Martinez leaving Belgium

Overrated manager. I don't even know why he was hired in the first place. It's not like he had a solid record either!

Heard on the radio last night that Belgium can only pay £1m-£2m for a manager including bonus’. So it probably makes a bit more sense on why he was their manager for so long

He's Belgium's most successful manager with the team number 1 in the rankings for 3 years.

Last 2 major tournaments before Qatar they were beaten by the tournament winners both times.

Last World Cup they finished best ever position in 3rd place.

If thats not enough look at his qualifying record; 2018 WC qualifying he dropped 2 points, 2020 Euros qualifying he dropped zero points, 2022 WC 4 points was dropped with 2 drawn matches..so in 3 qualifications he didn't lose one game!

Martinez may not be FFs favourite manager but he's hardly the diddy that some make him out to be!

He has had what most would consider their most gifted squad, ever, by a long, long, long distance of course he is their most successful manager. He was employed by them to be that and more

At the core of the squad has been a small group of players who have been seen as some of the better options in their positions in Courtios, De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaka, he has had this at a time when other more favored nations have went through slightly fallow periods by their usual standards.

A decent example of that is one of the last tournament winners who knocked them out, Italy, a nation currently so strong they didn't even qualify for this World Cup. The Italy side who won the Euros is far removed from being a great side.

Points totals in groups to qualify?

In 2018 the next best sides in their group were Greece and Bosnia, in 2022 it was Wales.

When they qualified for Euro 2020 the only close to competent side they faced was Russia, the rest of their group was made up of Scotland, Cyprus, Kazakhstan and San Marino.

Of course they amassed a lot of points against these sides, a want to praise him for taking that side to massive points totals against these teams isn't overly removed from McCoist wanting praise for his work in the lower divisions at Rangers - he took the best side by a massive distance, to the highest points totals, well done.

Martinez was employed to take that side over the top, to do something special, amazing, and they have never under him looked close to it, they have generally just fizzled out stumbled about and never looked like a side you would genuinely think were winning a tournament.

He has failed with that group of players when considering what International football looks like

I think this idea of Belgium having a golden generation is a bit over-stated.

England also had a golden generation and won nothing but Belgium is nowhere near the level of Europe's big five never mind the South Americans.

Belgium have done well for a country its size.

See the actual state of the Brazil team they beat in 2018?

It was pretty far removed from a squad drenched in absolute World Class talent

South Americans? In recent years? really?

The current Argentina squad?

Europes Big 5? one of them can't even qualify for the World Cup

Belgium have had a depth of side in recent years far, far removed from most South American sides, and I would include Argentina in that, the vast majority of International sides are riddled with some kind of issue.

Belgium have done well for a country of their size, Martinez hasn't done well as an International manager for a squad of that quality relative to others during his time in charge

Last edited:
I think this idea of Belgium having a golden generation is a bit over-stated.

England also had a golden generation and won nothing but Belgium is nowhere near the level of Europe's big five never mind the South Americans.

Belgium have done well for a country its size.
My opinion is that these “golden generations” are never about every player being ‘world class’, but rather, the squad has top players in most of the positions.

Look at the past WC winners as examples

France won it with Pogba, Giroud, Greizman with help from guys like Mbappe, Kante

Germany won it with Pidolski, Shurrler, Hummels with help from guys like Muller, Kroos and Ozil.

Belgium’s golden generations top players, Hazard, De Bruyne, (a top form) Lukaku would all walk into nearly every international side, and the rest of their squad would get into most other international squads.

Belgium had enough to win the last WC and the fact that they haven’t even reached a final of any competition they entered is a shame for them.

England are the perennial underachievers though, they have enough World Class players to do something but keep choosing managers who don’t seem to get them flying.

He has had what most would consider their most gifted squad, ever, by a long, long, long distance of course he is their most successful manager. He was employed by them to be that and more

At the core of the squad has been a small group of players who have been seen as some of the better options in their positions in Courtios, De Bruyne, Hazard and Lukaka, he has had this at a time when other more favored nations have went through slightly fallow periods by their usual standards.

A decent example of that is one of the last tournament winners who knocked them out, Italy, a nation currently so strong they didn't even qualify for this World Cup. The Italy side who won the Euros is far removed from being a great side.

Points totals in groups to qualify?

In 2018 the next best sides in their group were Greece and Bosnia, in 2022 it was Wales.

When they qualified for Euro 2020 the only close to competent side they faced was Russia, the rest of their group was made up of Scotland, Cyprus, Kazakhstan and San Marino.

Of course they amassed a lot of points against these sides, a want to praise him for taking that side to massive points totals against these teams isn't overly removed from McCoist wanting praise for his work in the lower divisions at Rangers - he took the best side by a massive distance, to the highest points totals, well done.

Martinez was employed to take that side over the top, to do something special, amazing, and they have never under him looked close to it, they have generally just fizzled out stumbled about and never looked like a side you would genuinely think were winning a tournament.

He has failed with that group of players when considering what International football looks like

I only really read two bits, firstly that you think he's Belgium's most successful manager and secondly that he has failed? I presume the stuff in the middle I skimmed over was blah blah blah pish?

I only really read two bits, firstly that you think he's Belgium's most successful manager and secondly that he has failed? I presume the stuff in the middle I skimmed over was blah blah blah pish?

Why do you find that statement so odd?

Surely given your location you would be more like to say baaa baaa pish?

Why do you find that statement so odd?

Surely given your location you would be more like to say baaa baaa pish?

Italy who won the tournament won 10/10 in qualifying and 3/3 in the group stages with a goal difference of 44 scored 4 conceded. They then went on to put Belgium, Spain and England out en route to winning the trophy. Italy were the best team in Europe in 2020, Belgium were beaten by the best team? No?

Regarding qualifying, you do know its seeded yeah? You do know what seeded means? You understand that Belgium's qualifying record is collectively better than any other Euro nation over the last three tournaments?

Italy who won the tournament won 10/10 in qualifying and 3/3 in the group stages with a goal difference of 44 scored 4 conceded. They then went on to put Belgium, Spain and England out en route to winning the trophy. Italy were the best team in Europe in 2020, Belgium were beaten by the best team? No?

Regarding qualifying, you do know its seeded yeah? You do know what seeded means? You understand that Belgium's qualifying record is collectively better than any other Euro nation over the last three tournaments?

teams generally have to beat good sides when it comes to knock out stages of tournaments, to make Finals and win things, it is a massive part of why Martinez was given the Belgium job, to make them the best team at a tournament, that was entirely achievable for them at Euro 2020, just not with Martinez in charge

Do you ever actually look at the teams who take part in Euro Qualifying group stages and how massive the difference is between good sides, and poor ones? There are often only about 4 groups with 2 genuinely decent sides boyo, of course the better sides with next to no second seed will amass a lot of points and wins

Really find it odd that people consider him to have underachieved at Belgium. Yes they've had some top players but always major gaps in key areas. For every De Bruyne, they've always had a CHadli at full back etc. Their record until this WC pretty impressive. Only one team can win a tournament!

Shite manager but at the two tournaments he manged them at where they were decent they lost to the winners. No shame in that really.

Whilst a good qualifying team IMO they've never been a team of players I expected to win 4 KO games when it really mattered.

Sky where saying problems where festering in the camp even before the world cup. Why not sack the manager before it then? Absolute disaster

Back