Martindale interview.

Everyone makes mistakes, everyone is entitled to a second chance. You can be a ‘good guy’ and have some nasty shit in your past
Good guy now but bad guy then.
Not for me, it wasnt a spur of the moment thing.
He caused misery to endless people as well as ripping HMRC off.
Its a pity normal people who go out and work all of there lives and give no trouble to society dont get any second thought.
How much tax payers money did it also cost to put him through the courts, police and housing him in the clink.
The problem with drug dealers is , you cannot see first hand the misery they cause, unlike say a drunk driver that kills someone.

Its a pity normal people who go out and work all of there lives and give no trouble to society dont get any second thought.
How much tax payers money did it also cost to put him through the courts, police and housing him in the clink.
The problem with drug dealers is , you cannot see first hand the misery they cause, unlike say a drunk driver that kills someone.

He made a horrible mistake and has paid his dues to society. You may disagree and thats fine but he deserves this second chance for me.

Agreed, he’s a lady's front bottom.
I meant Cnut.

Is drugs any worse than alcohol as far as the impact on lives. Or is it more acceptable for the reason that big corporations and taxes benefit.

Not justifying his bahviour dealing but there's plenty other blind eyes turned when it suits.

What you're saying is fair enough. But he's did his time, paid his debt to society as they say. And I can guarantee what he bumped HMRC doesn't even come close to what millionaires and billionaires bump HMRC out of. The drug dealing isn't good and no way to defend that. I see first hand on a daily basis the effect of drugs and alcohol because of my job and because of the area I live in. And some of the people with drug and drink problems you would never guess.

He made a horrible mistake and has paid his dues to society. You may disagree and thats fine but he deserves this second chance for me.
You make it sound like he accidentally committed a crime lol.

He was dealing drugs. He knew what he was doing ffs. I say this as someone who knows plenty drug dealers.

His only mistake was getting caught.

You make it sound like he accidentally committed a crime lol.

He was dealing drugs. He knew what he was doing ffs. I say this as someone who knows plenty drug dealers.

His only mistake was getting caught.

A mistake is still a mistake. Sure his went on for years but a mistake none the less. My point still stands he deserves the right to live his life and earn a living.

I quite like the guy from what I’ve seen but come on he didn’t make” one horrible mistake “ ffs . Call it what it is he systematically dealt illegal drugs to make money from other peoples misery .He was caught paid the price and he’s been fortunate enough to be given another chance .

A mistake is still a mistake. Sure his went on for years but a mistake none the less. My point still stands he deserves the right to live his life and earn a living.
I dont disagree that he deserves a chance but to say it was a mistake is laughable. He knew what he was doing. Its not something that happens accidentally or whatever.

Would it still be a mistake if he sold drugs to your family and they died as a result? Very much doubt your opinion would still be the same in that case.

I dont disagree that he deserves a chance but to say it was a mistake is laughable. He knew what he was doing. Its not something that happens accidentally or whatever.

Would it still be a mistake if he sold drugs to your family and they died as a result? Very much doubt your opinion would still be the same in that case.

He was a criminal, he served his time now he isn’t. Ok perhaps mistake is massively underplaying it but my point still stands leave the man to move on with his life.

He's not a normal person, he's a top flight football manager. Pretty sure he started as a volunteer coach at Livi and worked his way up over a long period of time. He's wasn't handed three manager's job as part of a rehabilitation program. He's earned that chance by working hard (let's be honest, probably even harder than if he were 'normal', whatever that means).

I really like martindale but we need crowds back asap to drown out his constant screeching shouts from the sidelines. It's like nails down a blackboard.

It bothers me not, to accept that he's done his time,
I suspect, though, he'd still be doing it if he hadn't been caught. I suspect, also, if he'd said it's our first title, Morelos is a diving cheat and it was never a penalty, there would be a lot less forgiveness on here.
Drug dealing is a means to an end, self enrichment, with no regard to the consequences for his victims. It's a couldn't give a fuck mindset, callous, selfish, self centred.
I'd question if he's changed at all. To a much less damaging extent he still has the same mindset, but this time smiling at you while he's doing it.
Expediency reigns supreme. Tricking up the pitch to make it dangerous and almost unplayable, sending his team out fouling, shirt pulling, rugby tackling, timewasting.
The very same couldn't give a fuck approach, not for football, not for the people watching it worldwide on live TV, not for the wellbeing of the players, this time with a few wee added jokes.
Where have we seen that attitude before?
I'm at the "tolerate him because we have to" stage, but I won't be sticking my tongue up his arse because he said "it was a penalty"
He's entitled to his rehabilitation, when it happens.

Last edited:
I suspect, though, he'd still be doing it if he hadn't been caught. I suspect, also, if he'd said it's our first title, Morelos is a diving cheat and it was never a penalty, there would be a lot less forgiveness on here.
Drug dealing is a means to an end, self enrichment, with no regard to the consequences for his victims. It's a couldn't give a fuck mindset, callous, selfish, self centred.
I'd question if he's changed at all. To a much less damaging extent he still has the same mindset, but this time smiling at you while he's doing it.
Expediency reigns supreme. Tricking up the pitch to make it dangerous and almost unplayable, sending his team out fouling, shirt pulling, rugby tackling, timewasting.
The very same couldn't give a fuck approach, not for football, not for the people watching it worldwide on live TV, not for the wellbeing for the players, this time with a few wee added jokes.
I'm at the "tolerate him because we have to" stage, but I won't be sticking my tongue up his arse because he said "it was a penalty"
So does Souness narrowing the pitch against Kiev give him the mindset of a drug dealer? Everything else you said I think is valid, but the comparison between gaining a competitive advantage in sport and selling gear is a bizarre take.

The very same couldn't give a fuck approach, not for football, not for the people watching it worldwide on live TV, not for the wellbeing for the players, this time with a few wee added jokes.
Because he has indulged in a bit of gamesmanship, within the rules I might add, to try and give his team an advantage then that means he still has the mindset of a drug dealer??

Sorry but that’s just utter nonsense.

Some of the opinions on here are making me pish myself laughing.

Seems some people of FollowFollow think if ye commit a crime you should be in jail for the end of your days and not be allowed rehabilitation.

Like feckin communist Russia, maniacs.

So does Souness narrowing the pitch against Kiev give him the mindset of a drug dealer? Everything else you said I think is valid, but the comparison between gaining a competitive advantage in sport and selling gear is a bizarre take.
No, he may have, I don't know, The difference is Souness wasn't rehabilitating himself from a drug dealing conviction and telling anyone who listens that he's a reformed character.
I'd go with Martindales actions rather than his rhetoric.

He's not a normal person, he's a top flight football manager. Pretty sure he started as a volunteer coach at Livi and worked his way up over a long period of time. He's wasn't handed three manager's job as part of a rehabilitation program. He's earned that chance by working hard (let's be honest, probably even harder than if he were 'normal', whatever that means).
A volunteer coach who, allegedly, used Livi to buy his redemption.

No, he may have, I don't know, The difference is Souness wasn't rehabilitating himself from a drug dealing conviction and telling anyone who listens that he's a reformed character.
I'd go with Martindales actions rather than his rhetoric.

An overwhelming amount of people who go to Prison don’t change their lifestyle.

When Martindale went to prison he worked towards a HND in construction, and then when he was out done volunteer work.

It’s almost like you want the guy not be normal again and would prefer him to be a criminal, utter freak of a person that you are.

Because he has indulged in a bit of gamesmanship, within the rules I might add, to try and give his team an advantage then that means he still has the mindset of a drug dealer??

Sorry but that’s just utter nonsense.
"Bit of gamesmanship"
I think your understating what we watched on Wednesday night. A sticky pitch could have caused serious injury, and it was kept that way deliberately. My point was, he did that with no regard to player safety, none whatever.
Gamesmanship is one thing, just a fact of life, but it takes more than gamesmanship to put players out on a tricked up pitch, even his own players, in the knowledge of the possible consequences and being ruthless enough to do it.

"Bit of gamesmanship"
I think your understating what we watched on Wednesday night. A sticky pitch could have caused serious injury, and it was kept that way deliberately. My point was, he did that with no regard to player safety, none whatever.
Gamesmanship is one thing, just a fact of life, but it takes more than gamesmanship to put players out on a tricked up pitch, even his own players, in the knowledge of the possible consequences and being ruthless enough to do it.
The pitch at Ibrox is every bit as dangerous.

I can see your point up to a degree.
You use the example of a drunk driver which in the context is a tad ironic.
Does the person who supplied the drug to the drunk driver get to see the misery of his actions?

I know the law is the law, but nonetheless it throws up some damnable contradictions for society.
By the way I like a drink.
No one forces me to take one.
Why is it so different for other drugs?
The truth is if course, it isn't.

Bit different from getting hit by a drunk driver where the victim can't do anything about it.

Has this not been done to death?

Do you think acting like a moral crusader to strangers on the internet is impressive?

It’s boring.

An overwhelming amount of people who go to Prison don’t change their lifestyle.

When Martindale went to prison he worked towards a HND in construction, and then when he was out done volunteer work.

It’s almost like you want the guy not be normal again and would prefer him to be a criminal, utter freak of a person that you are.
Now you're putting words in a freaks mouth. Never said anything of the sort or anything like it.

If he was a scumbag and not reformed. He's hardly gonny shout it from the roof tops. Easy to spin a big sob story about being a changed man..plenty of cons have done that and it's been lies. I reserve my judgement as i don't think you could really tell unless i knew the guy.

Donnelly, of Wallacewell Crescent, Glasgow, previously held a Scottish record for the largest confiscation order after 270,000 in assets were seized by authorities when he was jailed for trafficking heroin in 1996.

Martindale, a former publican, acted as Donnelly's lieutenant.
The judge told him: "You carried out the role of No 2 or right-hand man to Donnelly with a more direct or hands-on role in the operation such as meeting couriers or checking on arrangements."

But you dont agree that any Loyalist foot soldiers who did time for thier countries cause should get a second chance? Probably not a discussion for on here just saying....

The pitch at Ibrox is every bit as dangerous.
Possibly, but the point is, it has not been tricked up by us, to make it so,
It's one thing to narrow or widen the pitch, that doesn't alter the surface.
What Martindale did was a calculated and reckless act without any regard to player safety. Couldn't care less.

He’s the current media darling (Goodwin might be jealous) who has won a few games and got to a cup-final and it’s a good story for tomorrow’s chip supper wrappers.
He has been offered redemption and on the face of it, he’s rehabilitated which is the aim of any civilised society, but football is a results driven business and if he
gets the sack, that will be a huge challenge for him.
Wouldn’t say it’s his drug dealer mindset that makes him an advocate of brutal percentage football, it seems that’s what it takes outside of a few SPFL teams to survive.

What Martindale did was a calculated and reckless act without any regard to player safety. Couldn't care less.
He is far from alone, Steve Clarke did the same at Rugby Park and id hazard a guess others with crap pitches do likewise.

Better Inform the SFA the national team boss has the mindset of a convicted drug dealer!!

Honestly mate, what a mental way to look at things.

Is that any different to a team watering the pitch to make it more conducive to how they want to play it? The suggestion it was 'reckless' or with no regard to safety is hysterical nonsense. Whatever you might think about plastic pitches, not putting some water into it 10 mins before a game hardly makes it a death trap.

He is far from alone, Steve Clarke did the same at Rugby Park and id hazard a guess others with crap pitches do likewise.

Better Inform the SFA the national team boss has the mindset of a convicted drug dealer!!

Honestly mate, what a mental way to look at things.
Come off it!
Someone else did it, so it's OK?

The very same couldn't give a fuck approach, not for football, not for the people watching it worldwide on live TV, not for the wellbeing of the players, this time with a few wee added jokes.
Drug dealing is a crime.
The law tells us so and thus it is.
Those who are drawn to it are criminals.
The lure is easy money and the qualification is greed.
However it is a crime constructed by the State and it is due to the vacuum created by the State's irresponsibility towards the matter of drugs.
The use of drugs is an industry that was always in place it was not put there by drug dealers but by users.

Amidst the above is an array of nuanced matters worthy of debate but the bottom line is that we need to address this problem differently because the laws don't and can't fit the social reality.

Is that any different to a team watering the pitch to make it more conducive to how they want to play it? The suggestion it was 'reckless' or with no regard to safety is hysterical nonsense. Whatever you might think about plastic pitches, not putting some water into it 10 mins before a game hardly makes it a death trap.
Don't think I said "death trap", not that hysterical - yet.
It's a lot different to watering a pitch. Players get injured, Not watering the pitch to give an advantage by limiting our play, is one thing, but doing it in the knowledge that the pitch remains sticky and more likely to cause injury, is quite another.
My original point as to his mindset still stands.
He had options, he could have said, it's too dangerous we're not going to do that, but he chose the couldn't care less attitude.

Come off it!
Someone else did it, so it's OK?
It’s gamesmanship, nothing more, nothing less.
It was hysterical nonsense to suggest it was due to his mindset in his previous life was the reason. Loads of managers look for any small advantage and push the boundaries of what’s acceptable.

Back