Mark Walters and Paul Elliot Racially Abused At Parkhead; Before Banana Shame Game

Celtic have a huge racism and anti Semitic number among their fans . Genuinely in my experience in life they are far more intolerant of anyone who isn’t white and/or Roman Catholic , the latter even more so in the last 20 years or so , than anything that could be levelled at Rangers fans being anti-catholic .

We do have some in our number who persist in embarrassing songs about bobby sands and the pope , if we could finally leave that Nonsense behind there’s literally nothing you can pin on Rangers or our supporters other than massive support who travel near and far for their team . Celtic can only dream of this type of scenario as a huge swathe of their support are obsessed with politics/religion/race or all three combined . Rangers fans generally speaking don’t care much for any of those things and if they do they don’t need to show it at football games . It’s been that way as far back as I can remember and yet somehow it’s us who are portrayed as bigots or racists by the MSM . We need to change that as a club .

Was at that game, the incidents at Tynecastle were just as bad, (was either the game before or the game after after this one)

Was at that game, the incidents at Tynecastle were just as bad, (was either the game before or the game after after this one)
You were at the Celtic v Villa game?
The game in the article is a friendly from 86 before either Walter's or Elliot came to Scotland when both were at Villa.
Tynecastle was the week after the piggery and has often been portrayed as the worst of the two - not in my opinion. It was a copy cat effort and potentially looked worse due to the fact the fans are closer to the pitch and was confined to a smaller location.
At the piggery it was more widespread among a greater number of people, with every fruit shop in the area having sold out and extremely vocal fans booing Walters every touch in addition to the monkey chants and costumes. Even Gerry Britton, who was with the youth team at the time and had to clean up afterwards, said he was embarrassed by his fellow fans and that it was the worst he had ever experienced.
The big difference, and why people seem to recall Tynecastle as being worse, was the manner of the reporting - the media actually joked about it at Parkhead and played it down. They probably hoped it was a one off for his debut and only really expressed any sense of outrage the following week when Hearts repeated the scums actions.
That, anyway, is how I recall it having been at both games.

Last edited:
The game at tynecastle was bad . But it was Vauxhall conference compared to what happened at Parkhead.

Every single shop and grocers around the Parkhead area that day had ran out of fruit and vegetables I remember my auld man telling me.

Wasnt at it as I was 9 years old but remember seeing the highlights on tv.

Shameful and the b@stards shouldn't be allowed to forget it.

They do follow the Most Fascist Organisation to ever have walked this planet though so no real surprise.

Last para in the article from the official Celtc club magazine. Separate entity you say?
"The Celtc Boys' Club is proud of that record and proud that we have achieved it under the Celtc banner."

That article from the Celtic View should also be in the main thread re the abuse at CBC and CFC

Yet again Cairney clearly confirming CBC was under the banner and influence of CFC

Also that letter re the racist chants would never be published nowadays given the way Nonce FC control the mhedia narrative via Hollicom

A2vAYZq.jpg

The racist abuse Walters received at Parkhead was sickening, the worst ever seen at a ground in Scottish football, and nothing will ever come close to that again.
The filth gave it a dam god go with the hanging eff
The racist abuse Walters received at Parkhead was sickening, the worst ever seen at a ground in Scottish football, and nothing will ever come close to that again.
The filth gave it a good go with the hanging effigys, also airbrushed from history.

100% true. In 50 years of going to football matches I have never seen a worst display of racism to one man. The Scottish press shamefully bring up tyncastle the next week but it was small beer compared to the sickening display at parkhead.

The fact that Walters always played so well against them afterwards and scored a fair few goals pleased me no end.

Every single shop and grocers around the Parkhead area that day had ran out of fruit and vegetables I remember my auld man telling me.

They do follow the Most Fascist Organisation to ever have walked this planet though so no real surprise.
Keevins said the same thing on RC and he thought it was hilarious.

The idiots on Radio Clyde, egged on by Paul Cooney, were laughing and joking about there being no bananas left in the shops in the East End of Glasgow before the game.

It was utterly shameful the way that they trivialised it all.

I remember being at a friendly against maybe West Brom , maybe between 83-85?
Loads of black players, i was in the enclosure maybe east.
Not a bit of racist remarks from our fans that day. It would have been different on the other side of the city.
I had the pleasure of seeing that West Brom team play Liverpool in 84. Cyril Regis would have been one of the Black players.

Anyone remember that horrible bastard Ian Archer commenting on Tv about Rangers and their expensive signing policy, he mentioned the fee for Walters and remarked after it that’s an awful lot of bananas, he actually said this Scotsport.

Not a bit of racist remarks from our fans that day. It would have been different on the other side of the city.
1977 pre-season tournament at Ibrox. West Brom won it. Laurie Cunningham, the first black player to play for an England side, won Player of the Tournament award which was presented on the pitch. He was given an outstanding ovation from every part of the stadium.

Truthfully he got worse at Tynecastle. That's a fact.

When I wrote a few years ago about Paul Elliot, I heard Mark Walters & him never got on, something to do with their wives anyway I got in touch with Mark to see what he thought of Elliots lies about it & he wouldn't touch it at all.

Don't know anything about that he said & cut me dead. Loved Walters so at the time I was a wee bit gutted but he had his reasons & his own book was out shortly after we spoke

Elliot to be honest is just an idiot. He said something to make himself look great he didn't think would come back to him I've subsequently through the years see him revive it about Italy & not us

Truthfully he got worse at Tynecastle. That's a fact.

When I wrote a few years ago about Paul Elliot, I heard Mark Walters & him never got on, something to do with their wives anyway I got in touch with Mark to see what he thought of Elliots lies about it & he wouldn't touch it at all.

Don't know anything about that he said & cut me dead. Loved Walters so at the time I was a wee bit gutted but he had his reasons & his own book was out shortly after we spoke

Elliot to be honest is just an idiot. He said something to make himself look great he didn't think would come back to him I've subsequently through the years see him revive it about Italy & not us

It’s absolutely not a fact, I was at both games.

Celtic Park was horrific, it’s well documented about fruit and veg shops selling out of fruit before games, Gerry Brittons account in a newspaper is also well known, there were tens of thousands more at Celtic Park than there was at Tynecastle.

1977 pre-season tournament at Ibrox. West Brom won it. Laurie Cunningham, the first black player to play for an England side, won Player of the Tournament award which was presented on the pitch. He was given an outstanding ovation from every part of the stadium.
Would have been the Tenant Caledonian Trophy tournament I have the programme(s) somewhere.

Tynecastle may have looked worse but it wasn't - at least not in my opinion. A few hundred items thrown onto the track over a small area with abusive fans right on top of the players doesn't compare to the much more significant quantity of fruit thrown at the piggery. The fact the cameras zoomed in on a single banana on the pitch and then a couple trackside doesn't mean that that was all that was thrown.
In addition it was more widespread at the piggery with virtually every section of the home support participating to a greater or lesser degree.

Tynecastle was bad but it was a copy cat of the previous week and on a much smaller scale. Others chose to highlight them differently - Parkead, to some, was a bit of a giggle where Tynecastle was outrageous and not the way we should be presenting Scottish football to the outside world.

I was there at both games and remember being absolutely disgusted with the behaviour of both sets of fans and astonished at the difference in reporting of the incidents.

This has always been my opinion - I'd go as far as to say it was the worst in Britain aimed at one single player.

Was one of my first games at the shitter and it was disgusting. The TV highlights only show a tiny part of the abuse. Would be interesting to get our hands on the whole recording of that match.

As bad as Tynecastle was the following week, it was not as bad as the piggery. My overriding feeling leaving Tynecastle that day was that we had made a fantastic signing in Mark Walters.

I was at the Tennent Caledonian cup tournament around 1977 and WBA were there. Brendan Batson ,Cyrille Regis and Laurie Cunningham ( and wee Willie Johnston) It was a cracking atmosphere. We were in the old centenary stand and I can honestly say that the only bad mouthing that day was wee Bud having non stop banter with the bears in the front rows.

There was a bit in BBC a few years ago and it says Rangers banned a fan from the home match v Morton the following week.

Does anyone have a recollection of this?

Interesting that Wallace Mercer apologised for the racism from the Hearts fans. Did Mark get an apology from the filth?

On Wiki it says Mark himself said Tynecastle was worse. I don't remember Mark saying this. My recollection of both matches was the piggery was worse.

My wife and I were in Key West in Florida shortly after Berkovic left them and we got talking to a couple of Israeli guys who were friends of his from back in Israel. They had photos of him and them on holiday and playing football together. Anyway when they found out I was a bear they told me a story very much in line with that printed above and how Berkovic hated the tims and their fans because of the way he was treated by them and the beliefs they were steeped in. They said his treatment came from the very top of the club all the way down. At the time I thought it might have been sour grapes from them because their mate didn't get on at the mentally challenged hut but reading that article I now believe they were telling the truth.

Back