Marcus Maddison - I'm A Rangers Man

Sounds like the journalists read this forum and saw we think that we need a creative midfielder.

Then saw Maddisson's Twitter thing about preferring us then put 2 and 2 together.

Going to go against the grain here and say no thanks on this basis.

He is playing in League 1, yes I know there is talent in that league but there is talent in any league and 95% of what is there is utter garbage and Scottish Championship level. This isn't Mark Warburtons squad, we have players of much higher standard now. Our midfield consists of Liverpool prospects, an ex EPL player a Ligue 1 player and an SPFL captain.

He is playing in a team where Jason Cummings is their 2nd top scorer and Jamie Walker has started (ahead of him I assume due to expected position?) more games and scored more goals than him this season.

From that video he does look to have a lovely left peg but also can seem like a 1 trick pony, most of his shots are wide curlers to the far post. Does he really offer that magic in the middle we crave or is his shots his main attribute?

What does he offer on defensive side of things? You cannot see anything defensive wise in that video, if he only offers his shooting going forward and nothing in defence, we will all turn on him very, very quickly.

As the positives, he seems to have had a good season last year, being nominated for player of the year but I assume not winning it, along with scoring 12 and getting 22 assists. The fact he has a term in his contract allowing him to leave due to Peterborough not being promoted does indicate they may rate him as above the level of that league.

So on the whole it's a no from me. I think times for us have changed for the better and if we are signing players from League 1 in England, they must be the absolute stars of the league. I'm basing most of my judgement from that video along with information and stats available to me so I am by no means an expert on him and I'm more than willing to have my opinion changed.

I agree with the above post from BlueStu.

He seems to have a half decent left peg but thats it. He looks to lack genuine pace and athleticism and there is nothing in the video to suggest he could play in a high intensity pressing game which is mandatory for a Gerrard team.

We are now Steven Gerrards Rangers we are looking for the best players we can possibly get within our budget, whether that is from The UK or abroad it doesn't matter.

One things for sure our scouting team wont fall for a half decent youtube clip.

What I did like is that he does seem to like a shot from outside the box and I do hope someone like that will be on our radar.

Watched him play for posh many many times living just outside Peterborough, Ball greedy bastard! All about me! Not what we want or need. So it’s a no from me.

Looks quite similar to Ryan Kent in those clips. I’m happy to trust the manager’s decision making as he’s called most correct so far with our signings. Looks like he can play right enough.

Never seen him play or even heard of him but 23 assists and 12 goals in a season is some going.

Sounds like a left-footed Tav. We got him from lower-league Wigan and he seems to be working out fine.

Just watched the Youtube video above - not scared to have a pop from anywhere. Just what we need rather than our tendency to want to walk the ball into the net. Over to the recruitment team - I will trust their judgement

He is playing in League 1, yes I know there is talent in that league but there is talent in any league and 95% of what is there is utter garbage and Scottish Championship level. This isn't Mark Warburtons squad, we have players of much higher standard now. Our midfield consists of Liverpool prospects, an ex EPL player a Ligue 1 player and an SPFL captain.

He is playing in a team where Jason Cummings is their 2nd top scorer and Jamie Walker has started (ahead of him I assume due to expected position?) more games and scored more goals than him this season.

From that video he does look to have a lovely left peg but also can seem like a 1 trick pony, most of his shots are wide curlers to the far post. Does he really offer that magic in the middle we crave or is his shots his main attribute?

What does he offer on defensive side of things? You cannot see anything defensive wise in that video, if he only offers his shooting going forward and nothing in defence, we will all turn on him very, very quickly.

As the positives, he seems to have had a good season last year, being nominated for player of the year but I assume not winning it, along with scoring 12 and getting 22 assists. The fact he has a term in his contract allowing him to leave due to Peterborough not being promoted does indicate they may rate him as above the level of that league.

So on the whole it's a no from me. I think times for us have changed for the better and if we are signing players from League 1 in England, they must be the absolute stars of the league. I'm basing most of my judgement from that video along with information and stats available to me so I am by no means an expert on him and I'm more than willing to have my opinion changed.

Totally agree. At 25 he's not an up and coming wonder kid who's learning in League One and destined for better things. Did we not recently ship out a number of players to League one?

BluStu in post #65 says:
" What does he offer on defensive side of things? You cannot see anything defensive wise in that video, if he only offers his shooting going forward and nothing in defence, we will all turn on him very, very quickly."

Now I'm not saying go out and sign this guy because of a Youtube video and a twitter comment, and I appreciate BluStu's other reservations, but the comment I quote above would basically rule out Jim Baxter!

If we are looking for a creative goal-scoring midfielder then the defensive bit may have to be sacrificed and left to others in the team. Like I said in previous post - over to the recruitment team. Worth a look IMO

I like him already and know nothing about him.

Aside from having wonderful taste.

Come home and create goals son and you will enjoy the best years of your career at the most successful football club in the world.

Come in January and help us win Fifty Five.
bhbqep.jpg

BluStu in post #65 says:
" What does he offer on defensive side of things? You cannot see anything defensive wise in that video, if he only offers his shooting going forward and nothing in defence, we will all turn on him very, very quickly."

Now I'm not saying go out and sign this guy because of a Youtube video and a twitter comment, and I appreciate BluStu's other reservations, but the comment I quote above would basically rule out Jim Baxter!

If we are looking for a creative goal-scoring midfielder then the defensive bit may have to be sacrificed and left to others in the team. Like I said in previous post - over to the recruitment team. Worth a look IMO

Definitely worth a look, that's what a scouting system is for, I didn't say we shouldn't I also said I'm willing to allow my opinion to change based on more evidence but to use my logic to rule out a player that played for us in the 60's is complete madness mate c'mon. A more recent comparison is Josh Windass, and look how he did.

He looks like a talented player & we really need a player who will shoot from outside the box.

However as a few posters have said if he doesn’t have great pace or strength then we could be weaker defensively as a unit.

Given that he’s 25 & would cost over 2.5m too then I’d like to look at Ivanusec in comparison.
19yo & already a Croatia cap. The transfer fee should be below 2m. He’s more rounded from what I’ve seen. Shoots from outside the box, plays nice little 1-2s with strikers, works back & supports the midfield / defence too. And he will probably have a higher sell on value.

No we shouldn't.
There is undoubtedly talent to be found at this level, our own club captain being an obvious example, this snobbery about signing players from lesser teams really ought to stop.

Finding talent is one thing. That talent being able to handle the pressure of stepping up is another thing. That is where the problem lies with recruiting from lower leagues. It’s not an ability gamble, it’s a psychological one.

No we shouldn't.
There is undoubtedly talent to be found at this level, our own club captain being an obvious example, this snobbery about signing players from lesser teams really ought to stop.
Why have an up and coming league one stand out for 8k a week when you can sign a Man City never was superstar on 30k?

Looks a decent player , but can we get a better , younger and cheaper alternative elsewhere? I expect we will be looking high and low for someone who will fit the system SG wants and it may well be a Bosman for next season.

Definitely worth a look, that's what a scouting system is for, I didn't say we shouldn't I also said I'm willing to allow my opinion to change based on more evidence but to use my logic to rule out a player that played for us in the 60's is complete madness mate c'mon. A more recent comparison is Josh Windass, and look how he did.

Sorry mate, I was being a bit tongue in cheek with the Jim Baxter comment. However, a defensive mid is not really what we need right now. as you say, this is what the scouts are for.

Finding talent is one thing. That talent being able to handle the pressure of stepping up is another thing. That is where the problem lies with recruiting from lower leagues. It’s not an ability gamble, it’s a psychological one.

Good point. Psychology of the current squad might explain poorer performances at Motherwell, Livingston and Hamilton. Our players appear to get a real spur from big crowds and big matches but the three I indicate are all at crappy wee grounds with relatively small crowds and teams we should really be a class above.

I would love to see us play with the same tempo and intensity against all teams. I think this squad will walk the league if Stevie G can get this across. Windass and Forrester were both more talented than Andy Halliday, but Andy is still here and they are gone for a reason.

Sorry mate, I was being a bit tongue in cheek with the Jim Baxter comment. However, a defensive mid is not really what we need right now. as you say, this is what the scouts are for.

I'm not talking about a defensive mid either mate, the modern game at the level we compete anyway requires no passengers. JW as an example.

I'm not saying this kid doesn't work hard on the defensive side, but SG will not even begin to consider him if its not part of his game.

Where is his video of defensive side of things?
Yeah that’s what should be on this video when we are looking at signing a attacking mid player.

He looks like a talented player & we really need a player who will shoot from outside the box.

However as a few posters have said if he doesn’t have great pace or strength then we could be weaker defensively as a unit.

Given that he’s 25 & would cost over 2.5m too then I’d like to look at Ivanusec in comparison.
19yo & already a Croatia cap. The transfer fee should be below 2m. He’s more rounded from what I’ve seen. Shoots from outside the box, plays nice little 1-2s with strikers, works back & supports the midfield / defence too. And he will probably have a higher sell on value.
Are we getting linked with the Croatian or is it a name popping up on here?

Latest posts

Back