Mark Warburton to West Ham assistant coach

When you look back, the squad he brought up into the top flight didn’t have a hope in hell of competing with that Celtic side. To then give him such little to strengthen with was poor when you consider the money we immediately chucked at Pedro.

A good guy who left us in a considerably better place then when he took over.

When you look back, the squad he brought up into the top flight didn’t have a hope in hell of competing with that Celtic side. To then give him such little to strengthen with was poor when you consider the money we immediately chucked at Pedro.

A good guy who left us in a considerably better place then when he took over.
If nothing else, we can thank him for bringing Tav to the club. I liked the guy though.

Imagine going from being a Rangers manager to three jobs later being an assistant first team coach under Davie Moyes. Doesn’t reflect too well on us, albeit more from an esteem perspective as a Bluenose rather that what anyone thinks of us as a club.

In a sense, you could say that he has paid the price for repeatedly failing to set a defence up properly.

Bit of a weird pair of up styles there. If Moyes continues to do well it's basically a cooshty job for him for the foreseeable. I think he's given up on his dream of managing at the very top like he said he set out to do.

Might be welcomed by the players with fresh ideas and training.
Ferguson used do it all the time change first team coaches to keep things fresh

He got us where we needed to go, I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t get a warm welcome

Maybe he will learn how to adapt tactics based on the game by watching Gio.

In all seriousness, got us back, gave us Tav, all the best.

It’s a strange situation when it comes to Warbuton for many Rangers fans. Yes he got us back into the Premier League but the task ahead of Him at that point proved to be too big.. His departure and the alleged approach to Notts Forest remains to this day a case of “ he said, they said” which did neither Warburton or the club any favours. Whilst I’d hope the majority agree to wish him well, I have a sneekong suspicion that the expectation became too much and he took the easy way out.

I liked Warburton. Took a brave manager to say that’s not how you play football. We were honking before he joined and he got the team playing properly again.

His championship year still one of my favourites, absolute joy to watch
We were alright for about six months before the managerial powerhouses of the Scottish Championship figured out how to counter Plan A.

The semi-final was obviously very enjoyable, but ultimately of little consequence because the bread man was out-thought again by Alan f.ucking Stubbs at Hampden.

Was a good Championship manager winning promotion but had no Plan B and was a dud in the Premier League.
He's probably best suited to be an assistant coach.

We played great football under him in the championship. I often wonder how things would have went if he was given decent money to spend in his second season.

Don't understand the pairing with Moyes. Two completely different styles of philosophy. But there's great evidence of time being a great healer.

We played great football under him.

For 6 months.

Then he was found out by the rest of the championship and the last 6 months were turgid, Scottish Cup semi final aside (and maybe Dundee)

Still continues to lie to this day about Nottingham Forest.

Doesn't deserve to be booed. But he certainly doesn't deserve some sort of heroes welcome. Golfers clap would suffice.

Cheers for Tav though.

Was genuinely excited when he came in and got my first season ticket the year he came in. Some great moments under him and brought a buzz back I think. Left under a cloud obviously and not sure we will ever know exactly what happened there

Regardless of the quality of his squad, setting up a 3 man midfield at the piggery, insisting on continually playing out from the back when your defenders are nowhere near good enough for that, describing a cup final loss to a side famous for being serial bottlers as “a great occasion” and making us into the most predictable team in the land who really only had a solid 6 months under his leadership, and being unable to defend a corner kick or any sort of cross into the box because you neglect defence, are not things that can be blamed on anyone else but him.

To be honest it’s absolutely mind boggling the adulation he still gets after the shifty deals he did with his mate in the most over inflated market imaginable, before looking for the exit, getting caught and threatening legal action against the club. That’s before you get to convincing the board to pay big wages to Barton (they had to be convinced) before washing his hands of the whole affair when Barton did what Barton does. But yeah great guy and wish him all the best etc. Load of bollocks.

Find it quite bizarre the praise he gets for winning the 2nd tier of Scottish football with it's biggest club.

Biggest what if for me is if he was given the money Pedro was given. There was a reason he was whoring himself out elsewhere
His career since has shown he is competent, but no more than that.

I bear no ill will towards him as he improved us, got us back to the premier league, gave us one of the most memorable old firm victories ever, but most importantly, reshaped our academy completely and that’s something we are now seeing the benefit of.

Wasn’t good enough as our manager ultimately, but best of luck to the man.

Regardless of the quality of his squad, setting up a 3 man midfield at the piggery, insisting on continually playing out from the back when your defenders are nowhere near good enough for that, describing a cup final loss to a side famous for being serial bottlers as “a great occasion” and making us into the most predictable team in the land who really only had a solid 6 months under his leadership, and being unable to defend a corner kick or any sort of cross into the box because you neglect defence, are not things that can be blamed on anyone else but him.

To be honest it’s absolutely mind boggling the adulation he still gets after the shifty deals he did with his mate in the most over inflated market imaginable, before looking for the exit, getting caught and threatening legal action against the club. That’s before you get to convincing the board to pay big wages to Barton (they had to be convinced) before washing his hands of the whole affair when Barton did what Barton does. But yeah great guy and wish him all the best etc. Load of bollocks.

The stuff you mention is stuff that people forgot about him I think and add the classic of “make plan A better”

Big Spurs fan :)

Assistant role at West Ham will be big money. A good move for him if Moyes chucks it.

The stuff you mention is stuff that people forgot about him I think and add the classic of “make plan A better”
It just seems mad to me, there’s people who’ve brought more to the club than him who don’t get as much respect or as many well wishes.

I don’t really want him to fail or anything, but at the same I can’t be excited or happy for him because of the aforementioned misdemeanours, and just the fact that he generally came across as a bit of a snake oil salesman. He’s great at talking, he’s undeniably charming, and I think he used that to pull the wool over the eyes of much of the support, myself included.

Come on then tell us all the money he wasted and explain how he held us back?
Big wages on Barton, Sendeross, Kranjcar, the colossal waste of a wage that was O’Halloran, and spunking £2m odds on Joe Garner, who was pretty much the antithesis of the Warburton philosophy.

Of course it’s not as bad as what we blew under Pedro, it’s still not very good. Especially fighting tooth and nail to convince the board to cough up a good wage for Barton with his history.

Gio loyal will be dusting down his magic hat.

That guy had some hard on for Warbuton :))

I think he'll be well received and hope that's the case.

Improved us for a while but ultimately he's not a top level manager. I think he'd be more suited to a technical director type role of he could sign players from more than one agency. No ill feeling towards him.

Back