Mark Warburton says Celtic can't just be given the title

ItsInTheNet

FORMER Rangers boss Mark Warburton says that any Celtic fans that are being honest with themselves will admit that Neil Lennon's side should have to play out the rest of the season to be named champions - and stressed that the remaining games must be played to ensure the Premiership's integrity.
Warburton, now manager of English Championship side Queens Park Rangers, insisted that he is not letting his spell as Ibrox manager affect his judgement.
And the 57-year-old reckons that no matter what happens, the 2020/21 season will feel the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

He told the Daily Record: "I know there’s an argument in Scotland that says Celtic should be given the title and put forward into next seasons qualifiers for tge Champions League.

"But think about that for a minute. We don’t even know when those qualifiers will take place. Also I believe you have to win a title. You can’t just be given it.

"That’s not me speaking with my Rangers head on. You’ve got to win a title and I think any honest Celtic fan would agree.

"Down here Liverpool need two more wins before they can rightfully call themselves champions. That’s why we have to finish the domestic programme. There has to be integrity to the competitions.

"Obviously that will cause problems further down the line in terms of next season’s schedule but, without being rude, we’re going through a global pandemic. Thousands of people are dying.

"So how can anyone expect next season to be the same as always? At some point football is going to have to feel a bit of pain.

"If that means doing something radically different to shorten next season, starting it in November or December, then that’s what we have to do."

From the Daily Record?
Expect Frank, where's the burds, McAvennie, Peter the Pointer, Tom Boyd, Joe Miller, Seamus O'Shaunessy, and any number of other rattlers to be brought out to air their opinion on the subject - just for balance of course.

Well said though MW.

Well said.

Cops a lot of flak on here from some, but he did the job he was recruited to do, getting us out the Championship.

Yes, he jumped ship, but his time was almost up with us by then anyway, we needed someone better for the next step.

Souness did way worse remember and all has been forgiven by most where that's concerned.

That sounds like a good plan A Mark. Somehow i can't see the SPFL agreeing with it.

The vibes from the media are they will be gifted the title shortly.
It will now be known as "not the nine in a row".
We need to hammer them. Two OF games left and a game in hand?
You need to win the title not be given it as a hand out.
Tomorrow is Grand National day and its cancelled.
Are Celtic going to be awarded that as well?

I was agreeing with him until he came out with “having” to complete the domestic season,
Football competitions? Really.

You have got to think what the players are feeling about it all, regardless of what they get paid, they have families. It does seem a bit of a lottery - would you risk it 80% mild 20% hospital converting into a death rate between 1% and 12% if figures are to be believed, take into consideration all the numbers are excluding the China reality & other mass under reporting.
I read Cresswell interview, saying he is petrified for his 5 week old - I think the players will revolt If put in a position they need to play... how is playing football essential work during a global pandemic - it’s like an episode of black mirror and I wonder if this is actual reality listening and watching some of the stuff.. it really is quite unbelievable

Well said.

Cops a lot of flak on here from some, but he did the job he was recruited to do, getting us out the Championship.

Yes, he jumped ship, but his time was almost up with us by then anyway, we needed someone better for the next step.

Souness did way worse remember and all has been forgiven by most where that's concerned.
Wasting your time mate, the pitchforks are sharpened already.

His opinion on it is absolute common sense and understands what the world outside football is dealing with.
Which means the Scottish media and football authorities will ignore him as they only care about what's best for Celtic.

Sadly, I fear this will be the case.

Well said Mark, it will be another tainted title otherwise.
It will always be tainted.
Say we do finish the season by shortening next season, we would then have a situation where the squads could in theory be radically different due to contracts running down, transfer windows open etc, so if we do play the games and they do win it, which let’s face it, is highly likely. There will always be an asterisk next to it.

A
It will always be tainted.
Say we do finish the season by shortening next season, we would then have a situation where the squads could in theory be radically different due to contracts running down, transfer windows open etc, so if we do play the games and they do win it, which let’s face it, is highly likely. There will always be an asterisk next to it.
All titles from 2012 till 2017 should have the asterisk beside it.
this one especially, if they get given it of course. Because let’s face it, they will not be winning it on the pitch. This season is over and done with, so it’s either going to be handed to them by the incompetents on floor 6 at hampdump, or some sensible chaps will declare the correct decision, null and void.

Celtic fans that are being honest with themselves
3AbGlJ3.gif

And thus begins The Re-Evaluation of Mark Warburton's Status Amongst the Rangers Support.
My opinion of him has never changed, he did the job we needed at the time, got us out the championship and done it with ease.

He was ultimately found wanting at premier league level and the way he engineered his exit leaves a bitter taste but that doesn’t change the good job he did in his first year and we had the added bonus of one of the greatest old firm victories in recent times as well.

Plus as others have said, Souness did worse and was forgiven.

Well said.

I agree in the main it's just the fact he has always denied trying to manoeuvre an exit to Forest.

Water under the bridge now.

Seems to have a lot to say about us recently.
Maybe Mr Warburton is thinking of releasing a book soon......Negri style.

My opinion of him has never changed, he did the job we needed at the time, got us out the championship and done it with ease.

He was ultimately found wanting at premier league level and the way he engineered his exit leaves a bitter taste but that doesn’t change the good job he did in his first year and we had the added bonus of one of the greatest old firm victories in recent times as well.

Plus as others have said, Souness did worse and was forgiven.

He didn't win it with ease though.

We lost more league games than Falkirk, ffs.

Well said.

The Souness situation was completely different.

What really bugs me is that any pro Rangers statement is always accompanied by the caveat of I’m not just saying this because I had an affiliation with the club while any mentally challenged or mentally challenged sympathiser is given carte Blanche to spout any old pish no questions asked.

Anyway, we’ll said Mark and more power to your elbow.

The Souness situation was completely different.

Why?

We were neck and neck with Aberdeen for the title and he fuucked off and left us in the shite.

All water under the bridge now, but done us a far worse turn than Warburton did.

Why?

We were neck and neck with Aberdeen for the title and he fuucked off and left us in the shite.

All water under the bridge now, but done us a far worse turn than Warburton did.
aye ,but he"s a magnificent bastard dont you know mu,selective amnesia in large sections of our support with souness im afraid, us doing wrong and taking our medicine remarks get swiftly glossed over

Well said and I agree with him but unfortunately in this corrupt footballing backwater it won't matter what's the right thing to do. You can be certain they'll hand them the title, all the spade work is all ready getting done in the Scottish media

aye ,but he"s a magnificent bastard dont you know mu,selective amnesia in large sections of our support with souness im afraid, us doing wrong and taking our medicine remarks get swiftly glossed over

I like Souness Yosser, but we can't rewrite history.

He was manufacturing a move to Liverpool while we were trying to win the league and Murray sent him packing as soon as he found out.

MW is saying the key thing here

100’s of 1000’s are dying around the world and no one can know when football can start and football should not be the priority FFS

Handing out league titles and European competition places is not on and the mentally challengeds should be ashamed for setting the agenda 3 weeks ago when football was mothballed but they cannot help themselves

The mentally challenged puppets in the mhedia should be told to STFU and respect the dire situation we are facing

There is no such thing as an honest mentally challenged.

Every last one of them are desperate to be handed this title now, and their reaction to the Belgian league decision proves that.

They are shameless, morally bankrupt scum.

Agree BT. I had one In work who’s a really smart guy but said if this season is null & void he’s finished with football.

So I said well mate I’m a Rangers man as you know & I’ll be fucking livid if you are given it without winning it, so what are you suggesting then ?:D

Well said.

I remember waiting in line to board the GLA to LHR shuttle on my way back to the U.S about two weeks before he got fired and he came off the incoming flight. He looked terrible. Regardless of how it turned out, it made me feel sick to the stomach as he walked passed me seeing a Rangers manager look so down.

I like Souness Yosser, but we can't rewrite history.

He was manufacturing a move to Liverpool while we were trying to win the league and Murray sent him packing as soon as he found out.
as do i,loved when he signed us englands captain and goal keeper,got our ground packed out and gave our club a bit of respect back ,but all of that doesnt mean we overlook his leaving us,and subsequently his refusal to call out murray for what he led us into,instead we were told to basically suck it up and move on,

FORMER Rangers boss Mark Warburton says that any Celtic fans that are being honest with themselves will admit that Neil Lennon's side should have to play out the rest of the season to be named champions - and stressed that the remaining games must be played to ensure the Premiership's integrity.
Warburton, now manager of English Championship side Queens Park Rangers, insisted that he is not letting his spell as Ibrox manager affect his judgement.
And the 57-year-old reckons that no matter what happens, the 2020/21 season will feel the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

He told the Daily Record: "I know there’s an argument in Scotland that says Celtic should be given the title and put forward into next seasons qualifiers for tge Champions League.

"But think about that for a minute. We don’t even know when those qualifiers will take place. Also I believe you have to win a title. You can’t just be given it.

"That’s not me speaking with my Rangers head on. You’ve got to win a title and I think any honest Celtic fan would agree.

"Down here Liverpool need two more wins before they can rightfully call themselves champions. That’s why we have to finish the domestic programme. There has to be integrity to the competitions.

"Obviously that will cause problems further down the line in terms of next season’s schedule but, without being rude, we’re going through a global pandemic. Thousands of people are dying.

"So how can anyone expect next season to be the same as always? At some point football is going to have to feel a bit of pain.

"If that means doing something radically different to shorten next season, starting it in November or December, then that’s what we have to do."

I've yet to meet an honest celtc fan....

He's absolutely correct. They can't. Also, if there is any truth in UEFA saying that leagues that null and void competitions won't get access to Champions League etc. then they should be brought to task. So, it's OK for them to let clubs in to Europe that might not have got there but not OK for a league to be declared null and void. Also, I am assuming they're going to pick a winner of the Europa and Champions League? They can't just declare that null and void then.

UEFA are allowed to get involved in domestic competitions or they aren't. They can't pick and choose.

Back