Martinez leaving Belgium

I always wondered why the Belgian FA didn't splash the cash on a top manager. Maybe like the SFA, they can't afford a top coach.

Roberto Martínez must be up there with the biggest frauds of a manager. Those players year after year failing to do anything! There are loads obviously but he’s near the top for me!
You couldn’t be more right sir, watched his Everton team for a couple of seasons.
He’s clueless and could never react to what the opposition were doing. Same crap every week no matter the opposition or availability of players.

They were excellent at 2018 World Cup.
Beat Brazil and lost to France in a 50/50 match in the Semis. Just a bit of luck and it would have been their year.

Felt like it was going a bit stale for them at the Euros last year and Martinez should probably have moved on then.

Last edited:
His reputation lives off the back of his FA cup win... during a season in which he also successfully navigated wigan to relegation

Certainly a strange appointment to begin with. Yes he won the FA cup, but he also got that team relegated and look where Wigan went from there. Possibly misremembering, but I recall him receiving a lot of plaudits for refusing to change his tactics in the face of a relegation fight.
Did nothing at Everton and was then handed one of Europe’s most promising international squads, there was even rumours of him taking over Barca at one point. Complete dud.

You can say all you like about him and I’m no fan….but if he was shit the players would have outed him years ago.

Like it or not he is the most successful English manager since Sir Alf. I get he is boring and teams can play some pretty boring football. But he is best tournament manager they've had since 66.
England has a lot of talented young players a better manager could get them winning tournaments Southgate will not.
If I supported England or was English I would want the best manager I could get to manage them no one can honestly say that is Southgate.

England has a lot of talented young players a better manager could get them winning tournaments Southgate will not.
If I supported England or was English I would want the best manager I could get to manage them no one can honestly say that is Southgate.
With that midfield? Being protected by that defence?

Nah, a "better manager" would try to get them playing expansive football and getting them roasted on the regular by better teams.

With that midfield? Being protected by that defence?

Nah, a "better manager" would try to get them playing expansive football and getting them roasted on the regular by better teams.
We will never know I guess it's all just opinions but I always think if you get someone in with a history of winning you have a better chance.
Personally, I don't want England to win but I think they have a very talented group of players.

He's Belgium's most successful manager with the team number 1 in the rankings for 3 years.

Last 2 major tournaments before Qatar they were beaten by the tournament winners both times.

Last World Cup they finished best ever position in 3rd place.

If thats not enough look at his qualifying record; 2018 WC qualifying he dropped 2 points, 2020 Euros qualifying he dropped zero points, 2022 WC 4 points was dropped with 2 drawn matches..so in 3 qualifications he didn't lose one game!

Martinez may not be FFs favourite manager but he's hardly the diddy that some make him out to be!

He’s done alright for himself considering the jobs he’s held and the relative lack of success he’s had.

A complete and utter fraud. Talked as if he was the most intelligent manager football ever had. Indulged by the media, particularly those English newspapers with football journalists who think they are a class apart. Promised much. Never delivered.

They've had a similar level of player for years. The supposed golden generation got top managers in. Didn't do anywhere near as well as man currently in the role

Belgian's have been hopeless & rightly so he's left. Wee Shaun in to replace him?

I have just never bought into the whole Belgium thing. They do have some excelkent individual players. Like the English golden generation though, those players play better at club level with other better players of differing nationalities. Kdb is better at city. Lukaku at any of his clubs and so on.

Don't rate Martinez either , but don't think it is all on him

I think this idea of Belgium having a golden generation is a bit over-stated.

England also had a golden generation and won nothing but Belgium is nowhere near the level of Europe's big five never mind the South Americans.

Belgium have done well for a country its size.

So having a team full of world class players isn't a golden generation?

Regardless of their size they shouldn't be getting dumped out in the groups with the talent they have.

So having a team full of world class players isn't a golden generation?

Regardless of their size they shouldn't be getting dumped out in the groups with the talent they have.
Even at their peak they did not have 'a team full of world class players.'

Can you name this team full of world class players?

Even at their peak they did not have 'a team full of world class players.'

Can you name this team full of world class players?

The peaked at the last world cup probably. That term clearly doesn't mean every player is world class.

Courtois, Kompany, De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku were world class.

5 out of your starting 11 being world class is a golden generation.

Then you've got Vermaelen, Vertonghan, Mertens, Dembele etc.

He should've been sacked for picking Lukaku who was unfit and nowhere near match sharp, there must have been better options than a half fit player.

Germany about to get papped out the Wc, Italy not even qualified, but England no where near them.
Ok
If we’re taking one tournament in isolation yeah, you’re right. But England have made two finals. One of which was was nearly 60 years ago. The rest have won multiple World Cups and European Championships. As Belgium have shown, it’s one thing to have a good squad, but to be considered one of the truly great footballing nations, you have to go and earn that status .

Couldn't believe it when he got that job.

Martinez, Maloney and Henry must be the most random management team ever!

Never rated the guy as a manager

Belgium have great players so he has under performed so no surprise he’s been sacked

Martinez was well out of his depth as manager of Belgium and was elevated to this position well beyond his level of ability. Wigan Athletic was his level I’m afraid just ask the Everton fans!

If we’re taking one tournament in isolation yeah, you’re right. But England have made two finals. One of which was was nearly 60 years ago. The rest have won multiple World Cups and European Championships. As Belgium have shown, it’s one thing to have a good squad, but to be considered one of the truly great footballing nations, you have to go and earn that status .
Aye, just meant in the here and now or this generation.
Spain. They had not do e much until that great team from 08 to 12.
Overall, only euro powerhouse are Germany and Italy who have done it many times over many years.

The peaked at the last world cup probably. That term clearly doesn't mean every player is world class.

Courtois, Kompany, De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaku were world class.

5 out of your starting 11 being world class is a golden generation.

Then you've got Vermaelen, Vertonghan, Mertens, Dembele etc.
They were a good team for sure but probably burdened with over-expectation.

Scotland had a good team in 1978 and Ally McLeod was ridiculed for expecting a 'medal' (top three) which is comparable to Belgium's achievement.

Neither were ever potential winners.

Belgium’s best chance was 2016, but they bottled it v Wales in the QF.

They had the spine of a great team, but little depth. Carassco, Munier and Witsel are not really guys for when the chips are down.

Defence got too old, and unless they get some fresh blood it will be back to their 2002 - 2014 obscurity.

Back