Mark Allen reveals the uncredited Rangers man who helped Steven Gerrard turn 'empty drawers' into an Ibrox blueprint

The Scottish Cup semi final should've been his last day in employment with us.

Everything that happened that day stemmed from him and his complete lack of accountability or leadership skills. Running to the board to grass up players ? Instead we allowed him to go Parkhead two weeks later and humiliate us even more and then he expected us to feel sorry for him with his teary "it's a lonely place out there" crap.

The game at parkhead was the only time I've turned the tv off whilst watching Rangers. I turned it off at 4-0 and was shocked they only beat us 5-0 when I checked the result at full time, I was expecting it to be 8 or 9.

Dave King identified Gerrard.
That is a myth.
Dave King went to Steven’s house before the Roma game to finalise the deal.
SG was originally suggested by Andy Scoulding.
First discussion was with Mark Allen at Steven’s house.
Second discussion was with Stewart Robertson at Steven’s house
Mark Allen’s version of events is pretty accurate.

That is a myth.
Not according to Richard Gough, quoted in the press last week.

King has also said he'd taken council from Dalglish prior to any official move for Gerrard.

That is a myth.
Stevie g has a login

The way it's written, it at first seems as if Mark Allen is claiming the headline credit, but amidst all the text is this on scout Andy Scoulding:

" King and Rangers’ head of scouting, Andy Scoulding, also played their part in Gerrard’s appointment.

“And Andy is probably someone who’s not perhaps given the headlines he deserves.

“When I came into Rangers, there were empty drawers.

“There was nothing in terms of dossiers or succession plans, or any form of database.

“Andy is responsible for all of that. Yes, I gave him a vision but Andy did a lot of the ground work. "

So it looks as if it's scout Andy Scoulding who is the "uncredited" Rangers man.

Without doubt our best signing that we have made this century.
The credit for this is all Mark Allen's.
Remember him mentioning Gerrard ,and could not believe we would get him.
The exposure to the club was immense ,with his world wide appeal.
The team he brought with him as well was top notch.
To put in perspective ,my son showed me an online poll ,that ex-manager Lennon had 350,000 followers ,Stevie G. ..8.2 million.

I was told by the lad I mentioned previously that Allen was hated by pretty much every member of staff at Auchenhowie.

And maybe someone like that was needed to get people out of their comfort zones.

Wilson turned us down originally. The foundations built by Allen made us a more attractive option the next time we asked.

Not according to Richard Gough, quoted in the press last week.

King has also said he'd taken council from Dalglish prior to any official move for Gerrard.
I don’t doubt that Goughie’s info will have come from DK and I am not for a minute suggesting that Dave King wasn’t involved.
I have previously spoken to Mark Allen, Stewart Robertson and Andy Scoulding about it and their version of events is consistent.

Grezda is really the only player we paid a half decent fee for who bombed.
And to be fair it wasn't down to lack of ability that grezda bombed. IMO anyways. I still think he could've done a job for us if he got the head down instead of fucking it up off the pitch, similar to barisic

Doesn't help the cause, but he identified a good player which was his job.

The way it's written, it at first seems as if Mark Allen is claiming the headline credit, but amidst all the text is this on scout Andy Scoulding:

" King and Rangers’ head of scouting, Andy Scoulding, also played their part in Gerrard’s appointment.

“And Andy is probably someone who’s not perhaps given the headlines he deserves.

“When I came into Rangers, there were empty drawers.

“There was nothing in terms of dossiers or succession plans, or any form of database.

“Andy is responsible for all of that. Yes, I gave him a vision but Andy did a lot of the ground work. "

So it looks as if it's scout Andy Scoulding who is the "uncredited" Rangers man.
Some bears either haven't read or don't understand that article. It didn't work out for whatever reason and he made some mistakes, however, given our budget that will always happen. Some of the signings could make us 20 times what we paid. He also identified Scoulding as someone who deserves credit. Clearly still has emotional ties to Rangers and will be happy to see us lift the title. Fair play.

Anyone who played their part in rebuilding our club deserves credit. We were essentially starting from scratch, everything had been cut to the bone. An amazing turnaround

Anyone who read the article would realise that was who he was referring to. Those that didn’t just like to have a go at Mark Allen.

I wondered about a few of the comments. He is effusive in his praise of Andy Scoulding. If he gives himself praise, then its certainly deserved. He got some things wrong, without a doubt, however he unquestionably built the foundations of our current success.

I really like Ross Wilson, i think he has taken us up another level again, but im grateful to Mark Allen and wish him well.

Last edited:
Although he wasn’t my brew, he done a good job, and with no actual experience of that job himself. He has put the ground work in, and took the mystery away from having a DOF, something lots of people questioned, now we have Ross and everyone is lauding it.
Ross is the real deal, but Mark took an empty room and put the wallpaper on and the carpet down, Ross is adding the lampshades and putting a picture of the Queen up.
Kudos to the guy.

Everything that happened that day stemmed from him and his complete lack of accountability or leadership skills. Running to the board to grass up players ? Instead we allowed him to go Parkhead two weeks later and humiliate us even more and then he expected us to feel sorry for him with his teary "it's a lonely place out there" crap.
Players done well in those games though lol

tbh I don’t complain so much about Murty as essentially he was a place holder while something vital was being brewed by King/MA/AS , and they very much came up with the goods . Of course he was out of his depth but that’s highly likely when you make an in-house temporary appointment from a club that has been riven with dubious board members and really poor managerial appointments since we started the bounce back on 2012 ( Warburton less so I guess )

Last edited:
Without doubt our best signing that we have made this century.
The credit for this is all Mark Allen's.
Remember him mentioning Gerrard ,and could not believe we would get him.
The exposure to the club was immense ,with his world wide appeal.
The team he brought with him as well was top notch.
To put in perspective ,my son showed me an online poll ,that ex-manager Lennon had 350,000 followers ,Stevie G. ..8.2 million.
Mark Allen appointment was key , key in that the board had made a sound decision to modernise to a DoF type club with all the other sections under him .
He certainly played a part in taking us to e new much healthier place and that clearly includes being imvolved in choosing a proper class manager in Ge55ard. From McInnes to SG .
the ones who ought to be sidelined from important football matters are those who selected him and Pedro imo .

Mark Allen deserves more credit than he gets. Couple of poor signings with the likes of Nemane and arguably Barker but also helped bring Gerrard to the club

I always hated the way folk would lazily attribute any failed signing to Allen and any decent signing to Gerrard. I’d say his exit and Wilson’s arrival was the right change at the right time, but Allen still played his part.

That and actually standing in front of TV cameras with his bottom lip quivering and eyes filling up as though we’d all end up saying “awww it’s alright pet never you mind”. In terms of low moments it’s right up there with McDowall at Easter Road; another instance of a terrified mouse thrown into a lions den where they wanted nothing more than to just barely escape with minimum damage. Tell you what though, when you hark back to those dark days it makes you appreciate what we have right now all the more.

Mark Allen deserves immense credit, he’s a massive part of where we are today and he should be on the pitch on the first game of the season with Ally, Warburton and everyone else who has contributed on our way back to receive their share of our applause

Played his part I’ll give him that but never Rangers class and never the guy the club wanted. Wasn’t for me then and isn’t for me now. Know from so many people that he wasn’t just disliked he was detested inside Ibrox and Auchenhowie. Hated! Ross Wilson was a always the wanted man and the man we needed and ultimately the man we got. Speaks with class and has done a top job whilst into the bargain people actually respect the guy. Allen never had that and never will. But yes credit where it’s due he played his part.

Mark Allen loves, Mark Allen. Article made for uncomfortable reading but let’s give him a pat on the back before he hurts himself giving himself too many!

As long as I am not accused of racism, the Chinese say that the longest journey starts with a single step. We had to do that when we escaped the shysters grip and the selecting, interviewing and signing Mark Allen was our first step.

We went on from there on the long journey back to the top.

Played his part I’ll give him that but never Rangers class and never the guy the club wanted. Wasn’t for me then and isn’t for me now. Know from so many people that he wasn’t just disliked he was detested inside Ibrox and Auchenhowie. Hated! Ross Wilson was a always the wanted man and the man we needed and ultimately the man we got. Speaks with class and has done a top job whilst into the bargain people actually respect the guy. Allen never had that and never will. But yes credit where it’s due he played his part.

Mark Allen loves, Mark Allen. Article made for uncomfortable reading but let’s give him a pat on the back before he hurts himself giving himself too many!

The man's a fraud. All you had to do was listen to his interviews to know he was full of it. Talking about signing players that would fit our ethos, philosophy and footballing strategy without ever telling us what these were. This latest interview is just more of the same.

Next move for him has to be politics. He'd make a great MP.

Mmm...King says it was himself and Dalglish that pinpointed Gerrard.

Allen & Traynor were a major part of the ridiculous treatment Miller & Wallace recived too.

Yip, agreed, it was Andy Scoulding, but my point was you had to get down to the fine print to read that. From the heading I expected the article to be all about the 'uncredited' individual though.
Sure Scoulding could have been doing without us remembering he was connected to that fraud. Youth manager at best, a fraud. Too many people I like and trust confirmed the same stuff. Divisive, bully boy, arrogant c@nt

Mark Allen deserves more credit than he gets. Couple of poor signings with the likes of Nemane and arguably Barker but also helped bring Gerrard to the club
He brought in SG and rebooted our entire football department from it being almost non existent. He made errors but certainly laid groundwork.

He brought in SG and rebooted our entire football department from it being almost non existent. He made errors but certainly laid groundwork.
Rather than rebooted he got booted out. As I say heard the same stories from too many people I trust and like. Imposter. Yes deserves some credit for some good work but no wonder he was booted out the door quick fire

Rather than rebooted he got booted out. As I say heard the same stories from too many people I trust and like. Imposter. Yes deserves some credit for some good work but no wonder he was booted out the door quick fire
Not saying otherwise, but he started the process. We had no scouting or any professionalism at any level.

Back