Martin Samuel

Anthony Ralston is an 18-year-old right back with 14 Celtic appearances to his name. This week he faced Neymar, one of the finest footballers in the world, and certainly the most expensive.

Time for humility, one might think. Time to drink it all in, to accelerate the learning process.

No — not in this age of entitlement. Despite losing 5-0, Ralston was full of it after the game. ‘I don’t fear the likes of Neymar…I had to play my normal game…I won’t lose any sleep over it…he’s just another man on the pitch…I don’t put him on a pedestal…’

The arrogance was astonishing. If Ralston matures with one 10th of Neymar’s talent he will have a fine career. Here was an opportunity to acquire knowledge, to be tested against one of the greats.

Ralston was too busy preening, his team having been swept aside, to pay much attention. He asked for Neymar’s shirt at the end but was rebuffed. Maybe one day Ralston’s shirt will be in demand among the elite of European football. Until then, he might consider winding it in.

By the way, after a fan ran on to the pitch and tried to kick Paris Saint-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe — the oaf missed, providing a neat metaphor for the gulf in class — Celtic have again been cited by UEFA. This is their 15th citing in 10 years. Imagine how many they would have racked up if they didn’t keep getting knocked out at the group stage.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-kids-games-not-elite-club.html#ixzz4sjvQmtB4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Anthony Ralston is an 18-year-old right back with 14 Celtic appearances to his name. This week he faced Neymar, one of the finest footballers in the world, and certainly the most expensive.

Time for humility, one might think. Time to drink it all in, to accelerate the learning process.

No — not in this age of entitlement. Despite losing 5-0, Ralston was full of it after the game. ‘I don’t fear the likes of Neymar…I had to play my normal game…I won’t lose any sleep over it…he’s just another man on the pitch…I don’t put him on a pedestal…’

The arrogance was astonishing. If Ralston matures with one 10th of Neymar’s talent he will have a fine career. Here was an opportunity to acquire knowledge, to be tested against one of the greats.

Ralston was too busy preening, his team having been swept aside, to pay much attention. He asked for Neymar’s shirt at the end but was rebuffed. Maybe one day Ralston’s shirt will be in demand among the elite of European football. Until then, he might consider winding it in.

By the way, after a fan ran on to the pitch and tried to kick Paris Saint-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe — the oaf missed, providing a neat metaphor for the gulf in class — Celtic have again been cited by UEFA. This is their 15th citing in 10 years. Imagine how many they would have racked up if they didn’t keep getting knocked out at the group stage.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-kids-games-not-elite-club.html#ixzz4sjvQmtB4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Cheers mate.

So much arrogance, so little class

Not one media person in Scotland would write anything like that. Does not miss Ralston.

Sadly the first bit of negative press regarding the yahoos has to come from an English based journalist.

I heard a bit of that interview and did think exactly as the journalist as written.
Well, perhaps Martin is being a bit more polite than what I was saying to myself.
An incredible rant from an eighteen year old, done nothing, nobody.

"This is their 15th citing in 10 years. Imagine how many they would have racked up if they didn’t keep getting knocked out at the group stage." ..... Brilliant

Thing is it's not a controversial article or a one sided view of events.... The whole cabal attached to that club is rancid!

Good article. Shame the media up here are such pathetic lickspittles

How very true.
It is quite unbelievable.
It seems that every football journalist in the country has the same opinion, and lack of an opinion, on nearly every topic involving septic.
They'll have differing views on probably everything else but, when it comes to septic, it's always the same.
Bizarre.
On a post last week I called it a cartel, but, its worse than that.
The truth is that it's sickening that some of these guys can't/won't give their own opinion but put out what they're told to put out, told what their opinion will be.

Samuel doesn't usually miss the target. Here is a rugby-related article re comments from a few years ago in which he remarks on Andrew Trimble's comments about playing England -

Careful Andrew, there are skeletons in Ireland's closet too
After a week of Irish glory and glorification at Cheltenham and two very jolly days in Dublin to follow, many Englishmen would have felt the bond between our countries had become rather civilised these days.

So it came as something of a surprise to pick up the newspapers on Monday and discover what really inspired Ireland's Six Nations victory over England at the Aviva Stadium: hatred.

Andrew Trimble, the Ireland wing, let this slip, describing a rallying call from lock and most recent Lions captain Paul O'Connell prior to the game. 'I always love listening to him during England week,' Trimble said.

Irish eyes are smiling: Andrew Trimble (right) celebrates with Ronan O'Gara after beating England
'We wanted to get everything right technically, but we also wanted to use our physicality, our intensity, just a real hatred. We never get sick of beating England; that is why we enjoyed the win so much. There's a lot of history there.'

Indeed there is. Like the European Union's £73.7billion bailout for the failing Irish economy last November, that could end up costing British taxpayers in the region of £6.07bn.

Not many songs about that on Saturday, though, just the usual one about prison ships, prison walls and a terrible famine that took place 160 years ago yet is still thrown in the face of every visitor in an England shirt, as if it was cooked up in the Harlequins dressing room last Tuesday.

Maybe next time Martin Johnson visits he could give a rousing and equally relevant speech before the game based on vengeance for all the little kiddies abused by Ireland's paedophile priests.
Or is it only the English who have entries in the history books of which their modern descendants might be ashamed?

Dear me. Standards are slipping indeed !!!

All these posts and no one has said

BOOOM Headshot!

Good article, certainly nailed the wee prick for what he is. The papers up here were saying Everton want him! Good to see him call out their scum fans as well.

For some reason I opened the thread thinking it was about this guy... but no that was Walter o_O

Walter_Samuel_FC_Internazionale.jpg

A refreshing read. Nice to see someone willing to put themselves out there and write the truth about Them for a change rather than pucker up and toe the party line like most of the Scottish 'journalists'.

I also agree with his point on Ralston - I said the other night on here his celebrating after a pretty bad tackle on Motta was one of the more embarrassing things I've seen at that level and his goading of Neymar was similarly cringeworthy. He's a ned who will be playing for Hibs in a couple of years.

Bullseye hit the target. No Scottish journalist ( no laughing at the back) would dare to write this i . e . The truth

Clearly not on the mentally challenged payroll.

He'll need this shortly: -

CR Smith - 0800 200 444

Samuel doesn't usually miss the target. Here is a rugby-related article re comments from a few years ago in which he remarks on Andrew Trimble's comments about playing England -

Careful Andrew, there are skeletons in Ireland's closet too
After a week of Irish glory and glorification at Cheltenham and two very jolly days in Dublin to follow, many Englishmen would have felt the bond between our countries had become rather civilised these days.

So it came as something of a surprise to pick up the newspapers on Monday and discover what really inspired Ireland's Six Nations victory over England at the Aviva Stadium: hatred.

Andrew Trimble, the Ireland wing, let this slip, describing a rallying call from lock and most recent Lions captain Paul O'Connell prior to the game. 'I always love listening to him during England week,' Trimble said.

Irish eyes are smiling: Andrew Trimble (right) celebrates with Ronan O'Gara after beating England
'We wanted to get everything right technically, but we also wanted to use our physicality, our intensity, just a real hatred. We never get sick of beating England; that is why we enjoyed the win so much. There's a lot of history there.'

Indeed there is. Like the European Union's £73.7billion bailout for the failing Irish economy last November, that could end up costing British taxpayers in the region of £6.07bn.

Not many songs about that on Saturday, though, just the usual one about prison ships, prison walls and a terrible famine that took place 160 years ago yet is still thrown in the face of every visitor in an England shirt, as if it was cooked up in the Harlequins dressing room last Tuesday.

Maybe next time Martin Johnson visits he could give a rousing and equally relevant speech before the game based on vengeance for all the little kiddies abused by Ireland's paedophile priests.
Or is it only the English who have entries in the history books of which their modern descendants might be ashamed?
OOFT That would have gone down well with BBC Scotland sports correspondent ??? Tom English .
Quite a number of home truths there including the bailout of the Irish economy and to think that at one time Salmond held the so called Celtic tiger up as a shining example of what an independent Scotland could be

Meantime the Scottish edition of the paper has no mention of that. As per usual, Stephen McGowan has a page article about the positives Ralston got from the game and a new name to me in the Mail, Kate McGreavy (with a name like that I suspect she's yet another Celtic fan writing for the Mail)) has a piece about another blossoming talent, Calvin Miller who will be the next multi-million star emerging from that den of iniquity.

Compare and contrast to the putrid dog shite that the Scottish mhedia pumps out on an hourly basis.

Along with the Scum they openly support and overhype, they are fucking disgraceful.

Both articles posted above are spot on and straight to the point. Trouble is that there aren't any journalists up here who would dare write either of the articles as they would likely be subject to all sorts of abuse and accusations of bigotry and racism. Martin Samuel is a regular on the Sunday Supplement on Sky Sports and always comes across well and someone who isn't afraid to say what he thinks.

"Imagine how many they would have racked up if they didn’t keep getting knocked out at the group stage."

Says it all really!

"Imagine how many they would have racked up if they didn’t keep getting knocked out at the group stage."

As we say on FF "Boom- Headshot"

He has a great article in today's Mail.
Having a right go at Ralston and the mentally challengeds behaviour in Europe.Hopefully someone will paste on here.

Any articles which are either negative "them" or positive about The Rangers we should give the writer/paper the hits.

Might, just might, encourage the so called journalist to re think - maybe not:)

The hoardes will be claiming this as anti Celtic when in actual fact it's cold hard reality.

Refreshing to see not all media have an agenda.

Bang on the money that article.
Find it funny he says he just played his normal game,well if that's the case he must be pish conceding 5

I've long thought that Martin Samuel is the best sports journalist in the country, one of the few actually worth reading regularly. His list of "Sportswriter of the Year" awards is quite impressive, and well deserved in my opinion.

I don't agree with everything he writes, but he tends to stake out a position and then back it up with logical and/or statistical arguments. His stuff is far superior to the pallid fluff pieces you get on The Guardian etc.

Obviously I think he's got this one spot on.

I await some negative story about english based sports journalists commenting on scottish football and in particular singling out a young player for criticism

Back