Martin Tyler, no friend of Rangers or now Liverpool

He's backtracked on his Liverpool comment now.
Thought for years that he was a bit of an arrogant dinosaur of a commentator.
I wasn't aware of his comment about us tbh.
Time to retire indeed,if he isn't forced to soon!.

I remember Tyler doing old firm games back in the day and he was decent. He's now a dinosaur and should retire.

What did he say about Hillsborough?

That could be the comment that sees the doty old twat finally put out to pasture

He previously said we are a new club and his hooligan comment in an interview today referencing Hillsborough means he's hated in Liverpool.

Time to retire Martin!
I remember him saying that, was it man city at the piggery? He knew exactly what he was saying about the Liverpool fans.

I heard him on R4 this morning. It was something along the lines of "Hillsborough and other hooligan issues"
Yeah, I've just read it there mate. Without hearing it and reading how he's said it I get the impression he meant they were separate issues. But I can see why Liverpool fans would see it differently.

He’s a boring commentator but his comments today were innocuous, albeit badly-phrased.

His quote: ‘You’ve got to to remember football was in a crisis at the time, we weren’t that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan related issues as well’

‘X and other (…) issues as well’ = he thinks hooliganism is a different issue to Hillsborough.

He’s a shite commentator but he’s innocent here IMO.

He’s a boring commentator but his comments today were innocuous, albeit badly-phrased.

His quote: ‘You’ve got to to remember football was in a crisis at the time, we weren’t that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan related issues as well’

‘X and other (…) issues as well’ = he thinks hooliganism is a different issue to Hillsborough.

To me that is insinuating Hillsborough WAS a hooligan related issue, not that it's different.

Exactly. People just choking for a chance to stick the boot in.

The use of the word "other" certainly leaves him open to the interpretation that Hillsborough was one hooligan issue but there were others tbh. It's clumsy at best and downright ridiculous at worst.

Should've been sacked after his De Bruyne, De Gea, De Erby comment.

Don’t like him, his comments about us were a disgrace to be fair, that said, I don’t think he would have purposely offended with the Hillsborough comments.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...-tyler-shares-his-favourite-memories-of-Ibrox

Found this when looking for his comments on us referenced throughout the thread

To me that is insinuating Hillsborough WAS a hooligan related issue, not that it's different.
The use of the word "other" certainly leaves him open to the interpretation that Hillsborough was one hooligan issue but there were others tbh. It's clumsy at best and downright ridiculous at worst.
To me adding ‘as well’ at the end clearly shows that he meant Hillsborough and hooliganism were two separate issues affecting football in the pre-EPL era.

If he had said: ‘You’ve got to to remember football was in a crisis at the time, we weren’t that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan related issues’ then I’d agree that he was linking Hillsborough to fan violence but saying: ‘…and other hooligan related issues as well’ clearly marks a separate comparison.

On a related note I just wish Rangers fans were as reactionary as Liverpool fans when it came to picking up on misinformation about the Ibrox disaster. The Guardian printed an article by someone called John Hodgman which not only contains all sorts of irrelevant rubbish about religion, he also repeats the canard that the crush was caused by fans rushing back after Rangers equalised.

Back