Martin O'Neill wants the away fans allocation restored at Ibrox and Parkhead

ItsInTheNet

MARTIN O'NEILL has pleaded with Celtic and Rangers to bring back proper away crowds in Old Firm fixtures for next season.

The former Hoops gaffer believes the derby is a game unlike any other in the world.

However, the Northern Irishman admits the crunch match does not feel the same with limited away supporters for the games - which has been the case for two seasons prior to this year's Covid shutout.

Of course the highly-anticipated derbies haven't been the same in the 20/21 season due to having no fans in grounds at all in line with the Government's coronavirus restrictions.

The 63-year-old now wants to see the pair bury their hatchet over the situation ahead of the new campaign and agree to restore sizable away allocations.

Speaking to the Press Box podcast: "That WB Yeats quote about 'a terrible beauty is born' I think sums up the fixture.

"There is nothing like Celtic v Rangers with a full stadium. There is something there that other derby games just don't have.

"I think of the Manchester derby, which I've played in, or Liverpool-Everton, or Liverpool-Manchester United, and I still don't think there is anything to compare with the Old Firm.

"I was up at the game recently at Celtic Park behind closed doors and there was obviously no atmosphere because of the pandemic.

"I'm hoping that, when the fans do come back to football, that Celtic and Rangers can agree that they can have their quota of [away] fans back again.

"When I was there, and you went to Ibrox, you felt you had some company, that you weren't alone when you saw the Celtic fans. And I'm sure Rangers felt exactly the same when they could fill one end of Celtic Park.

"There is the cauldron of it, there is religion in there, you can throw everything into the mix. You can use all sorts of adjectives to describe these games but there is something magical about them.

"There is an intensity that just does not exist anywhere else."

It won’t happen but if it did it’s only fair we get the same percentage allocation as they get for Ibrox. We used to get the full stand behind their goal. My first game at the pigsty was the 3-1 win at New Year in 1992. Since they redeveloped their stadium they cut our allocation and stuffed us in the corner while they retained their same allocation for Ibrox.

To be fair it's not the same with only a few hundred away fans on either side, before people start getting upset at this post that's just my opinion.

800 fans is fu.cking shit but I’d also not support it reverting to 8,000 again

2,500 each would be ideal but it won’t happen

Back