Mario Kempes

drgriffen

Top goalscorer in the 78 World Cup El Matador was a quick, powerful and technical striker. In Argentina he is ranked in the tier below the top three (Di Stefano, Maradona and Messi). To a wee boy watching his first World Cup he was magical with his long hair and long legs. And to older bears he will be remembered for his performance for Valencia. A fantastic footballer.

Up in the top 5 players I've seen play against us at Ibrox.
WATP
Riquelme,Mendieta,Papin & any number of the great Crvena Zvezda team are the others.
WATP

A truly great player,
Kempes had everything, power, speed, and certainly an eye for goal,

Argentina '78 team that won the World Cup is one of the early memories, first full World Cup I remember (esp. Peru!!). Kempes was brilliant and I think Luque (with a cracking 'tache) was his partner up front, they also had Ardiles, Houseman, Bertoni and the brilliant Passarella in defence.

Stay safe and healthy to you all.

When Juventus ripped Us a new one, 0-4, at Ibrox...my Dad turned to me in the ClubDeck and said "...this is some performance, but I remember Mario Kempes doing the same on his own, when you were too young to come along"

Much as I loved big Mario the Peru game was bent as phuck.

The most gallus as phuck player ever.
They indulged in a bit of gamesmanship pre the final kick off but they were some team,They just seemed super fit and up for it with the amazing support behind them.

They indulged in a bit of gamesmanship pre the final kick off but they were some team,They just seemed super fit and up for it with the amazing support behind them.

I'd never seen anything like that support. They did not even try to clear the pitch there was just too much paper. And Menotti chain smoking on the bench:)

John Greig sent Kenny Watson out to man mark Kempes that night! that went well :rolleyes: Bonhof scored from about 40 yards courtesy of a big "gas meter" fumble, Big DJ equalised, then Kempes took over! and that, as they say was that!

Back