Martyn Waghorn hopes to inspire other depression sufferers: 'My mind was completely away with it. I'm delighted I've got through that period'

NDC bear forever

TELEMMGLPICT000205900030-xxlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqMf0goEFqCORX5sv7lKjfwax4RJjUtQ-ncPTj0SrXMFc.jpeg

Martyn Waghorn is the latest professional footballer who wants to say that he has suffered from depression

• Sam Wallace
9 AUGUST 2019 • 12:27 PM

Until Tuesday, the Derby County striker Martyn Waghorn had met Wayne Rooney only once, in the aftermath of his debut as a professional on Boxing Day 2007 when the then 17-year-old from South Shields was given a surprise start for Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.
It had been a remarkable day for Waghorn, ending in a 4-0 defeat for Sunderland in which Rooney had been at his very best, scoring one, creating another and a shoo-in for the sponsors’ man of the match award. Waghorn had been awarded the equivalent prize for the home team and the callow teenager found himself briefly alone alongside Rooney in a small room as they waited to get their awards and shake a few hands.
Struck by the awkwardness of it all, and a lifelong United fan from his days at their Gateshead Stadium centre of excellence, Waghorn decided to break the silence. “At that point I was just a young kid,” he recalls now. “I wanted to say something to him so I just said, ‘You’ve just got us 50 points for my fantasy football team’. I really didn’t have a clue. He laughed and said, ‘Brilliant lad, well done’.”
On Tuesday, Rooney was in Derby, whom he will join in January, one of the shock moves of the window that brings England and United’s record goalscorer back from Major League Soccer as a player-coach. Waghorn is delighted and he has already tweeted, tongue-in-cheek, that he will wrestle the greatest English player of his generation for the No 9 shirt which currently bears Waghorn’s name. He describes the excitement in the Derby squad as they first heard the news, broken by The Daily Telegraph’s James Ducker, and then the realisation after the opening night win over Huddersfield Town that it was really happening.
“It is phenomenal for us,” Waghorn says. “Him coming in January just gives us another lift in the second half of the season. To have someone like Wayne Rooney, his attitude and desire, is going to be second to none.”
Now 29, Waghorn has a spring in his step ahead of Saturday’s Pride Park opener against Swansea, established as a first choice Championship striker after a career that has seen five transfers and as many loans. The former teen prodigy who broke into the Sunderland side alongside his youth team peers Jack Colback and Jordan Henderson feels in a good place, and we have met near his home in the Derbyshire countryside to discuss something important to him.
Waghorn is the latest professional footballer who wants to say that he has suffered from depression and that he would like others, in the game and beyond, to talk openly about it. Speaking publically has been a big decision, taken with his wife Leoni, and the emotion in his voice is clear as he discusses its effect on him and his family.
It struck during his second season at Rangers, 2016-2017, while he and Leoni were living in Glasgow with their young son Ruben and was the key reason for Waghorn’s subsequent switch to Ipswich Town two years ago. His rejuvenated form there brought him to Derby last summer. Back in 2016, after his 20 goals in the second tier had helped Rangers win promotion to the Scottish Premiership, he began that second season well. Then injury and loss of form struck and he went without a goal in the league from the opening day on Aug 6, to Dec 16.
Eventually Leoni persuaded him to see the club doctor who immediately diagnosed depression. Waghorn loved playing for Rangers - the big crowds, the rich history – and he wants to make that clear. He just found the pressure that went with it hard to bear, living in a city where fans are divided so militantly. He found the injuries difficult to deal with, so too being played out of position, and then a fall-out with manager Mark Warburton all contributed to a downward spiral.

TELEMMGLPICT000085477343_trans%2B%2BXEV_sfBtNwNi-kYoLncUqFbiGMBCERzuDP_Zoc_mBtk.jpeg

Waghorn struggled to cope with the extreme pressure of playing for Rangers CREDIT: REUTERS
“Having my family around in the city, I found what was most difficult was how intense playing for a club like that was,” he says. “Everywhere you go you get questioned, followed, photographed. In the press or on social media. That’s the side I struggled with. I am quite quiet and family-orientated. Not performing to the level I wanted in the second season was when I started to struggle.
“I got injured at the start of the new season. I think that is where it escalated. I started to struggle off the field and with the demands of playing for the club. Not being fit. Not doing as well as I could have done. The team were struggling and that was when I struggled to cope with it all. This is when I kind of got diagnosed with depression.”
He had turned down a contract offer in the summer of 2016 because he felt that with better performances he could earn an improved deal. Leoni noticed that he started coming home from training and sleeping rather than interacting with his young son. Having always been a dedicated trainer he was struggling to get up in the morning. The positive personality that had always seen him cheerfully move clubs in search of first team football was gone.
“For me [being diagnosed] was a big shock,” he says. “I have always thought of myself as an open, happy person. To hear that was a big struggle. It all made sense. How I was as a person was translating onto the pitch. I remember away at Dundee [Feb 21, 2017], just after I spoke to the doctor, I could not think about the game. My mind was completely away with it. I was receiving passes and my mind was going blank. And that was when I knew this was a genuine issue.
“I went and got some help and saw a few people, independent counsellors, and the Scottish FA were really helpful. It was a difficult period in my career coping with the demands of playing for Rangers. It is not something I have spoken about publicly. From where I am at now I am delighted I can say I have got through that difficult period with help from my wife, and my family.”
Talking about it with his family and professionals helped him cope with the problem. The move to Ipswich took him out of an environment that he struggled with and 16 Championship goals later he went to Derby in a deal worth up to £7.5 million. He hopes that speaking about depression will encourage others to do the same.
“I was worried who I spoke to. You don’t want it getting out. You don’t want it to damage your reputation. I was putting on a front at training. Going home I was a completely different person. People don’t see that side. They don’t understand the struggles you go through.” He is grateful to have such a strong family around him, especially Leoni and his parents, and for their love in helping him through. He is relishing the new season and the arrival of his famous new team-mate in January.
“We want to get ourselves in a good position for when Wayne arrives,” he says. “From where I started my career to now having the chance to play alongside him is a dream come true. I want to drive the team forward as a senior player. In terms of what I can offer the team, I feel like I have a real purpose.”

knew there had to be something, he had badly went off the boil in his second season and this confirms it.

I remember being gutted at him getting injured either before or after the Scottish Cup semi I think it was.

Fair play to Waggy for coming out & saying it. He must be in a better place now. I knew there must have been something wrong the 2nd season because he has all the ability in the World to score goals at SPLell level.

Keep up the good work with Derby.

Good to see he's in a good place.

I'm not surprised to hear he was struggling here, the pressure to win and the pelters players get when not playing well is brutal. Part of why I try not to be too harsh on our players.

Good point.

That's not nice to hear and this may sound bizarre, but we hear quickly enough about hamstring strains, a tight muscle etc and this where clubs can help.

Fight the stigma of mental ill health, the club's together have massive areas to influence things. Why done continue to hide the fact that this is a prevalent and dangerous illness that needs to be taken seriously.

Always felt something had happened to the lad but never assumed depression, good that he’s in a much better place, sometimes we are to quick to judge players off form without thinking of what could be causing it.

A sad read. Fair play to Waggy for opening up. Glad to see he seems to have come through the other side and is doing well at Derby. Always seemed a top guy.

knew there had to be something, he had badly went off the boil in his second season and this confirms it.

I remember being gutted at him getting injured either before or after the Scottish Cup semi I think it was.
Got injured at kilmarnock in the replay i think it was, would have been the last 16 round. Missed the Dundee game, celtic semi and only just made it back for the final but clearly wasn't match fit. Got injured pretty soon at the start of the next season again, and never really recovered any sort of form after that.

I can see why it felt like pressure, we are a passionate crowd who adore everything Rangers, if you work for the club it must be mental knowing anything out of place gets noticed, reported in the papers and rinsed through the social media. We are guilty of it on here, some shocking things said about our own players. Maybe we should realise that it does affect the boys, and that barracking them isn’t as motivational as some think!
Martyn is a top guy and he struggled, maybe Warbs struggled? Pedro was losing the plot, and several others including Murty. Being at a big club sounds amazing, but the responsibility must become a burden for some that aren’t able to cope.
Glad the big man is better now, and I hope he has a great season ahead.

Got injured at kilmarnock in the replay i think it was, would have been the last 16 round. Missed the Dundee game, celtic semi and only just made it back for the final but clearly wasn't match fit. Got injured pretty soon at the start of the next season again, and never really recovered any sort of form after that.

Yeah that all rings a bell now.

Hopefully this sparks a bit of self reflection within the support. Yes, we have high standards and are within our right to make sure that is retained, but to read that we effectively had a negative impact on one of our top players at the time is quite alarming.

We all need to be pulling in the same direction these days, it’s too important not to be.

Hopefully this sparks a bit of self reflection within the support. Yes, we have high standards and are within our right to make sure that is retained, but to read that we effectively had a negative impact on one of our top players at the time is quite alarming.

We all need to be pulling in the same direction these days, it’s too important not to be.

It's not just down to abuse from our own fans, it's also abuse from opposition fans (off the field) and pressure from the media. He won't get that at Derby. Other players of that time like Tav and Fod have coped fine to be fair.

That's not nice to hear and this may sound bizarre, but we hear quickly enough about hamstring strains, a tight muscle etc and this where clubs can help.

Fight the stigma of mental ill health, the club's together have massive areas to influence things. Why done continue to hide the fact that this is a prevalent and dangerous illness that needs to be taken seriously.
I agree with you entirely, but the player has to be willing to publicise it too, and is also entitled to the same confidentiality regarding their health as you or I. Despite all the good work done, there is still a huge stigma attached, and in Scotland we still have a sizeable element who consider any admission of mental health struggles to be 'poofy behaviour' (as they would put it).

Wish Waggy all the best, he’s a top bloke.

As someone who struggles with this illness I can relate to almost everything he says there. Putting on a face, sleeping etc and being afraid to speak out. The recent stuff with it being discussed shows we’re making strides and it has given me strength to not feel ashamed and to try and fight it.

He’s a class act Waghorn. Despite these troubles he always speaks well of us.

Wish him well.

Couldn't agree more.

In fact I was a bit gutted when he left. You could tell he had no confidence in his final season with us and injuries hampered him a bit.

But I'd take him over the likes of Herrera, Lafferty, Sadiq etc any day of the week.

All the time in the world for Waghorn & was a bit gutted when he left (was obvious the talent was there so the chat about not being able to make the step up to the SPL was nonsense). This, at least, sheds a light on it & good on him for speaking out.

I am astonished not only by this comment but by the fact that if the SFA were involved it didn't 'leak' to the media.

"and the Scottish FA were really helpful." :eek:

Martyn Waghorn has always come across as a genuine guy who still loves our Club. I wish him a very successful season, an excellent ongoing career and no return of the demons that blighted his latter time at Rangers. One of football's 'good guys'.

Our club need a dedicated mental health team with an insight into sport. Ourselves and the shettestons have missed significant on field performance by not having such a thing.

Good on him for coming through it, opening up about it, and getting his career back on track. Anyone who abuses players in the flesh or on social media is a dick.

Our club need a dedicated mental health team with an insight into sport. Ourselves and the shettestons have missed significant on field performance by not having such a thing.
Agreed - it's a potential edge we could have over them for a relatively small outlay.

Not only that, but there is a good chance it would improve our transfer success rate. God knows how many players have failed, not because of physical or talent issues, but because of the inability to settle mentally into Scottish life and culture and deal with living abroad. People forget that our players are mostly very young men.

Agreed - it's a potential edge we could have over them for a relatively small outlay.

Not only that, but there is a good chance it would improve our transfer success rate. God knows how many players have failed, not because of physical or talent issues, but because of the inability to settle mentally into Scottish life and culture and deal with living abroad. People forget that our players are mostly very young men.

The mentally challengeds had nothing for heed and dealt with it very poorly.

Teams down south have evaluations of players mental health before signing. I’d be shocked if we haven’t at least considered it

Depression and anxiety are bigger scourges that most of the population realize. Only by the likes of Waggy speaking out about it will the powers that be take more notice. He should have joined the Lounge thread but maybe he did and then sought professional help.

I won't be surprised if more players start to talk about mental health issues, particularly at top clubs where the pressure must be immense before you get anywhere near the pitch then add in 50k fans who want success and won't tolerate anything less.

It's been said by better folk than me that at Rangers your only as good as your last pass. We are one of the few teams where we could be 4-0 up at half time and still groan about a slack pass in the 46th minute.

Not everyone can handle that sort of pressure, whereas others thrive on it. Doesn't make them bad players.

I agree with you entirely, but the player has to be willing to publicise it too, and is also entitled to the same confidentiality regarding their health as you or I. Despite all the good work done, there is still a huge stigma attached, and in Scotland we still have a sizeable element who consider any admission of mental health struggles to be 'poofy behaviour' (as they would put it).
Goes without saying players choice.

I am astonished not only by this comment but by the fact that if the SFA were involved it didn't 'leak' to the media.

"and the Scottish FA were really helpful." :eek:

Martyn Waghorn has always come across as a genuine guy who still loves our Club. I wish him a very successful season, an excellent ongoing career and no return of the demons that blighted his latter time at Rangers. One of football's 'good guys'.

Just as we shouldn't judge all Americans by Donald Trump, nor should we judge the many decent and professional people employed by the SFA by some of the utter wallopers who have headed up the organisation.

Just as we shouldn't judge all Americans by Donald Trump, nor should we judge the many decent and professional people employed by the SFA by some of the utter wallopers who have headed up the organisation.

Ha ha, fair enough comment on Trump - but the SFAs 'problems' with Rangers, and Rangers players, goes much, much deeper than the 'utter wallopers who have headed up the organisation' mate. 'Corrupt to the Core' has its basis in fact as far as I'm concerned.

Ha ha, fair enough comment on Trump - but the SFAs 'problems' with Rangers, and Rangers players, goes much, much deeper than the 'utter wallopers who have headed up the organisation' mate. 'Corrupt to the Core' has its basis in fact as far as I'm concerned.

Then you'd be wrong. I'd argue - and indeed know for a fact - that there are many decent people who value their jobs and carry them out professionally, especially when it comes to player welfare. However, they don't shape the big decisions and public perceptions of the organisation the same as the board have done down the years.

But we'll just have to leave it at that mate.

His confidence looked absolutely shot to pieces in his last few months here so this really isn’t a surprise unfortunately.

I’ll always time for Waghorn and fond memories of him that season in the Championship.

Well done for speaking out.

The other side of playing for us and the pressure the players are under.

It takes a big person to play for us. Some have it and some don't. It's not a slant on anyone if they can't handle this unique pressure here.

Waggy always seemed a decent bloke, no prima donna antics and always tried his best for us. I’m glad he feels good enough now to go public with this. Best of luck to him.

Good to see he's in a good place.

I'm not surprised to hear he was struggling here, the pressure to win and the pelters players get when not playing well is brutal. Part of why I try not to be too harsh on our players.
Lot of time for Waggy and I'd like to see him being a success at Derby. I'm with you in that I'm loathed to be negative about anyone who pulls on that blue jersey and instead back them instead of barracking them.

Back