Mark Allen

Tpol_rfc

Official Ticketer
Just wondering what people's interpretation of his role at the club are?
I've seen it mentioned or at least alluded to that he'll be in charge of recruitment. I'm probably pretty ignorant of what a director of football actually does to be honest. I have seen it mentioned that he'll basically be in charge of recruitment. Woud that be correct or is it more of a joint thing now along with the manager in identifying personnel? Then again isn't that what scouts are for?
If it seems a silly question or naive then hands up on that.

The manager will say what areas of the park they want to strengthen, and Allen will identify targets. He is also responsible for establishing a proper scouting network. Pedro will still have the final say on each signing.

There was an interview with Mark Allen during halftime for the Dunfermline game where he outlined his role.

The manager will still be allowed his input into recruitment. He'll identify positions and in many cases players he feels would benefit us - it becomes the DF and ancillary staff's role to go get them.

They'll also work together to put in place a strategy from top to bottom at the club.

The manager will say what areas of the park they want to strengthen, and Allen will identify targets. He is also responsible for establishing a proper scouting network. Pedro will still have the final say on each signing.

There was an interview with Mark Allen during halftime for the Dunfermline game where he outlined his role.

I watched that interview and can't recall him mentioning anything about identifying targets. My impression was he's the Chief Exec of the football organisation side of things and wouldn't be getting his hands dirty(ie. not doing much, if anything, with players). Was surprised, I had thought much like yourself.

I like that Rangers have adapted this model and I hope we do it properly and for the long-term

There's no getting away from the fact though that the DoF role doesn't fit with this country's football culture-with that in mind I think the club should be putting the DoF at the forefront when they can.

Its going to take a lot to change people's mindsets from the "manager in total control of formation/style/recruitment" approach.

I'd like to see and hear much more from the club and Mark Allen in this context.

Mark Allan has never been a director of football in any part of his football career up until now he's always been a head of academy guy same as Mark Warbutton his only job will be to bring in young players with potential if you think anything else your wrong

Certainly not ignorant Tpol, it's a modern thing this DOF. If you're into the NFL as I am it's a similar deal to what they have there in a General Manager who over sees the coaching staff and players. He may well be in charge of recruitment, I'm not entirely sure of his exact role, I don't think there's a specific job description for a DOF and it varys from club to club.
I think he's here to sort out the youth regime and put a constructive plan in place, as this is what his background mainly entales. I'd assume recruiting will be a priority of his as well, but who knows whether it's his or Pedro's call on players coming in. Likely a bit of both.

The good thing is that when we do change managers which I hope is years away the transition back room stuff should be a smooth transition. Also as previously said it gives Pedro time to worry about team matters and let Allen do the work on signings once Pedro has identified specific targets.

Mark Allan has never been a director of football in any part of his football career up until now he's always been a head of academy guy same as Mark Warbutton his only job will be to bring in young players with potential if you think anything else your wrong
Wouldn't he be involved in recruiting a new manager as well?

Better tell Mr. Allen, Jc.

Why would he he's no experience or track record of ever doing that in his football career hesnneber been a director of football
He was head of Man City's youth department for 8 years, and he is now our Director of Football. It's called a promotion. You are aware that all Director of Football's have to start somewhere? He's been pretty clear in interviews what his role is and it's far more than what you seem to think it is.

He was head of Man City's youth department for 8 years, and he is now our Director of Football. It's called a promotion. You are aware that all Director of Football's have to start somewhere? He's been pretty clear in interviews what his role is and it's far more than what you seem to think it is.

Never said anything against it I said he's never done it before and he won't be picking managers etc our telling our manager what to do so he's no really a director of football Rangers had a role to fill and they filled it with a guy who can get us decent youth players that's it no promotion lol

Never said anything against it I said he's never done it before and he won't be picking managers etc our telling our manager what to do so he's no really a director of football Rangers had a role to fill and they filled it with a guy who can get us decent youth players that's it no promotion lol
With all due respect, you clearly have not a clue what you're on about. Have a read of what Allen and the club have said about his job before spreading nonsense. Craig Mulholland is in charge of youth setup, not Mark Allen.

So he thinks he's the director of football, Pedro thinks the same and even the board think this but you say he isn't.

Ok then...

Nice to know you know more about his role than he does as well as more than the board and Pedro. Not the first time I've noticed you talking utter rubbish.

Nice to know you know more about his role than he does as well as more than the board and Pedro. Not the first time I've noticed you talking utter rubbish.

No need to try and get personal I've hardly posted so you've seen nothing furthermore I'm just telling you what I think to someone with half a brain it's pretty simple what's happened

Do you work with him directly considering you seem to know a lot about his remit?

No need to try and get personal I've hardly posted so you've seen nothing furthermore I'm just telling you what I think to someone with half a brain it's pretty simple what's happened

You have more posts than most in this thread and you're the one that started getting personal.
But, you got one thing absolutely bang-on, the bit about you having half a brain explains it all.

He added: “I will work on a day to day basis with Pedro. But to make it clear it’s Pedro’s team and he picks the players.

“He will pick the tactics and everything to do with the team but it’s my job to make sure everything is running smoothly and his focus can be solely on the pitch.

“My job is not to get involved with player performances that is the manager’s remit.

“I will deal more with the strategies and taking the club forward. I want to put fans at rest and tell them there is plans to move forward.

“It will take time to build but I want to make sure the fans are suitably informed and get rid of any fears they may have.

“I have to match the ambition with the resources we have. We have to grow in the right way and make sure we get a return on the board’s investment in terms of growing the football club.”

Did you watch the full interview on RTV or at half time which this contained?
Half a brain would say you're talking shite.

You post a link and talk like you kno his role when what I was doing was stating my opinion if you've watched the video and kno his role why do u feel the need to come on a thread discussing his role maybee cause you don't kno a lot and got nothing out the video your a person that's easily lead in my opinion question nothing you get no answers

You've got to be kidding people on? You've stated he's not Director of Football, you've also stated that nobody has said that he was Director of Football. Both of which have been disproven. You've also been given evidence and a link to the full RTV Interview, which I doubt you've watched, or even would watch. Not sure what your agenda is here, but you're talking rubbish clearly when the evidence shows otherwise.

You post a link and talk like you kno his role when what I was doing was stating my opinion if you've watched the video and kno his role why do u feel the need to come on a thread discussing his role maybee cause you don't kno a lot and got nothing out the video your a person that's easily lead in my opinion question nothing you get no answers

You've got to be kidding people on? You've stated he's not Director of Football, you've also stated that nobody has said that he was Director of Football. Both of which have been disproven. You've also been given evidence and a link to the full RTV Interview, which I doubt you've watched, or even would watch. Not sure what your agenda is here, but you're talking rubbish clearly when the evidence shows otherwise.
Cool yer jets mr you've misunderstood everything ive wrote

I'd say it's you that is being simple here

stop digging.
I don't think so I was stateing my thoughts on what his role is gonna be it was nothing bad I'm happy he's gonna bring in decent young players my point was he's no gonna be sacking managers and hiring managers in my opinion

I don't think so I was stateing my thoughts on what his role is gonna be it was nothing bad I'm happy he's gonna bring in decent young players my point was he's no gonna be sacking managers and hiring managers in my opinion
I never said he'd be sacking managers.I dont think it's out of the question he would be asked his opinion on any potential new manager.

Have you watched the full interview with him where he clearly states what his role is? Or are you just making up your own opinion completely against all the evidence? Nobody said he'd be sacking or hiring managers, what Director of Football does?

I would have thought he'd "own" the whole footballing infrastructure, from scouting to the Academy to the soccer schools, to recruitment, and longer term management than a first team manager can do. He has real pedigree so we should start seeing a difference across the piece in a couple of years. The changes to the development squad fixture list are a great start.

I would have thought he'd "own" the whole footballing infrastructure, from scouting to the Academy to the soccer schools, to recruitment, and longer term management than a first team manager can do. He has real pedigree so we should start seeing a difference across the piece in a couple of years. The changes to the development squad fixture list are a great start.

I think a lot of credit has to graham Marty aswell in many aspects of your post there

With all due respect, you clearly have not a clue what you're on about. Have a read of what Allen and the club have said about his job before spreading nonsense. Craig Mulholland is in charge of youth setup, not Mark Allen.
As Director of Football, Mark Allen will be in charge of Craig Mullholland

I was stateing a opinion no need for that at all
"Mark Allan has never been a director of football in any part of his football career up until now he's always been a head of academy guy same as Mark Warbutton his only job will be to bring in young players with potential if you think anything else your wrong"

That was your first post on this thread. You were trying to state a fact but it's been proven that you are the one who's very much in the wrong.

"Mark Allan has never been a director of football in any part of his football career up until now he's always been a head of academy guy same as Mark Warbutton his only job will be to bring in young players with potential if you think anything else your wrong"

That was your first post on this thread. You were trying to state a fact but it's been proven that you are the one who's very much in the wrong.

It's not proven anything he's never been a director of football at any other club

Back