Martyn Waghorn.

I think he’d have been a very capable backup similar to the level Itten is at presently perhaps, but we need to upgrade what we already have, IMO.

As much as Alfie is superb in the system we play, I still feel his finishing could be better and I think we’re going to need that greater degree of ruthlessness if we want to do anything in the CL.

Good physical presence, good finisher and very good workrate. Think he'd have been a decent squad member. Never a first choice probably, but more than good enough as some back-up/bulk to the squad.

Loved big waghorn, struggled with injuries towards the end but the player he's been for Derby since going there he definitely could play in this current Rangers team.
Always speaks very fondly of his time here.

Forgot all about the lad untill he was on talk sport - saying how happy he is that we will win the league.

Does anyone think Waghorn could have been a useful player in Getrards system? Personally maybe on the right of the 3 but didn’t think he was good as the main central striker.

Like to bear people opinions..
It was confidence for the big man. You could see it every time got through on goal. He got injured in first game back in the top flight and by the time he returned the pressure from our fans was unrelenting.

after warburton came Pedro. I think a manager like Gerrard could’ve developed him mentally and he’d be a more than capable backup.

the big mans making a good time of it in a top championship side and is happy. Therefore I’m happy. Football aside anybody who met him confirms he’s a complete gent that really recognised the size and stature of the club. Would absolutely love him back as a fan and really hope he does get to a few games one day.

Running the ball over the bye line at Hampden stumbling over imaginary opponents was the last straw for me. We have far better options and he’s nowhere near Kent or Alfie.

Liked him and think he might have been decent coming off the bench for the current squad. Another one whos career with us was ruined by that fcuking pitch at Rugby Park.

Probably a 50/50 split on him being a squad player or not- could debate all day.

However, I think we can say without a shadow of a doubt, he was one of the half dozen or so players were instrumental in taking us us from the despair of being pumped by Motherwell in the playoffs, to getting back to the relative big time that is the SPL. Without players like Martin Waghorn, Holt, McKay, Tav and Haliday (obviously) and a couple more, there would be no Steven Gerard.

And for that we should be eternally grateful.

I liked him a lot but he was never good enough to be our main striker. Could have been a useful player to have as a wide forward though, as a backup.

Really like him though, always gave his absolute best.

Yeah I really liked him and he'd have been an asset with Gerrard's management skills improving him

I didn't much care for him when he was with us- he was occasionally half decent but still pretty inconsistent overall imo
(Being fair - we were very different then though)

I'll be glad to revise my opinion on him now - based on his apparent improvement & relative success since he left

That doesn't mean I think we were wrong to let him go - or that we should consider getting him back - though

watched him tw
Forgot all about the lad untill he was on talk sport - saying how happy he is that we will win the league.

Does anyone think Waghorn could have been a useful player in Getrards system? Personally maybe on the right of the 3 but didn’t think he was good as the main central striker.

Have watched him twice recently and both times he was awful despite hitting the post with a free kick in one game.

I liked Waghorn a lot, but that was in the Championship. I don't think he is anywhere near our level now, but will always think kindly of him for helping us on our way back to our rightful place at the top.

Mentality aside (huge importance I know), Waghorn, Candeias and Windass would all contribute to our squad massively IMO.

Waggy went away and impressed, got a big move and is now struggling in a struggling side - but that shouldnt cast doubt over his ability.

The Gaffer called it right with the players he has, but has to strengthen even further for next season.

Martyn Waghorn was never part of his league winning plan.

He would have contributed on the right side of the 3 as a squad player over the likes of Stewart and Jones but would have been fazed out going forward as we need to improve squad choices for CL next season.

Very likeable guy who did well for us in Championship.

Wouldn't have been that bad of an option in Gerrard's first season. Would have been a better option than Lafferty, Sadiq, Middleton... but nowhere near the level of Kent, Morelos, Hagi, Aribo, Roofe, Defoe.

Not good enough for where we are now IMO. But appreciate his efforts and contribution in the past. Had a good attitude

I can't believe he's 31 years of age. Nice to know he still thinks about us. His goals played the part of our journey

he couldnt hit a barn door.. one of the worst one on one with GK strikers I have seen.. seemed to magically become better as soon as he left us?

Honestly think some people were watching a different player than the one I remember

Top guy, loved his enthusiasm for the club and he done us a real turn for the level we were at, at the time (to begin with at least). And I think he'll always be one the fans will welcome back with affection and respect. But as a guest and supporter not as a player.

Another player who was ruined by that fucking piece of shite plastic pitch at Kilmarnock.

Another reason for wanting Kilmarnock to get relegated, and stay down.

I liked Waghorn. Gerrard likely would have improved him too.

Not sure he is good enough for where we are now though? Having said that iv havent seen him play since he left.
Agree with this - there is a great player in there, and we saw it a lot.

Whether he would be quite good enough to occupy a role in this team on a consistent basis is up for debate though... he would have brought more goals than Candeias but not sure he would have provided the flexibility to rotate or drop back into midfield that Aribo, Arfield or Kent do.

A player I’ll always be pleased to see scoring goals though and I wish the very best for him in his career.

Last edited:
He had a really poor spell when Pedro took over, as did a few. But his confidence completely went and had big impact on his performance level.

He seemed to regain it fairly quickly down south.

when you consider we got rid of him and bright in Pena, Herrera, Dalcio and the likes he was really harshly treated.

May have been decent option in Gerrard’s first season had he still been about.

never failed to give 100% when he pulled on the jersey
sadly after the injury that 100% wasn't enough and his confidence was shot

moving was best for him and for the club

he's more than welcome back at Ibrox as a guest anytime. one of the few from that era who are!

Liked waggy. I think he would be a decent squad player but I've not seen him play for a while

I think he'd definitely have been a good squad player who would always score goals and work his socks off

morelos waghorn & Roofe would make such a powerful top 3 with Kent playing in a free role just behind

Any thoughts?????.......

Back