Martin Bain

SDF

There's an interview in Spiersy's (I know!) PLG book with the Austria Vienna GM where he says something along the lines of Bain was by the far the easiest negotiator to manipulate and take the piss out of. Guy said he couldn't believe how easy it was to get Bain to keep bidding more and more.

I think he said we ended up paying over 4 times what we originally valued Sebo at, and well over what t Austria Vienna would have happily sold him for.

prenzlauerbear

There's an interview in Spiersy's (I know!) PLG book with the Austria Vienna GM where he says something along the lines of Bain was by the far the easiest negotiator to manipulate and take the piss out of. Guy said he couldn't believe how easy it was to get Bain to keep bidding more and more.

I think he said we ended up paying over 4 times what we originally valued Sebo at, and well over what t Austria Vienna would have happily sold him for.
I'm sure the president of Figueroa's first club, Rosario maybe, said he was the most unprofessional person he'd ever encountered in football.

Hap Hapablap

Prior to being at Rangers he was a really crap catalog model.

According to some former players when he first became involved with Rangers he was a general dogsbody, he was responsible for cleaning players cars and the like.

To their amazement when they returned years later he had worked his way up to be working alongside the board.

He was typical Murray regime, had no understanding of the fans, wasn't interested in defending the fans when the media were taking pot shots, only came to arms if something was written that would look bad on Murray International Holdings, didn't like employing fans because "they care too much", referred to us as Ibrox FC in an interview once, and generally seemed to like selling our players for about 1/4 of what we would have got for them in the market at the time.

Just to name a few.
Let's not create fantasy stories. Bain was never at any point washing players cars ffs.

He worked in the commercial department and then became head of commercial. From there he was given a new role which was called head of football business, a role which effectively ousted Campbell Ogilvie, a man who has forgotten more about running a football club than Bain would ever know. Murray then made him Chief Executive and made him carry out the dirty work of effectively firing our whole retail department when he cut the JJB deal. That deal should have been the wake up call to all Rangers supporters about who Murray was and the way he was doing business in relation to Rangers. It was a sign of things to come.

He was an absolute charlatan but he had charm and both Smith and McCoist succumbed to it. Bain was also lucky Smith was working miracles those 3 years and he hung onto the coat tails of that success. Had we not had a winning team on the park he may have been scrutinised further.

Only when The Mint was 'duped' by googly eyes did the penny drop for Bain. He'd been used.

BillStruthsGreenhouse

Bain wasn't washing cars himself, but early in his time at Ibrox he arranged for the players cars to be valeted and washed, and if they needed transport, flights, hotels or accommodation etc he arranged, and later he had staff who arranged.

Many people start off low and work their way up through organisations, he was one of them. I heard before that a number of players that came to Rangers did not think much of him.

immortal7

Official Ticketer
His treatment of Nick Peel and Campbell Ogilvie was disgraceful. Along the lines of, 'here's a black bag, clear your desk and security will be along shortly'.

CO would never bad mouth the club in public but I was told he was treated abominably when he was, ahem, asked to leave.

Bain had sharp elbows and a long toungue.

Ally

Official Ticketer
Perhaps the founders trail guys on here could clarify but I’m sure there’s a story of Bain asking them if any of the founding fathers were Jewish. He was all disappointed when they weren’t as his master plan was to play on this to get away from the ‘Protestant club’ angle.

A shitebag and a self serving arse licker.

Johnny Yen

Bain is a tadger, of that there is no doubt, however the whole not employing our own or not employing Rangers fans has been taken out of context. I was at the AGM when Bain spoke about this, I believe he merely stated he wanted the best and most qualified people for jobs at the club, not necessarily Rangers fans, I think that’s what he was driving at.

sw26

The Sunderland documentary was certainly enlightening about his character. Always had the vibe he loved himself a bit but that took it to a whole new level.

The Goalie

Bain is a tadger, of that there is no doubt, however the whole not employing our own or not employing Rangers fans has been taken out of context. I was at the AGM when Bain spoke about this, I believe he merely stated he wanted the best and most qualified people for jobs at the club, not necessarily Rangers fans, I think that’s what he was driving at.
i think there was also an interview with a newspaper where he said if 2 people applied for a job at Rangers with similar CVs and 1 was a Rangers fan, he would hire the other person.

Amstel

I never met him personally but a mate did work in his house in Stirling. He said he was really down to earth and a good guy. We played chelsea in a friendly at Ibrox that weekend. He gave them tickets for the game and a case of beer at the end of the job.
He was at the helm at the beginning of the downsizing at Rangers and that stint prior to whyte we went 2 years without signing a player and still won league titles.

It says a lot that the only job he could get when he left Rangers was in Israel.

Paulski54

I had some dealings with him years ago, professionally and personally. I used to work at Ibrox years ago and he stadium itself was my place of work for a few years. Worked for a company who was on retainer for maintenance of sound systems etc at the stadium so I used to see and hear things from inside the place. I felt I was quite lucky I worked there. I worked on loads of projects in the ground, the digital clock and scoreboards, bar72, and the digital rework of the stadiums communications. We used to take our lunch in bar72 not long after it was opened, so they used that as a staff room. Bain used to saunter in, wanting everyone to look at him. I felt he was a bit of a weirdo personally. The company I worked for did work at his home, and on his extension there too. My gaffer sucked up his arse, and he was a Tim. I knew that he didn’t have to pay a penny for any work on his gaff, or the extension.
he was a slippery bastard who cost us a lot of money on and off the field. He cared Not a jot about anyone but himself. He also used to enjoy some extra marital desk gymnastics with some of his younger female assistants.
A rat bastard, an incompetent and a moron in general. A very rich one.

immortal7

Official Ticketer
i think there was also an interview with a newspaper where he said if 2 people applied for a job at Rangers with similar CVs and 1 was a Rangers fan, he would hire the other person.
The Man Who Took The Blue Out Of Rangers

it was in the Herald

Tommyhlrsc

Official Ticketer
Never forget the presser with him and Lawell - Him meekly agreeing like a nodding dog and hanging on every word the fat jap said.
A self obsessed charlatan who would gladly eat himself.

Our Club or his tan - The tan would win everytime.

Hideyorii

The Cnt got off on playing Billy Bigbaws at our expense.

MarkWalters11

i am pretty sure he was the reason Caniggia got screwed over and never got the contract he was promised by Eck, a total prick of a man

iaatpies

Bain was an absolute arsepiece. Ex male catalogue model with no track record in business. He was Murray's willing yes man. He was massively out of his depth. Cost us Nick Peel, who was brought in to transform our retail operation. He made an absolute mockery of Le Guen, bringing in 3rd rate players who were either way down on the Frenchman's list of targets or not on his list at all (Sebo in place of Elmander, Jose Karl Piere Fan-Fan et al).

A complete prick of a guy.