Martin Bain

His treatment of Nick Peel and Campbell Ogilvie was disgraceful. Along the lines of, 'here's a black bag, clear your desk and security will be along shortly'.

CO would never bad mouth the club in public but I was told he was treated abominably when he was, ahem, asked to leave.

Bain had sharp elbows and a long toungue.

Perhaps the founders trail guys on here could clarify but I’m sure there’s a story of Bain asking them if any of the founding fathers were Jewish. He was all disappointed when they weren’t as his master plan was to play on this to get away from the ‘Protestant club’ angle.

A shitebag and a self serving arse licker.

Bain is a tadger, of that there is no doubt, however the whole not employing our own or not employing Rangers fans has been taken out of context. I was at the AGM when Bain spoke about this, I believe he merely stated he wanted the best and most qualified people for jobs at the club, not necessarily Rangers fans, I think that’s what he was driving at.

The Sunderland documentary was certainly enlightening about his character. Always had the vibe he loved himself a bit but that took it to a whole new level.

The Smithers to David Murray's Montgomery Burns.
clzTbW2.gif

Exactly !

Bain is a tadger, of that there is no doubt, however the whole not employing our own or not employing Rangers fans has been taken out of context. I was at the AGM when Bain spoke about this, I believe he merely stated he wanted the best and most qualified people for jobs at the club, not necessarily Rangers fans, I think that’s what he was driving at.
i think there was also an interview with a newspaper where he said if 2 people applied for a job at Rangers with similar CVs and 1 was a Rangers fan, he would hire the other person.

I never met him personally but a mate did work in his house in Stirling. He said he was really down to earth and a good guy. We played chelsea in a friendly at Ibrox that weekend. He gave them tickets for the game and a case of beer at the end of the job.
He was at the helm at the beginning of the downsizing at Rangers and that stint prior to whyte we went 2 years without signing a player and still won league titles.

It says a lot that the only job he could get when he left Rangers was in Israel.

I had some dealings with him years ago, professionally and personally. I used to work at Ibrox years ago and he stadium itself was my place of work for a few years. Worked for a company who was on retainer for maintenance of sound systems etc at the stadium so I used to see and hear things from inside the place. I felt I was quite lucky I worked there. I worked on loads of projects in the ground, the digital clock and scoreboards, bar72, and the digital rework of the stadiums communications. We used to take our lunch in bar72 not long after it was opened, so they used that as a staff room. Bain used to saunter in, wanting everyone to look at him. I felt he was a bit of a weirdo personally. The company I worked for did work at his home, and on his extension there too. My gaffer sucked up his arse, and he was a Tim. I knew that he didn’t have to pay a penny for any work on his gaff, or the extension.
he was a slippery bastard who cost us a lot of money on and off the field. He cared Not a jot about anyone but himself. He also used to enjoy some extra marital desk gymnastics with some of his younger female assistants.
A rat bastard, an incompetent and a moron in general. A very rich one.

i think there was also an interview with a newspaper where he said if 2 people applied for a job at Rangers with similar CVs and 1 was a Rangers fan, he would hire the other person.

The Man Who Took The Blue Out Of Rangers

it was in the Herald

Never forget the presser with him and Lawell - Him meekly agreeing like a nodding dog and hanging on every word the fat Japanese said.
A self obsessed charlatan who would gladly eat himself.

Our Club or his tan - The tan would win everytime.

There's an interview in Spiersy's (I know!) PLG book with the Austria Vienna GM where he says something along the lines of Bain was by the far the easiest negotiator to manipulate and take the piss out of. Guy said he couldn't believe how easy it was to get Bain to keep bidding more and more.

I think he said we ended up paying over 4 times what we originally valued Sebo at, and well over what t Austria Vienna would have happily sold him for.
The Cnt got off on playing Billy Bigbaws at our expense.

i am pretty sure he was the reason Caniggia got screwed over and never got the contract he was promised by Eck, a total prick of a man

Bain was an absolute arsepiece. Ex male catalogue model with no track record in business. He was Murray's willing yes man. He was massively out of his depth. Cost us Nick Peel, who was brought in to transform our retail operation. He made an absolute mockery of Le Guen, bringing in 3rd rate players who were either way down on the Frenchman's list of targets or not on his list at all (Sebo in place of Elmander, Jose Karl Piere Fan-Fan et al).

A complete prick of a guy.

Bain was an absolute arsepiece. Ex male catalogue model with no track record in business. He was Murray's willing yes man. He was massively out of his depth. Cost us Nick Peel, who was brought in to transform our retail operation. He made an absolute mockery of Le Guen, bringing in 3rd rate players who were either way down on the Frenchman's list of targets or not on his list at all (Sebo in place of Elmander, Jose Karl Piere Fan-Fan et al).

A complete prick of a guy.
McLeish signed FanFan.

Useless at the role, annoying and attention craving, useless at the role and a waste of a salary

And totally useless at the role

It was like we chose a mentally challenged to do the job he was so shit at it.

Bain was rubbish for most of his tenure but latterly he was good and had huge concerns over Craig Whyte.

Had a couple of beers with him in Houston at the pool. Nice enough guy. Did have an air of extreme arrogance about him though.

Was listening to Athletico Mince a while back and they were talking about Sunderland till I Die and Bob Mortimer mentioned Bain and how smarmy he was and how he was everything that is wrong with football nowadays. It was interesting hearing this from someone with no axe to grind.

How he got a job in football after us is beyond me.

Not surprised it was at a basket case club like Sunderland though.

Watching Sunderland till I die and can see Martin Bain is heavily involved and heard in season two he has a cryotherapy chamber only he uses. I was a wee bit too young to know what he did around our club so can someone fill me in with some of his stupidity at rangers?
The guy was an arrogant prick, he person ally told the police to "turn the water cannons on" when there was a crush outside a stadium , I think it was Bratislava, so not only was it bad enough being crushed he wanted the rangers fans hit with water cannons !

He gave Arthur Numan a new deal then when it came to signing it there was a 75% wage cut tjst hadn't been agreed and be expected Numan to just sign it!

He hated Rangers fans and was all about himself , he loved himself in a narcissistic and dangerous way, he sold players on the cheap all the time , in fact, I believe the whole pay off culture at the club started with him.

His performance at the "Old Firm" summit, after McCoist was fighting with the tramp, sums this dick up. Letting Lawwell run the meeting and nodding like a wee fuckin dug in agreement. A fuckin embarrassment to our club.

yes, mentally challengeds would go that extra mile for rangers

According to Wikipedia but with no source... Bain did refuse to agree to the sale to Craig Whyte... and presented evidence to him that it was a bad idea.

Bain knew Murray was done and therefore he was done with any new owner. It's not as if he went to Murray and forewarned him Whyte was bad news.

As well as his policy of not employing Rangers fans in any influential roles in case they worked too hard and showed him up, he spent his entire working life playing politics to force out anyone who displayed signs of competence that might be regarded as a threat to his own position.

Grade A lady's front bottom of a human being universally loathed by anyone unfortunate enough to work with or for him.

There were literally no lengths he wouldn't go to, to ingratiate himself with Murray. Wherever he is now, his boss is one guy who won't be hoarding toilet roll whilst Bain still has a tongue.

Back