Martin Bain letter/leaflet to fans

mdingwall

Administrator
Doesn't have a date on it - anyone advise?

w5M4UUc.jpg

Banning songs like the famine song has IMO made things worse. I have certainly noticed the bitterness increasing(mostly their side) since the crackdown on songs that were little more than banter.

Ah the infamous "song" along with subtitles and bouncing ball incase you couldn't read on BBC Scotland 6.30pm news.

For those moaning about coverage now, this one was a prime example of how it was allowed to gain momentum.

To be honest it doesn't need a date. If we as Rangers fans want to see us reaching the top of Scottish and European football and staying there, it's important not to be seen or heard playing tit for tat any sort of sectarian abuse. It doesn't matter if the 'others' do it. What's more important is Rangers reputation. I've never been so proud of what Stevie G. players and staff have achieved thus far so let's not give the anti-Gers Brigade ie. The mhedia, SNP, SFA and SPFL any excuses to continue with with their negative rhetoric. It's on the pitch that matters. We are the best and biggest, more trophies and soon to be the 55th league win. WATP

I don't see the issue with the famine song. They are what they are. Let them hear it.
There was no famine "song". There was a chant. Then someone decided to flesh a full song out of it online. Admittedly there was some dodgy things on that version. Was never sung at any game and it changed the full narrative in the press that it was this and that even though it was never sung by the Rangers support. That's my memory of it anyway.

The famine song really heralded the sno-flake era.

And since that era began they have taken advantage of it by far surpassing our one song by firstly hanging effigies in their dirtbowl of hate and continuing unchallenged by anything from them by any authority be it media, judicial or law enforcement.

Ah, Mr Bain. The man with the spinal solidity of an eel. A rat bastard who cared not for the club or it’s reputation and more about how the bad stuff made him look.

A song that’s as offensive as the least offensive thing you can think of, yet gets national press over any other sectarian song sung by the green and grey brigade.

The song wasn’t my cup of tea personally, but I don’t think it was found offensive by anyone really, apart from the hand-wringing element of their support who were just born to be offended anyway.

Last edited:
It was around this time Phil 3Names managed to get on Ewan Cameron's evening show and claim his daughter had heard it while watching Rangers v Celtic and was in tears.

someone decided to flesh a full song out of it online. Admittedly there was some dodgy things on that version. Was never sung at any game and it changed the full narrative in the press that it was this and that even though it was never sung by the Rangers support. That's my memory of it anyway.
Athenry Mike was a thief and large John he was fully briefed ...

They did realise that protestants died in the famine too? The whole point of the song is a bit like saying continually you hate your job and doing nothing about it (i.e get another one)

To be honest it doesn't need a date. If we as Rangers fans want to see us reaching the top of Scottish and European football and staying there, it's important not to be seen or heard playing tit for tat any sort of sectarian abuse. It doesn't matter if the 'others' do it. What's more important is Rangers reputation. I've never been so proud of what Stevie G. players and staff have achieved thus far so let's not give the anti-Gers Brigade ie. The mhedia, SNP, SFA and SPFL any excuses to continue with with their negative rhetoric. It's on the pitch that matters. We are the best and biggest, more trophies and soon to be the 55th league win. WATP
Personally I hope when the crowds are allowed back the obvious songs are no longer heard at the games.

I don’t want to hear about dead terrorists, nuns , the pope any longer

It’s had it day, should’ve all been binned off decades ago and I very much doubt Gerrard, staff and players want to hear any of it

Bain has the breaking strain of a kit kat. The famine is over and we should sing that song at every mentally challenged game.

The songs/banners/effigies directed at us go unchecked and unpunished and will continue to be ignored by everyone but us! Bain consistently failed to take them to task.

It was around this time Phil 3Names managed to get on Ewan Cameron's evening show and claim his daughter had heard it while watching Rangers v Celtic and was in tears.

Gerry McNee wanted Follow Follow banned because of the reference to Dublin. I called Real Radio and Ewan Cameron agreed that our enemies shouldnt be allowed to dictate what songs we can and cant sing.

There's nothing wrong with the famine song. It asks a great question - why don't they go home? Afterall, they raped and fondled their kids...

The absolute media frenzy and over reaction at that time regarding said song was ridiculous

They really kicked on roundabout 2007 onwards with that trash, all the one-sided "sectarian" song stuff and what happened in 2008 leading up to the Manchester final showed that those behind the campaign had the full backing of the SFA and SPL at the time. It gives you the boke that these same snakes are still inhabit the same places of power in Scotland a decade later.

I don't see the issue with the famine song. They are what they are. Let them hear it.
It was an absolute disgrace that the song, a tongue in cheek pop at their faux-Oirishness was banned.

they get away with singing fat worse ever single week (under normal circumstances).

Doesn't have a date on it - anyone advise?

w5M4UUc.jpg
The Martin Bain that in an interview described how he was “intent on taking the blue out of Ibrox” and was loathe to hire Rangers supporters for employment within the club because “they care too much!”
The lickspittle of all lickspittles to Murray, think of Smithers to Mr Burns in the Simpsons and you might get close to the obsequiousness of this permatanned toady.
That missive will have been because The Custodian would either be being criticised or he wanted our money for something.

Bain has the breaking strain of a kit kat. The famine is over and we should sing that song at every mentally challenged game.

The songs/banners/effigies directed at us go unchecked and unpunished and will continue to be ignored by everyone but us! Bain consistently failed to take them to task.
Hey come on. That's not fair. A Kit Kat has a decent amount of strength. He's more like a Curly Wurly. Or maybe a half dunked digestive.

And the bbc used bouncing ball graphics with the lyrics to song

& they still never done anything with the weekly ira songbook despite gov legislation in combating those who support terrorism

Personally I hope when the crowds are allowed back the obvious songs are no longer heard at the games.

I don’t want to hear about dead terrorists, nuns , the pope any longer

It’s had it day, should’ve all been binned off decades ago and I very much doubt Gerrard, staff and players want to hear any of it
Nailed it. No place for this tripe at Ibrox.
There's nothing wrong with the famine song. It asks a great question - why don't they go home? Afterall, they raped and fondled their kids...
I hope that's not a serious post. If you honestly think those things are ok to sing about, we've got a long way to go!
Absolutely. Bain was rightfully criticised for many things, but I didn't see much wrong with this letter. Rangers, at the very least, had to demonstrate that they were trying to engage with fans to prevent songs which had been stated were illegal to sing and would cause fans to be arrested. That's before you even consider whether it's remotely decent to be singing this stuff and bringing it into football.

Nailed it. No place for this tripe at Ibrox.

I hope that's not a serious post. If you honestly think those things are ok to sing about, we've got a long way to go!

Absolutely. Bain was rightfully criticised for many things, but I didn't see much wrong with this letter. Rangers, at the very least, had to demonstrate that they were trying to engage with fans to prevent songs which had been stated were illegal to sing and would cause fans to be arrested. That's before you even consider whether it's remotely decent to be singing this stuff and bringing it into football.
What I would love more is for us as fans to find new songs, new words to bring to the masses. When we are playing next season, the footballing world's eyes and ears will be upon us. Let us show them 'EVERYONE and ANYONE' means something.
One things for sure, the mhanky mob won't be able to change. The GB and most of their fans don't have the intelligence to realise the damage it does to a Clubs reputation.

I remember that letter, was it not attached to every seat at Ibrox?? Fans sang it anyway, and at the following home game, there was simply an announcement on the score board saying you'd get lifted if you sang it.

Some very clever lyrics in that version.
I used to listen to it on YouTube.
I always found it entertaining. :shh:

by the pesky blighters or something like that?

Personally, I thought it was racist and embarrassing and thoroughly nasty. It also gave any 'banter' argument zero credibility. Edgar was blindsided on the radio and he, understandably, didn't have a leg to stand on.

I sat in Amo's restaurant in Florence the morning after the night before and a table of middle aged couples sang the full thing, a real cringe moment. I prefer 'anyone, everyone' to be honest.

the single line chant was spot on, the song was a perfect example of how we always make an arse of defending the support, we always give the enemies the loaded gun.

IMHO

Back