top that covers far too much of the video.

Exact same for me bud. Do you have the shaded part along the top too? Its making it much worse.

Sorry mate, i havent explained it very well but looks like you are understanding me lol. Im on iPhone 11 so i could be something on my end.

I lose a fair bit of the video, if i have it so i can see the score along the top for example, i lose a fair bit of the bottom and vice versa. If i try to centre it i cant see the scores or bottom of the screen, especially along the top as theres a shaded bit at the top that covers far too much of the video.
Yeah, at first I was on iPad. Doh! On iPhone I do lose a bit - but only 1mm at most. And I'm on an older phone than you LOL. I do take your point now though.

@Captain_Buns has a fantastic DVD collection which he streams live as he stands about in the scud. Never realised how techie he has become.

Exact same for me bud. Do you have the shaded part along the top too? Its making it much worse.
No shaded part mate, just the ability to move the video up the way to reveal more of the bottom of it.
I hadn’t really gave it a thought before now because I thought it was just a feature being able to slide up to reveal the icon to go small screen portrait again.
I rarely use the phone to watch, so hadn’t really paid too much attention until you mentioned it.

This is what it looks like initially going full screen -

this is having the screen with the top in view-

This is with bottom in view -

The faint blue bit long the top i was getting last night isnt there now for some reason. And those pics dont show how bad it actually looks. Instead of going full screen like youtube for example it basically just locks the screen in portrait mode, whilst still be able to scroll down.

Its nothing major i guess, just annoying.

Dunno what i had done yesterday for the blue faint bar to be there as its just not doing it now lol. It makes it much easier to watch but still annoying lol

@AllyRFC I had another play on iPhone. This time with the highlights. Its definitely more noticeable on match footage than in the interviews and I see what you mean now. However, what I would say is I have no 'shading' and the screen I lose is about 1mm. I'd tend to pull the screen down so I have the score in top left and that does lose you a bit at the bottom. No question. Not the most pressing of problems with the App though.

@AllyRFC I had another play on iPhone. This time with the highlights. Its definitely more noticeable on match footage than in the interviews and I see what you mean now. However, what I would say is I have no 'shading' and the screen I lose is about 1mm. I'd tend to pull the screen down so I have the score in top left and that does lose you a bit at the bottom. No question. Not the most pressing of problems with the App though.
Aye, its much better now that faint line has gone. I cant replicate it at all now lol, was definitely there yesterday though as i showed the Mrs as was having a moan about it lol. It was taking up a fair bit of screen. It was like the top of the app screen faded with the video sliding under it as you moved the video around, if that makes sense. Looking like it was something i had done but %^*& knows what i did.

Its definitely not a serious issue, just annoying as i almost exclusively watch RTV on my mobile for easiness.

Anyone sussed out how to fix the side load issue, or we need to wait for an update?
Someone emailed then about making the App suitable for Android Tv devices and they got a response saying that such devices were not listed in their 'compatible devices' FAQ. Which is correct, the FAQ only lists PCs and mobile devices. Its always been that way though - but the old App could be sideloaded. This new one can't. I wouldn't hold your breath unless one of the many geeks out there gets hold of the APK file and is able to tweak it and upload it for distribution. You'd then have, effectively, a 'jailbroken' App though.

Aye, its much better now that faint line has gone. I cant replicate it at all now lol, was definitely there yesterday though as i showed the Mrs as was having a moan about it lol. It was taking up a fair bit of screen. It was like the top of the app screen faded with the video sliding under it as you moved the video around, if that makes sense. Looking like it was something i had done but %^*& knows what i did.

Its definitely not a serious issue, just annoying as i almost exclusively watch RTV on my mobile for easiness.
No worries mate. No way I could watch a match on my phone unless there was absolutely no alternative. Have you investigated a means of getting it onto a TV screen from your phone, be it casting or wired? Might be better for you.

No worries mate. No way I could watch a match on my phone unless there was absolutely no alternative. Have you investigated a means of getting it onto a TV screen from your phone, be it casting or wired? Might be better for you.
Aye, i cast it to my living room TV but i dont get peace to watch it so end up up stairs on my phone lol.

The full match has the blue bar!! -

Knew id seen it somewhere! Theres an x in the too right that closes the video if I press it. Its clearly just a bug of some kind as it doesnt do it every time.

Aye, i cast it to my living room TV but i dont get peace to watch it so end up up stairs on my phone lol.

The full match has the blue bar!! -

Knew id seen it somewhere! Theres an x in the too right that closes the video if I press it. Its clearly just a bug of some kind as it doesnt do it every time.
Right. I had yet another go. If I play the full match video from last night I don't see what you are seeing (blue bar and the X) whilst in full screen Landscape mode. I do see it when in Portrait mode though. The particular screencap you've posted shows footage from Helicopter Sunday (what a day:))) which would not have been shot in widescreen I don't think, so it could be that causing what you see. Certainly and unequivocally when I play the full match footage (I skipped to the in-play bits) in full screen Landscape there's no blue bar or X on my iPhoneXR. I have to touch the screen and click on the minimize icon to get out of Full Screen, there's no X. I do lose a bit of screen estate though, to agree with your initial point.

Last edited:
My app works, but webpage says I’m subscribed in my profile, but doesn’t let me watch any videos saying I need to subscribe. Hopefully all fixed for next week when I need it properly

My app works, but webpage says I’m subscribed in my profile, but doesn’t let me watch any videos saying I need to subscribe. Hopefully all fixed for next week when I need it properly
Assuming you have a subscription that allows you access to content then try clearing cache/cookies, close browser, reboot, open browser and try again. No guarantees but its worked for some.

Right. I had yet another go. If I play the full match video from last night I don't see what you are seeing (blue bar and the X) whilst in full screen Landscape mode. I do see it when in Portrait mode though. The particular screencap you've posted shows footage from Helicopter Sunday (what a day:)) which would not have been shot in widescreen I don't think so it could be that causing what you see. Certainly and unequivocally when I play the full match footage (I skipped to the in-play bits) in full screen Landscape there's no blue bar or X on my iPhoneXR. I have to touch the screen and click on the minimize icon to get out of Full Screen, there's no X. I do lose a bit of screen estate though, to agree with your initial point.
Haha, its the Hibs full game, its just the intro screen i think? Lol. Might have something to do with flip from one mode to another. Iv no idea but i can deal with it any way.

Thanks guys, your advice certainly helped me. Rangers getting a few extra quid in as a result of your advice should make you all happy. I enjoyed watching knowing that Rangers got my cash and walker and crocker never.

Assuming you have a subscription that allows you access to content then try clearing cache/cookies, close browser, reboot, open browser and try again. No guarantees but its worked for some.
Yeah my profile says I’m subscribed but when I go videos says I’m not. Not sure how to clear all that on firestick but will give it a try thanks

What kind of subscription do you have to RTV? Virtual Season ticket?

VST and Monthly RTV.
Just dawned on me, you say your App works but then talk about the webpage. I assumed by that you meant via Silk browser but now I'm wondering if you meant accessing the site via the RangersTV App.

If you've sideloaded the App to your Fire TV Stick then it won't work. Multiple reports of that in this thread. The new App will not work on Android boxes, NVidia Shield or Fire TV Stick devices.

Just dawned on me, you say your App works but then talk about the webpage. I assumed by that you meant via Silk browser but now I'm wondering if you meant accessing the site via the RangersTV App.

If you've sideloaded the App to your Fire TV Stick then it won't work. Multiple reports of that in this thread. The new App will not work on Android boxes, NVidia Shield or Fire TV Stick devices.
Using silk/internet on firestick, had used app on my phone

Back