Maradona documentary

A very well made documentary.

I think it somewhat simplified his departure from Naples and adds too much weight to the 1990 semi final. He was deep in addiction by that point and up to his neck with the mafia.

Some great footage too- what a player.

Outrageous beauty in his play.

Barrilete Cósmico, from what planet did you come?

Will be going to see it this week, though I am slightly disturbed at the constant back-slapping and adulation given to any of his actions or behaviour which clearly paints him as a struggling and dying drug addict.

He's a disgusting little cheat and I'm very surprised at the adulation some on here seem to have for him given his comments on the Falklands. Absolutely despise the filthy wee rat.

Behave yourself!

So, the reasons why you previously loved Maradona (I’m guessing): the outrageous once in a generation talent; the unbelievable skills no one had seen before; the ability to take on entire teams by himself, etc, etc, etc, have since been supplanted by a guy whose one stand out accolade, when we really get down to it, is scoring loads of goals?

Behave yourself indeed!

He's a disgusting little cheat and I'm very surprised at the adulation some on here seem to have for him given his comments on the Falklands. Absolutely despise the filthy wee rat.
Because of his very poor up bringing hes been brought up to hate anything thats centre to centre right, and have a resent against any kind of authority.

Maradonna supports Castro, Che Gevarra, Chaves and Madurro while those people oppressed people in those countries, Madurro still is today. All that while living a millionaires life style.

But IMO he was the best player ever to brace a football field.

So, the reasons why you previously loved Maradona (I’m guessing): the outrageous once in a generation talent; the unbelievable skills no one had seen before; the ability to take on entire teams by himself, etc, etc, etc, have since been supplanted by a guy whose one stand out accolade, when we really get down to it, is scoring loads of goals?

Behave yourself indeed!

I still love Diego, what if I’d said he’d been replaced by Messi? Would you have been equally disparaging towards him?

Can’t wait to see this, only if we had 24 hour football coverage back when he was in his prime.
The greatest ever for me

Its a debate that will no doubt last forever and never have a correct answer but at 55 years (mines) of age as much as I think Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Cruyff, etc. are outstanding imho they all follow in the wake of the unsurpassed genius of Maradona.

I always had him as the greatest of all time, but I now have Ronaldo in that position, him second.
The Brazilian one?
Behave yourself!

Behave yourself indeed!
I still love Diego, what if I’d said he’d been replaced by Messi? Would you have been equally disparaging towards him?
Messi is on a completely different level to Cristiano Ronaldo.

tenor.gif

Saw it today. It is an unbelievable piece of film making and the footage they get their hands on is incredible.

That first five minute montage and music is brilliant

Saw it today. It is an unbelievable piece of film making and the footage they get their hands on is incredible.

That first five minute montage and music is brilliant

One thing I wasn't aware of was how hated he became after scoring that penalty against Italy in the 90 World Cup.

The book “ once upon a time in Naples “ based on his time there is incredible .

Looking forward to this film .

One thing I wasn't aware of was how hated he became after scoring that penalty against Italy in the 90 World Cup.

Don't get me wrong because he absolutely riles the Italians up with the whole "you treat Naples like Africa" stuff but did the Italians really expect that Maradona was going to just roll over and let them win and be comfortable with that ? Because that's what it seemed like

Don't get me wrong because he absolutely riles the Italians up with the whole "you treat Naples like Africa" stuff but did the Italians really expect that Maradona was going to just roll over and let them win and be comfortable with that ? Because that's what it seemed like

Lost me that part as well to be honest, think they did yes.

Special mention to the Italians because watching the film you can tell their insults and banners have that touch more sophistication than your bog standard Scottish ones

"Hello Cholera sufferers" and "Vesuvio wash them with Lava" would have the SNP doing fits in this country

Because he was an absolutely incredible footballer. Also with his upbringing being worlds apart from any of us you would expect him to have a different opinion on things.

The film is pretty compelling, as were his films on Senna and Amy Winehouse. You really get into it while watching.

Gonna go and see this tomorrow, reading the book it's based on just now too.
It's not based on a book. Its the directors own view on things based on hundreds of hours of footage taken over many years.

He had guys filming his every move as they planned to make a movie back in the day. Right back to his days in Argentina.

I thought it was excellent. The sound in the cinema made it really pop at times. Naples looks a mental place esp at that time.

It's not based on a book. Its the directors own view on things based on hundreds of hours of footage taken over many years.

He had guys filming his every move as they planned to make a movie back in the day. Right back to his days in Argentina.

I thought it was excellent. The sound in the cinema made it really pop at times. Naples looks a mental place esp at that time.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/10484366/john-ludden

Listen to that from 08:00

Don't think it is based on it more that the idea of using Maradona for a documentary came from that book and it ended up being all about his time in Naples.

Last edited:
Got to be honest while Diego was poetry with a ball at his feet Italy was the most corrupt place on earth at the time. The golden boy Rossi was done for match fixing and Juventus got hammered. Given the type of people Diego was involved with Iv a feeling refs were not being bought but actually having threats made that they would be done in if results did not go Napolis way.

It was a scary place. Still is.

Back