Martin O'Neill accuses the celtic fans of panicking

uneasydaz

MARTIN O'Neill has called recent social media criticism of Neil Lennon 'entirely unwarranted' and questioned whether it represents the majority of the opinion of Celtic fans.

The Northern Irishman - a key cog in O'Neill's successful Parkhead squad in the early noughties - has been responding amid increasing calls for the Celtic board to sack his former player after a off-colour start to the season.

While it is believed Lennon retains the support of the Parkhead boardroom, the Hoops have won just two of their last eight matches in all competitions as Rangers have racked up an early season lead in the Scottish Premiership.

Things haven't been much better in the European arena, where they were knocked out of Champions League qualifying contention by Ferencvaros then embarrassed at home by Sparta Prague.

Those two sides meet again in the Czech Republic tomorrow and O'Neill reckons that Lennon is being treated unfairly considering what he has achieved in his various spells at the club.

His comments which chime with an exclusive interview which the Northern Irishman did recently with the Scottish Sun.

O'Neill told the Daily Mail, the Herald and the Daily Record: "If I had walked back into Celtic Park for a second spell after a manager had just left and there was a Treble Treble at stake, if I had delivered it and then stood on the cusp of delivering another one and he is just one game away from that, I would be asking myself: 'Just where is this pressure coming from?'

"It is shocking.

The pressure he is under right now is entirely unwarranted for the success that Celtic have had and the part he has played in that.

"Anyone can head onto social media and stick up a poll.

"I can have 25 people all agree with me and the percentages would look fantastic but is some of the vitriol that has been put in his direction really reflective of the majority?'"

O'Neill believes that the 'panic' in some fans has been stirred by the thought of losing the chance to record a historic tenth title in a row.

He said: “This is the first time in years that there has been a proper threat from Rangers.

"You can’t always be on top all of the time. Rangers were never going to stay in the doldrums forever – no matter what Celtic did or didn’t so.

“At some point Rangers were always going to come out swinging and this is it.

"If this wasn’t a season that has so much at stake in terms of a tenth successive title I don’t think you would see this panic from the support.

"If this was a fourth title then I am sure they would be a bit more patience.

“Rangers have invested in the squad and they have backed their manager.

"In a way it is all good because this makes the league stronger.

"Now the challenge is for Celtic to show that they can cope with adversity. That they can cope with questions being asked of them and they can come out and show the same mentality that has made them the most successful side in the country for so long.”

“It is shocking”

:))

12736f808b8a2511036673fe93489ced.jpg

On the cusp of something extraordinary and they are all over the place. The mhedia wheeling out moron after moron to back their wee pal lennon up, the fans are foaming and frothing at the mouth at the mere prospect of a supposed dead club wresting a title from them when it wasn’t supposed to be that way, their board sitting back clueless and allowing their own fans to knock the fuck out of each other on and offline, all the while their biggest rivals are lording it over them in the title race. They just can’t take it.
The most horrible, ugly, disgusting, entitled and bigoted fans in the world, who just can’t accept that they can’t and won’t win everything for the next 100 years.

Long may this meltdown continue, because one thing is for certain, it wasn’t meant to happen this way.
Foot on the throat rangers, and don’t let up until they are begging for mercy.

I read a lot of their online replies to the article . Most saying their team is shite, O'Neill being paid to back the board and they're in trouble. Fairly reasonable replies.

Don't rule out O'Neill back at the Piggery if Lurgan Flopp loses even one more League game in the next few weeks.

The scum fans have brought this on themselves, driven by bigotry & hatred, and also lack of historical perspective.

When they won their last few titles since we got back up, it was never about ‘we won 6 in a row, brilliant’ etc.

They’ve sung that annoying song for years now, and ultimately disrespected every ‘achievement’ ( If you can call them that winning a one horse race ) by a clear intent that their 10IAR pursuit was all that mattered.

They have been wishing their shitey sad wee lives away.

NOW, The Rangers are back, we are fit, organised, committed & also playing cracking football, in a healthy work & development environment.

They can’t cope & are now destroying their own club.

Of course, similar hatred comes from Lawwell, and he has totally compromised his business approach, to get this target that is only of interest to their cult. This is the first time they’ve missed the CL Group stages that they haven’t made a big sale to ensure profitability for many years. So Lawwell can see ‘the ten’ with his ned support.

And they’ve fucked it. Edouard’s toys are out of the pram & the negativity & lethargy has filtered through their whole dressing room it seems.

Truly a club like no other.

The scum fans have brought this on themselves, driven by bigotry & hatred, and also lack of historical perspective.

When they won their last few titles since we got back up, it was never about ‘we won 6 in a row, brilliant’ etc.

They’ve sung that annoying song for years now, and ultimately disrespected every ‘achievement’ ( If you can call them that winning a one horse race ) by a clear intent that their 10IAR pursuit was all that mattered.

NOW, The Rangers are back, we are fit, organised, committed & also playing cracking football, in a healthy work & development environment.

Of course, similar hatred comes from Lawwell, and he has totally compromised his business approach, to get this target that is only of interest to their cult. This is the first time they’ve missed the CL Group stages that they haven’t made a big sale to ensure profitability for many years. So Lawwell can see ‘the ten’ with his ned support.

And they’ve fucked it. Edouard’s toys are out of the pram & the negativity & lethargy has filtered through their whole dressing room it seems.

Great post Grigo!!!

MARTIN O'Neill has called recent social media criticism of Neil Lennon 'entirely unwarranted' and questioned whether it represents the majority of the opinion of Celtic fans.

The Northern Irishman - a key cog in O'Neill's successful Parkhead squad in the early noughties - has been responding amid increasing calls for the Celtic board to sack his former player after a off-colour start to the season.

While it is believed Lennon retains the support of the Parkhead boardroom, the Hoops have won just two of their last eight matches in all competitions as Rangers have racked up an early season lead in the Scottish Premiership.

Things haven't been much better in the European arena, where they were knocked out of Champions League qualifying contention by Ferencvaros then embarrassed at home by Sparta Prague.

Those two sides meet again in the Czech Republic tomorrow and O'Neill reckons that Lennon is being treated unfairly considering what he has achieved in his various spells at the club.

His comments which chime with an exclusive interview which the Northern Irishman did recently with the Scottish Sun.

O'Neill told the Daily Mail, the Herald and the Daily Record: "If I had walked back into Celtic Park for a second spell after a manager had just left and there was a Treble Treble at stake, if I had delivered it and then stood on the cusp of delivering another one and he is just one game away from that, I would be asking myself: 'Just where is this pressure coming from?'

"It is shocking.

The pressure he is under right now is entirely unwarranted for the success that Celtic have had and the part he has played in that.

"Anyone can head onto social media and stick up a poll.

"I can have 25 people all agree with me and the percentages would look fantastic but is some of the vitriol that has been put in his direction really reflective of the majority?'"

O'Neill believes that the 'panic' in some fans has been stirred by the thought of losing the chance to record a historic tenth title in a row.

He said: “This is the first time in years that there has been a proper threat from Rangers.

"You can’t always be on top all of the time. Rangers were never going to stay in the doldrums forever – no matter what Celtic did or didn’t so.

“At some point Rangers were always going to come out swinging and this is it.

"If this wasn’t a season that has so much at stake in terms of a tenth successive title I don’t think you would see this panic from the support.

"If this was a fourth title then I am sure they would be a bit more patience.
“Rangers have invested in the squad and they have backed their manager.

"In a way it is all good because this makes the league stronger.

"Now the challenge is for Celtic to show that they can cope with adversity. That they can cope with questions being asked of them and they can come out and show the same mentality that has made them the most successful side in the country for so long.”
"Shocking" :)

• Haha
Reactions: fmp
Oneill as much of a scum bag as he is is absolutely spot on here.

1st sign of any real sustained pressure and they’ve all completely lost it.

the fans are acting like spoilt weans who would battling each other in the stands if it wasn’t for lock down.

Lennon is throwing his players under the bus on a weekly basis.

their players look as if they’ve thrown the towel in already.

by coming out like this Oneill looks like he’s ruling himself out of the opportunity to save the day.

Last edited:

Good lad G, spot on pal.

He’s right tbh, we’re 1 draw/loss away from our fans panicking

They’re essentially 5 points behind, that can be turned around in a few weeks. The reaction has been way over the top
Exactly we have done great and are maybe getting a little bit carried away, they have dropped 5 points more than us and are in complete meltdown. The reason for focusing in on the manager is that it avoids them facing the reality that they have overrated their own players and underrated ours.

O"neil is actually correct and I was going to post similar yesterday.

The arrogance of this mob to think they should rule the roost forever is something else.

No team ever does, that's the way football works. You can go through years of total dominance and one day it will come to an end. If it didnt work that way, football as a spectator sport would be dead.

The difference with this current team is they have had a free run for many of these titles, where the only odds you would get are who would finish 2nd.

Back