Markinch Ibrox Disaster Memorial

Used to live 5mins or so away, glad that its being looked after, Peter's mum on the the bbc documentary from 2001 Is still heartbreaking

Full documentary Is on Youtube as well

That interview is heartbreaking

I can't watch that interview with the lady who lost her son. It's just too heartbreaking.
yes dh, watched it originally and i think another time it appeared on a memorial programme. its heartbreaking to listen to the lady.
50 years coming up.

Have not seen video and won't watch it either as it will be very emotional.

I was down in Manchester with my two sons for the Euro final and on the eve we went to a club which my youngest son,a member of the Govan Protestant Boys,had got us tickets for.
It was a great evening but when they had a section on remembering the disaster,very moving,I sobbed my heart out and had to explain to my sons I had decided at last minute not to go to game and that would have been the stairway I would have left from.

Remember leaving the game with about 4 minutes of the game remaining left by my normal way, stairway 13 and as we were walking to PRW to try and get a taxi we heard the sirens, nothing unusual in that considering the opposition but it wasn't until we got into Partick the first of the news started to be heard.

No mobiles back then and not all families had house phones, it was the worst time ever waiting to hear family members were ok. I got home to Drumchapel to the relief of my family, a friend of many of us wasn't so lucky. May the 66 rest in peace

Me and a friend from school left the ground a few minutes early as we had moved nearer the exit and couldnt see much of the game. We used stairway 13.

We didnt know anything about the tragedy until we arrived back in our own street in Coatbridge to find our families and many neighbours gathered outside. Our first thoughts were 'what the hell are they doing'?

I made a point of attending the unveiling of the memorial in Markinch a number of years ago. Willie Johnston and Dave Smith were there. Very emotional.

My da and his pals were at the game. They lived in govan at the time and like most they knew nothing of the disaster until much later.
Its really nice and yet so sad that there is a memorial to those lads.
We should never forget this game, we owe it to those lost to keep going but never forget what was our clubs blackest day.

I was at the game v Falkirk on 1st Jan with my dad. We had tickets for the 2nd. On the morning of the game my dad wasn't feeling well and I was not allowed to go with my uncles as I was only 9. "At the top of 13" was where we would meet my uncles and grandad if travelling separately. It's horrible to think how easily something so tragic happened so quickly and without warning. RIP the 66 souls.

I was at the game v Falkirk on 1st Jan with my dad. We had tickets for the 2nd. On the morning of the game my dad wasn't feeling well and I was not allowed to go with my uncles as I was only 9. "At the top of 13" was where we would meet my uncles and grandad if travelling separately. It's horrible to think how easily something so tragic happened so quickly and without warning. RIP the 66 souls.

I was at my grannies in Laidlaw St as an 8 year old, my old man promised to take me to the game but went to the boozer with my grandfather at lunchtime and didn't come home until too late to go. I can still vividly remember all the ambulances heading towards Paisley Rd and my old gran wondering what was happening.

RIP the 66.

I was born in a house a short walk from there. Can’t bring myself to watch the interviews.

For those that did not attend games in the sixties and seventies they may not understand as much the effects of such large crowds when there was no electronic or manual count of the "actual" crowd. You moved with the crowd and were penned in by either a wall or a row of railway sleepers.

Too young for the game but I can well imagine the horrors of being swept along in a crowd surge especially as a young boy and literally being swept off your feet with no control and not being able to see where you are going.

When you see old crowd shots and the likes of this video from the Kop when we all felt it was part of the atmosphere but never took into account the dangers.

I was 6 and can’t remember the game and aftermath. Will never forget that interview with Peter Eastons mum - heartbreaking.
But when I started going to games in the late 70s I always remember my dad telling me to keep my arms up when leaving a ground.
I must have looked daft in the crowds with my arms up in the air!

I was at Brockville as well on the 1st. Wasnt my usual supporters bus and I ended up sitting next to a bloke called Dickson. I think his first name was Andrew. He broke his arm that day iirc. He was killed on stairway 13.

For those that did not attend games in the sixties and seventies they may not understand as much the effects of such large crowds when there was no electronic or manual count of the "actual" crowd. You moved with the crowd and were penned in by either a wall or a row of railway sleepers.

Too young for the game but I can well imagine the horrors of being swept along in a crowd surge especially as a young boy and literally being swept off your feet with no control and not being able to see where you are going.
You're right. I've been swept along by crowds at Ibrox, Hampden, The Piggery and at Murrayfield (in 1975 for the famous game vs Wales) and it is terrifying.

This is why I was furious about the mocking our fans got for being 'trapped outside' at Rugby Park last year. This was such a piece of ignorance from the empty-headed Scottish press. Yes, you can be 'trapped outside' and it is horrific.

When I'm off work ill do the school run and go past it just to be sure it's in good condition. Tbf it always is, apart from someone driving over the grass close to it a few months back it's always well maintained and respected.

When you see old crowd shots and the likes of this video from the Kop when we all felt it was part of the atmosphere but never took into account the dangers.

That was just crazy.

I remember standing in the Rangers end at Ibrox in the early 70s. We were playing Airdrie I think. I said at half time that I'd not been able to see the game at all.

A man beside me turned and said, "Don't worry. You've not missed anything!"

Back