Martyn Waghorn hopes to inspire other depression sufferers: 'My mind was completely away with it. I'm delighted I've got through that period'

Respect to Waggy and wish him all the best for the future. Hopefully he'll be made welcome back at Ibrox should he choose to visit in the future

Nonsense.

Nobody should have to avoid or not use a very useful tool because they are being sent ridiculous abuse from absolute morons.

Thing is all I read every day is someone or other getting abuse on social media. Just stay off it and the abuse stops.

Thing is all I read every day is someone or other getting abuse on social media. Just stay off it and the abuse stops.

I get the idea, but it just doesn't add up.

It's very handy for interacting with teammates, fans, the club, promoting, etc... It's a brilliant resource for players.

They shouldn't have to avoid something so useful because of idiots sending ridiculous abuse.

Delighted he's doing well.

I'd say the same for anyone, regardless of persuasion.

Keep talking boys.

I can see why it felt like pressure, we are a passionate crowd who adore everything Rangers, if you work for the club it must be mental knowing anything out of place gets noticed, reported in the papers and rinsed through the social media. We are guilty of it on here, some shocking things said about our own players. Maybe we should realise that it does affect the boys, and that barracking them isn’t as motivational as some think!
Martyn is a top guy and he struggled, maybe Warbs struggled? Pedro was losing the plot, and several others including Murty. Being at a big club sounds amazing, but the responsibility must become a burden for some that aren’t able to cope.
Glad the big man is better now, and I hope he has a great season ahead.
Great post mate

Depression can be a very debilitating illness, I'm sure we all know someone who has suffered from it, I hope Waggy continuous to keep it at bay.
Yep, it’s a fact over 80% of persons with a LFI, life threatening illness, go on to suffer depression. My self included. A fit 44 year old ex BCCMA fighter had a heartattack that totally debilitated me. It was the depression after, as I said 80% of sufferers experience that was worse. There was no help or assistance for me and I am NOT ashamed to say did try to take my life more than once. My wife “cut me down” twice, in hyphens because I tried once on the stair bannister, however was my most successful as things happened. Had a stroke since, related to my attempts, so depression never leaves. I will be at Ibrox on Sunday as I have been for last 41 years first home game. But know even guys around me would never guess.
Depression is a reall illness and can be unseen people.
Snyway just wanted to say

I'm really sorry to hear that mate.
Please remember that hope springs eternal,
Hope for the moment that lies immediately in the future as conceived right now in this very moment.

How can anybody be expected to do their job well with thousands shouting abuse at them?
And that doesn't just apply to players with mental health issues...how can shouting abuse at your own players possibly produce a better performance from them?
We're supposed to be SUPPORTERS after all!

Well done to him for having the courage to talk about this.

He seems like a nice guy who never has anything but good words to say about us, and I wish him well.

Yep, it’s a fact over 80% of persons with a LFI, life threatening illness, go on to suffer depression. My self included. A fit 44 year old ex BCCMA fighter had a heartattack that totally debilitated me. It was the depression after, as I said 80% of sufferers experience that was worse. There was no help or assistance for me and I am NOT ashamed to say did try to take my life more than once. My wife “cut me down” twice, in hyphens because I tried once on the stair bannister, however was my most successful as things happened. Had a stroke since, related to my attempts, so depression never leaves. I will be at Ibrox on Sunday as I have been for last 41 years first home game. But know even guys around me would never guess.
Depression is a reall illness and can be unseen people.
Snyway just wanted to say
Great post my friend, I can concur with this, I'm a testicular cancer survivor and know this feeling very well, 32 years old Male into bodybuilding, no one would ever know what I am going through mentally on the inside.

It’s important we as fans never drop our standards but we must make it easier to play for Rangers and not get on our players back as much, as they are only human and the abuse they take from some fans can lead to mental health problems.

Last edited:
Honestly, so much respect to him for opening up about this.

An absolute gent of a guy. Wish him all the best

Always felt a warmth towards Waghorn. He was doing a fantastic job for a while, and the injury he speaks of, he never seemed to recover. I really wish him all the best. He is one of the good guys.

It’s important we as fans never drop our standards but we must make it easier to play for Rangers and not get on our players back as much as they are only human and that the abuse they take from some fans can lead to mental health problems.

You’re right.

I can occasionally be guilty of slagging a player on here for a mistake, although would never ever abuse them in person or on social media.

At the end of the day, its football and they are human, they do not deserve abuse. Imagine a stadium of 50,000 people abusing you because you made a mistake in a game of football or because you cant perform as well as you hope too. Its just not right.

Waggy was a really good signing for us. Scored a lot of goals and never said a bad word about Rangers. Always welcome back at Ibrox.

Reactions: SE5
Great post my friend, I can concur with this, I'm a testicular cancer survivor and know this feeling very well, 32 years old Male into bodybuilding, no one would ever know what I am going through mentally on the inside.
First off, I hope you are well and fully fit now. Ty for understanding also where I’ve and no doubt, you have been, i have been called a coward for what I have tried in the past, yet when I stand toe to toe with them, they seem to back down. Coward, never, truthful and hurting still, YES. Always will. What people do not understand is it can affect anyone, old or young. Yet there is still a stigma.

Back