Mark Allen doesn’t fool me - what has he contributed at Rangers, asks Kris Boyd

There's an old saying.
The truth hurts.

What hurts is seeing a former player trying to validate his resentment at being told he was a lazy fat wage thief prior to being shown the door. Allied to this he throws in a bit about his pal that has no merit.

Entire article reads like something I’d read on here 5 mins after full time.

Is he suggesting MA signs players regardless and SG has no input?

I’m not sure a single Rangers fan would think extending the Morelos contract was anything other than a shrewd move

Im a fan of wallace but hes not fit enough these days
He seems to have played a decent amount for the reserves this season. Barisic is slow going forward and back, terrified of aerial challenges and positionalky poor. I’d love Wallace to get a few games. Short of that it would be Halliday. Barisic has had ample chances this season to show we haven’t wasted yet more money on someone who’s not up to it and he’s failed miserably.

And there was me thinking Pedro got it tight because he signed a load of shite got pumped from joiners and plumbers, got utterly fucked off the tramps and had lost the club completley - and Murty because he lost 9 goals in a month to the tramps as he regressed into a cowardly weirdo state.

I mean obviously if there names had been Richard Gough or Ryan Giggs say no one would have given a %^*& and just accepted that for what it was.

Said fucken no one - ever.

You’re saying everyone on here is criticising Mark Allen?

That’s just not true, why make that up?
No, at no point did I say these were the views of everyone on the board.

there was a thread on Mark Allen though and plenty questioned him on it.

A typical Kris Boyd article.

Some decent points, some completely inaccurate ones, a pointless defence of one of his mates and all wrapped in his best Chris Sutton impression.

It's a shame. If he changed the shock jock routine he might get more people paying attention.
He’s not very bright. That’s why the Record love to use him as their glove puppet.

FF has never, ever at any stage been a collective mind where people all share the exact same thought and view.

Did some people say the same as Boyd on here in the last week, yes, it was pish flaps on here as well..... things being said by people on here don't validate a view as it could easily be "said on here" by an absolute fucken rocket or a collective of rockets, rockeyes.

He seems to have played a decent amount for the reserves this season. Barisic is slow going forward and back, terrified of aerial challenges and positionalky poor. I’d love Wallace to get a few games. Short of that it would be Halliday. Barisic has had ample chances this season to show we haven’t wasted yet more money on someone who’s not up to it and he’s failed miserably.
Reserve football is a huge difference from the madness that is the spfl. Id like to see wallace get a game before he leaves

I don't understand what's wrong with celebrating in that manner after an important win. Seems like a weird stick to beat him with. At least it shows he's passionate.
I think the point is that he disappears away from the spotlight when things aren't going well.

He's right though. SG is not getting the results due to the personell that he's being given. I know that Mark Allen is not well received in some quarters at Ibrox. He has to remember that he's not at City anymore, despite him reminding everyone and anyone who cares to listen.

Which quarters - manager, coaches, players, the board, backroom staff...?

'It just struck me as a massive waste of money, handing him a bigger deal. Morelos should be giving Rangers more, not the other way around'

Aye getting rid of his minimum fee was stupid......
If Boyd wants to talk about rangers wasting money maybe we should start with his last stint at Ibrox. A fat useless lazy bastard.

Or why not think positive and talk about his first stint where he gave us a barrow load of goals that helped win us leagues and cups.
The abuse former Rangers players get on here is out of order.

Which quarters - manager, coaches, players, the board, backroom staff...?

Board and management team. A board member shouldn't be behaving in a manner not befitting the role. He should be nowhere near the first team when they are training or indeed ready for a match and certainly not be offering any input just as they go out on the park.

Boyd has seen the likes of Sutton build a career in the media by making ludicrous statements whose sole purpose is to generate controversy, anger and outrage. A slice of truth, a portion of guesswork and a dollop of fantasy.

He’s just looking after Number 1 and wants his own wee slice of the pie.

And as long as “sports reporting” is about commentators positioning themselves as being controversial and providing some sort of ratings boost above actually reporting on sports then this situation will continue.

Boyd, Sutton, Stewart & co wouldn’t be anywhere near a TV screen if their task was simply to describe the action on a football field.

Or why not think positive and talk about his first stint where he gave us a barrow load of goals that helped win us leagues and cups.
The abuse former Rangers players get on here is out of order.
In the same positive manner Boyd chooses to speak about his former Club?

And as long as “sports reporting” is about commentators positioning themselves as being controversial and providing some sort of ratings boost above actually reporting on sports then this situation will continue.

Boyd, Sutton, Stewart & co wouldn’t be anywhere near a TV screen if their task was simply to describe the action on a football field.

It's not just sports reporting, it's the media in general. The social media rash on modern commentary has driven all forms of media reporting towards the kind of sensationalised, shouty, unnecessarily controversial tone it now takes.

Facts aren't enough nowadays. They don't get you clicks/views/faves.

Rubbing folk up the wrong way is a far more "successful" means of attracting an audience via reaction in the current climate.

THERE’S nothing exciting about being a Rangers fan right now.

If Jermain Defoe genuinely believes otherwise, then he’s playing for the wrong club

It’s excruciating. It’s exasperating.

But it’s definitely not exciting.

I’m sorry, but after being knocked out of two cup competitions by Aberdeen in Glasgow it’s just totally unacceptable.

Whenever people compare Rangers to Celtic they mention the gulf in finances.

But that’s the same with Aberdeen and Rangers and yet you wouldn’t know it looking at results and performances between the pair this season.

Defoe probably thought he was saying what fans wanted to hear.

Trust me, it wasn’t.

This isn’t Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth or even Tottenham he’s playing for now. It’s Rangers, where these sorts of results are just not on.

Don’t get me wrong, Derek McInnes’ side were well worth their win at Ibrox and are in the Scottish Cup semi-final on merit.

They earned the right to have a crack at Celtic next. But for me it only showed up the glaring failings at my old club right now — with far too many people taking more than they’re giving.

Steven Gerrard will be the first to admit that he’s made mistakes, but he isn’t the man to blame.

I’d be more inclined to look at the job being done by the club’s Head of Recruitment.

Mark Allen is quick enough to jump around changing rooms when the team wins, but what has he actually contributed?

He paints himself as the mastermind in everything that’s good when Rangers are winning, but he doesn’t fool me.

For a start, why are there four left-wingers at the club in Glenn Middleton, Ryan Kent, Jamie Murphy and Eros Grezda?

Jordan Jones is another one on the way with Jake Hastie expected to follow

That just doesn’t make any sense to me.

It’s the same with seven central midfielders — Steven Davis, Ryan Jack, Scott Arfield, Ross McCrorie, Graham Dorrans, Andy Halliday and Glen Kamara. Yet there’s only Daniel Candeias who can play wide right.

That’s a total imbalance and stops Gerrard from being able to make changes when things aren’t going well. Look at the Pittodrie Cup clash when he didn’t make a single
substitution. That tells you everything about how the squad is all wrong.

I also look at the left-back, Borna Barisic, and see a player who doesn’t want to be at Rangers.

Every time I see him he just goes through the motions and I don’t get it. Whenever the going gets tough he seems to be injured

The best left-back in the building is Lee Wallace and yet he can’t even get into any of the squads with midfielder Halliday the second choice.

That whole episode just stinks.

Then there’s the decision to hand Alfredo Morelos a new contract when he was already tied down for another couple of seasons.

It just struck me as a massive waste of money, handing him a bigger deal. Morelos should be giving Rangers more, not the other way around.

But it’s like Gers still have the mindset that the only way to solve their problems is by throwing money at any situations that crop up.

Some people say that’s the answer now with the team but that’s too easy and simple

Gerrard isn’t totally blameless in all this, by the way. I’m sure he’d say himself there are things he wishes he’d done differently.

I also think he’s getting cut some slack simply because of who he is.

The supporters aren’t giving him a hard time and that’s down to his reputation in the game as a player.

They weren’t so slow to have a go at Mark Warburton or Pedro Caixinha, were they? Graeme Murty got absolutely filleted by some.

Gerrard’s getting away with it right now because of his name, but that won’t last forever and he’ll know that.

He says all the right things when the team loses but there’s only so many times he can repeat himself.

That said, I just think the players need to stand up and be counted.

Some of them have worked for four managers now, so what does that say about them as individuals?

It must have been alarming for Gerrard on Tuesday night given just how easily his team was beaten.

We can all lose games of football but there’s a way to lose. He must be asking himself what he needs to do to motivate these players for 90 minutes.

Some people will blame him for that but for me it boils down to each player individually.

I wouldn’t criticise Gerrard for bringing in Defoe and Davis because, on paper, they should have been good additions.

It’s surprised most people that they’ve not been better. It’s just not worked out.

But they’ve at least had great careers until now, so I’d be more critical of the ones around them who don’t seem to have the hunger to be successful.

You just never see Rangers winning ugly these days.

During the nine in a row era — and during my time there under Walter Smith — it wasn’t always open, expansive football. The performances were often ordinary.

8-0 victory

But those teams still knew how to grind out wins and that’s a trait this current team just doesn’t seem to have.

Put it like this, had our team drawn with Aberdeen at Pittodrie there was no way in this world we would have lost a replay at Ibrox.

Aberdeen wouldn’t have got two cracks at beating us.

But Rangers right now are a team who are beatable — and that must be extremely worrying for Gerrard.

Listen, they’ll finish second in the league, that’s a given. They might not be able to catch Celtic but equally they’re not going to be caught by the Dons or ourselves at Kilmarnock.

In the remaining games, though, their players are playing for their futures

Boyd has a lot of opinions, pity he doesn't have the brain cells to match.

He does make some good point there tbf not a bad article but if he really sees himself as the next hard hiting ex player that calls it honestly and isnt worried about who upsets.... then write a piece about whats happening to Rangers because of the the way Celtic have treated the referees over the years. Cannae tell me ex players, managers, pundits dont see all the cheating its blatant in 90 percent of the games we play.

Odd timing and odd article.

Hope we fu(king pump them tomorrow.

Borna to slam in a free kick winner.

he gets paid for his opinion ,bottom line if you agree fine ,if you disagree also fine .we give these people oxygen the way our team performs these days .winning is a great cure all .

A fairly robust defence of Allen from Gerrard in the Press Conference today. Comes at the end of the video (which is available in the other thread). Obviously he's not going to throw him under a bus but he goes way beyond what you'd expect of him if their relationship isn't 'right'. One for the rumour-mongers to note.

Last edited:
I will be keep my opinion till next season. Think Mark Allan, and our manger need more time. Personally think next season is judgment time

MA isn't a board member. What behaviour is causing these apparent concerns?

He attributes himself to the board. Whilst he absolutely does not make business decisions he's aligned to them for some bizarre reason. His behaviour? Failure to recognise his role. Continual interference with the first team. Sitting in on team meetings. He's not enamouring himself at all.

He attributes himself to the board. Whilst he absolutely does not make business decisions he's aligned to them for some bizarre reason. His behaviour? Failure to recognise his role. Continual interference with the first team. Sitting in on team meetings. He's not enamouring himself at all.

He has a full UEFA coaching A Licence. Maybe he's looking for a way into management?;)

If he is overstepping his mark with the team then I don't think Gerrard would be slow to tell him to butt-out. Quite the opposite is happening though - Gerrard, as recently as today, has defended the man.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/mark-allen-appointed-dof/

THERE’S nothing exciting about being a Rangers fan right now.

If Jermain Defoe genuinely believes otherwise, then he’s playing for the wrong club

It’s excruciating. It’s exasperating.

But it’s definitely not exciting.

I’m sorry, but after being knocked out of two cup competitions by Aberdeen in Glasgow it’s just totally unacceptable.

Whenever people compare Rangers to Celtic they mention the gulf in finances.

But that’s the same with Aberdeen and Rangers and yet you wouldn’t know it looking at results and performances between the pair this season.

Defoe probably thought he was saying what fans wanted to hear.

Trust me, it wasn’t.

This isn’t Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth or even Tottenham he’s playing for now. It’s Rangers, where these sorts of results are just not on.

Don’t get me wrong, Derek McInnes’ side were well worth their win at Ibrox and are in the Scottish Cup semi-final on merit.

They earned the right to have a crack at Celtic next. But for me it only showed up the glaring failings at my old club right now — with far too many people taking more than they’re giving.

Steven Gerrard will be the first to admit that he’s made mistakes, but he isn’t the man to blame.

I’d be more inclined to look at the job being done by the club’s Head of Recruitment.

Mark Allen is quick enough to jump around changing rooms when the team wins, but what has he actually contributed?

He paints himself as the mastermind in everything that’s good when Rangers are winning, but he doesn’t fool me.

For a start, why are there four left-wingers at the club in Glenn Middleton, Ryan Kent, Jamie Murphy and Eros Grezda?

Jordan Jones is another one on the way with Jake Hastie expected to follow

That just doesn’t make any sense to me.

It’s the same with seven central midfielders — Steven Davis, Ryan Jack, Scott Arfield, Ross McCrorie, Graham Dorrans, Andy Halliday and Glen Kamara. Yet there’s only Daniel Candeias who can play wide right.

That’s a total imbalance and stops Gerrard from being able to make changes when things aren’t going well. Look at the Pittodrie Cup clash when he didn’t make a single
substitution. That tells you everything about how the squad is all wrong.

I also look at the left-back, Borna Barisic, and see a player who doesn’t want to be at Rangers.

Every time I see him he just goes through the motions and I don’t get it. Whenever the going gets tough he seems to be injured

The best left-back in the building is Lee Wallace and yet he can’t even get into any of the squads with midfielder Halliday the second choice.

That whole episode just stinks.

Then there’s the decision to hand Alfredo Morelos a new contract when he was already tied down for another couple of seasons.

It just struck me as a massive waste of money, handing him a bigger deal. Morelos should be giving Rangers more, not the other way around.

But it’s like Gers still have the mindset that the only way to solve their problems is by throwing money at any situations that crop up.

Some people say that’s the answer now with the team but that’s too easy and simple

Gerrard isn’t totally blameless in all this, by the way. I’m sure he’d say himself there are things he wishes he’d done differently.

I also think he’s getting cut some slack simply because of who he is.

The supporters aren’t giving him a hard time and that’s down to his reputation in the game as a player.

They weren’t so slow to have a go at Mark Warburton or Pedro Caixinha, were they? Graeme Murty got absolutely filleted by some.

Gerrard’s getting away with it right now because of his name, but that won’t last forever and he’ll know that.

He says all the right things when the team loses but there’s only so many times he can repeat himself.

That said, I just think the players need to stand up and be counted.

Some of them have worked for four managers now, so what does that say about them as individuals?

It must have been alarming for Gerrard on Tuesday night given just how easily his team was beaten.

We can all lose games of football but there’s a way to lose. He must be asking himself what he needs to do to motivate these players for 90 minutes.

Some people will blame him for that but for me it boils down to each player individually.

I wouldn’t criticise Gerrard for bringing in Defoe and Davis because, on paper, they should have been good additions.

It’s surprised most people that they’ve not been better. It’s just not worked out.

But they’ve at least had great careers until now, so I’d be more critical of the ones around them who don’t seem to have the hunger to be successful.

You just never see Rangers winning ugly these days.

During the nine in a row era — and during my time there under Walter Smith — it wasn’t always open, expansive football. The performances were often ordinary.

8-0 victory

But those teams still knew how to grind out wins and that’s a trait this current team just doesn’t seem to have.

Put it like this, had our team drawn with Aberdeen at Pittodrie there was no way in this world we would have lost a replay at Ibrox.

Aberdeen wouldn’t have got two cracks at beating us.

But Rangers right now are a team who are beatable — and that must be extremely worrying for Gerrard.

Listen, they’ll finish second in the league, that’s a given. They might not be able to catch Celtic but equally they’re not going to be caught by the Dons or ourselves at Kilmarnock.

In the remaining games, though, their players are playing for their futures

If the Lee Wallace situation stinks then perhaps it would help to be told the truth. It has lingered on too long.

What is his role?

You say we ground out results but shit still happened on his watch.

Newly promoted Falkirk put him out the cup at Ibrox. Infact, we had three shots against a Falkirk just promoted in 94/95 at Ibrox and never won one of them. This with Laudrup and Boli in the team.

A shit Hibs team knocked us out at Hampden. Aberdeen knocked us out at Hampden. Dundee United knocked us out of the cup at home. And away. A Hearts team who finished two points above the relegation play off put us out the cup by scoring 4 goals. First Division Dundee drew with us in the cup at Ibrox.

As for Boyd ? First 12 months of his time here he lost 0-3 at home to Hibs in the cup, 0-2 at home to a lower league team in the cup and then 2-3 in the cup to Dunfermline who got relegated that season.

Jeezo, Souness lost at home to Hamilton. And got knocked out by relegated Dunfermline a year later.

Boyd's "This wouldn't have happened in my day" is absolute bullshit. Yet no one will call him out for it. This is him peddling his agenda with lies and inaccuracies. If it was Sutton doing the same, this place would be in meltdown.

Gerrard's team HAS ground out results this season. 10 men won at Tynecastle. And at Pittodrie. 9 men qualified in Ufa. 10 men held Villarreal goal less and who by the way have just humped Zenit home and away. We have beaten Celtic after 2 seasons of being their punching bag.

Tuesday was a bad one. But it's nothing that hasn't happened before.

Yes, I’ve acknowledged we didn’t win every game in every competition. Every single example you gave is from a season we won the league though.

3 cracks we’ve had at the sheep in the cup and not won any of them, there’s no comparable situation from Walters time. Even examples that are almost close, like Dundee United knocking us out after a replay in 2010, is from a season we still won the double.

The sheep result on Tuesday night was barely even surprising. This team more often than not struggles to recover from a setback.

If his fat arse manages to get off the bench tomorrow I hope there will be no applause for him, I know i certainly wont be.

He is saying what we have all been saying on here.
Yet the people that post what he says has a go at him you couldn't make this shite up. And as far as I'm concerned he's right in saying a few of them will be playing for their career at rangers in these remaining games. I'm still dejected from Tuesday got a season ticket as is and still had to fork out 27.00 to watch that.

This sounds like general social media rumours with little substance. I’m not sure why sitting in on a team meeting would be an issue given he’s involved with transfers and developing the squad.

Anyway, I guess we’ll see in the coming months.

Look Boydie, you were great at Rangers in your first spell and went to the pits after that when you chased the money. I see you are still chasing something but I have no idea what. Giving Alfie a new contract is to make sure he and we get a good transfer fee. When a player is under contract, it is easier to trade him as both teams have a starting point. That is the first rule of transfers and if you can't understand that Kris then the rest of your arguments fail. So, we have a lot of outside lefts.They all have different skills and apart from Monster Munch, you only had one so, back off. How do you know Barisic doesn't want to be here? Has he told you that himself or is it another remark to please your editor?

Honestly Kris, it is easier for folk to think that you are a clown without writing stuff that proves it.

Boyd doesn't do irony, does he?

The comments about Defoe and Davis. From a guy who not many people disagreed with coming back to Rangers, only to find he was a fat %^*& who was unable to score goals to get us out of the fucking Championship.

He seems constantly angry at Rangers and the current regime. For a while I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was a Rangers fan and therefore hurting the same as a lot of us are. Increasingly I'm thinking it's just some sort of basic jealousy that he's not still involved with the club. He's sounding increasingly pathetic.

Won't be long till Kilmarnocks' Rangers correspondent Mr Boyd hangs up his boots , then he can fully concentrate all his energies on his beloved 'Gers . Kilmarnock will be happy as they will save a fortune not having to buy custom made strips for the big man . :eek:

Back