Mark E Smith reading the football results on Match of the Day

From beyond the grave! :eek:

MOTD usually on again on Sunday mornings - worth recording to get the clip - they took the audio of him doing the results and edited together to do the FA Cup results today.

Super apart from that unbearable scouser whose name I can never remember.

Remember going to see them and MES called off about an hour before it was meant to start at the Barrowlands.

No idea if still got them, but I had Fiery Jack and How I Wrote Elastic Man singles. The Fall were bloody good.
Rank rotten live though I’ve heard. Peel used to play them and I enjoyed the singles but the only thing I bought was a greatest hits cd in a flea market a few years ago for a couple of bucks

Rank rotten live though I’ve heard. Peel used to play them and I enjoyed the singles but the only thing I bought was a greatest hits cd in a flea market a few years ago for a couple of bucks

Seen them live in 1981 and remains one of favourite concerts. The live album A Part of America Therein
from the same year is a fine album as is Live in London from 1980.

They were at their best live, and I've seen them countless times.
Over the hundreds, possibly thousands (not me), of concerts over the last four decades they've had issues.
MES would be so drunk some nights the gig would be cancelled or fall apart in disarray.
But that was part of the thrill for the regular The Fall concert-goer.

I saw them once in Ashton-in-Makerfield, north Manchester, we were waiting for the band to come on stage, when the back fire-door burst open, and several roadies came through carrying the body of MES. Clearly very drunk. The guitarist wasn't far behind, only just able to stand. We could see into the dressing room, and MES was a passed-out heap in the far corner. The band came on-stage, playing instrumentals, and some vocals from the drunken guitarist, when eventually MES came out, gave a few grunts, fell over onto the drums, scattered the kit, concert over!

These nights were urban legend among The Fall aficionados, and I'd seen them enough times to take this one on the chin. My friend, who I'd dragged along and who was looking forward to the night, was less impressed.

On record, at concert, they followed John Peel's comments about them:
“They are always different; they are always the same.”

A good Rangers fan, Canon, used to manage The Fall for a brief time - or at least he claimed to. Got me into a launch party in Manchester for, I think, their Celebral Caustic album, where I exchanged pleasantries with MES and his sister before getting into an argument with a bunch of Man Utd. fans about us being the bigger club.

A good Rangers fan, Canon, used to manage The Fall for a brief time - or at least he claimed to. Got me into a launch party in Manchester for, I think, their Celebral Caustic album, where I exchanged pleasantries with MES and his sister before getting into an argument with a bunch of Man Utd. fans about us being the bigger club.
As you do!
Lol.

Back