Mark Allen - Officially gone

How Gerrard spoke of Allen after the game yesterday suggests that he was happy working alongside him and rated him. So maybe it is just for family reasons or that he’s questioned his work life balance on the back of a performance review.

the steward was telling us it was Allen who’s tried to stop a lot of the interaction before and after games between players and fans .
That steward sounds like he's ............................................. imaginative, to be kind. How would he know, why would any DoF get involved with that and to what end?

Care to reconsider? Maybe you should have 'thought ahead'?

I could say we didn't actually replace a DOF :)

However I'm happy to say the reappointment of this type of position is not something I thought would happen. I'm happy to go on the record and say I've got this wrong I thought the departure of Allen would signal the end of this type of position with SG running the show.

There is still however a fundamental question about how are strategy works or how it is going to be tweaked going forward if indeed after Allen in terms of the new appointment. I would suggest the press release reads like SG has very probably assessed what worked under Allen and what didn't and Ross Wilson will combine that with his experience and work on the infrastructure. Will he have a say in signings?

The issue is how this works in terms of signings and indeed the overall strategy. You've seen the debate over who has been responsible for which player was signed under Allen.

The notion that it can be done by committee doesn't seem realistic to me but let's see what happens.

The key issue is always the level of detail the support get to know about the inner workings but of course that allows the people still raking in a large salary like Stewart Robertson and not be accountable strikes me as fundamentally wrong.

Similarly how the strategy fits the future unless I've missed something seems nailed to the success of SG and that really does beg the question what a Sporting Director will do?

I didn't see the need for a DOF and I'm not sure what a SD does either and unless these roles provide stability and vision beyond the lifespan of SG-if they don't then they will mutate, be renamed or indeed dropped as we go forward.

To be fair, Gerrard left a great life in LA. This was seemingly to fulfill his ambition to manage Liverpool, and is currently using us as a stepping stone for that. Perhaps Reyna would see us as a good stepping stone to a big Man City job. I doubt they'd take him from New York directly. However, if I was him I'd stay in New York and enjoy my life... but I don't know his ambitions. He has stated he loved being at Rangers though.
Gives me an opportunity to recite my Reynas father story again but it’s pertinent to your post.

It would have been Christmas 2004 and we were flying back to Glasgow via Chicago. Flight got cancelled and while we were lined up waiting for a rebooking, I got talking to an elderly gentleman in front of me with a Spanish accent. Turns out it was Claudio Reynas dad, himself an ex pro in Argentina. He was heading to Manchester to see Claudio play.

Got talking about his Rangers days and he said Claudio loved his time at Rangers but wanted to try himself at the EPL level. He himself was glowing in his praise of Rangers. I don’t doubt for a minute if Reyna emerged as a future candidate, he’d be all over it.

Last edited:
Mark Allen a charlatan? Look at where the club is now compared to when he took over. Anyone calling him a charlatan doesn't have a clue.

Management and coaching staff - 100 times better, scouting and recruitment - completely transformed, value of the squad - increased tenfold, women's team - now fully integrated with the club - it all falls underneath his remit.

Whether you like the guy or not, there's no denying the massive improvements in almost every area of the club since he was first appointed.

Mark Allen a charlatan? Look at where the club is now compared to when he took over. Anyone calling him a charlatan doesn't have a clue.

Management and coaching staff - 100 times better, scouting and recruitment - completely transformed, value of the squad - increased tenfold, women's team - now fully integrated with the club - it all falls underneath his remit.

Whether you like the guy or not, there's no denying the massive improvements in almost every area of the club since he was first appointed.

Hi Mark.

What was Mark Allen’s official title? I believe it was Director if Football, but I may be wrong. So I suppose I’m curious as to why the change of title for Ross Wilson who is now the Sporting Director, if I’m correct about the former?

I find it slightly odd, as this sort of thing is normally reserved for making a particular role redundant, and subsequently changing the title and duties just enough to regard it as a new role legally.

I do accept that this is pure speculation and I may be reading too much into things, but it certainly jumped out at me when reading todays announcement.

What was Mark Allen’s official title? I believe it was Director if Football, but I may be wrong. So I suppose I’m curious as to why the change of title for Ross Wilson who is now the Sporting Director, if I’m correct about the former?

I find it slightly odd, as this sort of thing is normally reserved for making a particular role redundant, and subsequently changing the title and duties just enough to regard it as a new role legally.

I do accept that this is pure speculation and I may be reading too much into things, but it certainly jumped out at me when reading todays announcement.

As I stated I think a big part of this is SG reflecting what worked well under Allen and what didn't and where it needed to change.

We would all hope the role would be the foundation of what we are doing football wise but without any genuine detail it's all down to speculation.

The short term success of the club really lies with the manager and it was always likely to be the case.

too many failures

guys signed injured , signed on the basis of one game against us

all the same shite witnessed under murray

I’d argue that considering the sheer volume of bodies brought in the “hit rate” is actualy very good :confused:

You are correct a company will usually change the title when the previous person has been made redundant

Back