Mason greenwood charges dropped

Wii the fact the audio being out there not make it easier for his lawyers to get it thrown out as evidence

That's a very surprising verdict.

I thought when that audio recording, messages etc. came out he was going to prison for sure.
I think making all that stuff public is actually worse for a case. He can’t get a fair trial if public opinion is negative towards him.

Who knows though, she might have become hostile and corroborating everything she accused him of was to difficult.

No one will know though.

Thats what i was thinking - hes, in the eyes of the law, innocent.

But they are going to get some stick if they keep him. As is any future club.

May be fair to say his career is done and a pay off in due course.
I suppose they could get rid of him, if they deemed his behaviour while not illegal, still to be below the acceptable level for an employee. I know little of the case and no skin in the game, just an observation

Technically there wasn't a not guilty verdict. All charges have been dropped.
Ah, so he's technically 'innocent' because he has no case to answer and we have the presumption of innocent before being proven guilty.

Now he could pretend nothing happened and use the libel laws to sue the shite anyone who said otherwise.

Cool.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is relatively common in domestic abuse cases etc where they end up back with their abuser and then refuse to give evidence against them.

Probably thinks she isn't going to hook up with someone on that salary if she packs him in.

Silly girl.

That's a very surprising verdict.

I thought when that audio recording, messages etc. came out he was going to prison for sure.
It's not a verdict as it didn't reach court.
The police have dropped their investigation. Apparently a key witness withdrew their involvement. I'm thinking that can only be the victim herself. If it is who knows her reasons.
I thought it looked very bad for him too. So many of the recent footballer cases have looked open and shut. However, here we are, Ronaldo no charges brought, Mendy cleared and now Greenwood's investigation dropped.

Having listened to the extremely disturbing audio, I'm not going to bother with feeling sorry for him. Not much the Crown can do when the witness whom the entire prosecution hinges on withdraws.

I suppose that Man U will have to either reinstate him now, or pay his contract up. He is young and talented, so he will be able to play on somewhere.

And for those of the binary 'this means he didn't do anything' mindset, I give you Craig Whyte and Charles Green.

Think Man Utd will pay Greenwood off. Bit of a PR nightmare for them considering the audio is still out there.
Think he’ll be off abroad for a few years at least.

Will have to find a club where his ability makes it worth the hassle for them. Man Utd can afford an equally good replacement.

We've all seen the videos etc. If that's not enough (even if the victim refuses to testify) then what hope do victims of abuse have ?

This isn't just a he said/she said scenario.
Even if she did drop out, the CPS must have thought they did not have enough evidence for a conviction. There is also the " new evidence" , what was this new evidence that they thought it would damage their cause and hinder their chances of a conviction.?

A CPS spokesperson said: “We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review. In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

Ah, so he's technically 'innocent' because he has no case to answer and we have the presumption of innocent before being proven guilty.

Now he could pretend nothing happened and use the libel laws to sue the shite anyone who said otherwise.

Cool.
Same as people calling Griffiths a paedo. Despite what we all seen, he's innocent until proven guilty.

Hopefully the court of public opinion ruins his career for this.

When it comes to English football I always prefer Man Utd & thought he was a talented player but he's got away with it here & doesn't deserve to be part of a privileged profession in the UK.

Given the audio clips and the state of his girlfriend, there’s no way in hell Man Utd will take him back in, he will stay at home on full pay or be given a pay off.

I can’t imagine any top club touching him either.
He can always join forces with his ex team mate in Saudi.

Hopefully the court of public opinion ruins his career for this.

When it comes to English football I always prefer Man Utd & thought he was a talented player but he's got away with it here & doesn't deserve to be part of a privileged profession in the UK.
I can't see them keeping him on.

The "new evidence" will be mewling character witness statements from her family members wanting to stay on the teat.

Sadly the most likely outcome here is he does it again and puts her in hospital or worse.

If his partner is now an unwilling witness, and changing her story,that would make things difficult for the prosecution.

Shows how difficult prosecuting these cases is. Whatever evidence exists he is in the eyes of the law innocent.

Think he will need to go abroad.

Post 61, if that photo combined with audio relate to the case no way charges dropped, particularly in England as unlike Scotland corroboration not required to bring a case.

Her bank account will likely be considerably larger and he gets away with this disgusting behaviour. No wonder it is so difficult to prosecute the rich and powerful for their actions. Utd fans wont tolerate him back I would imagine.

I wonder if Man U could sack him and let him take it to court or a tribunal if he wants.

I wonder if Man U could sack him and let him take it to court or a tribunal if he wants.
No chance whatsoever.

He was held on charges that he is (in the eyes of the law) innocent of. It would be the fastest employee tribunal in history and Greenwood would be getting massive damages payout along with his contract being paid up.

They might just grit their teeth, get to the summer and offload him abroad to someone like Galatasaray.

No chance whatsoever.

He was held on charges that he is (in the eyes of the law) innocent of. It would be the fastest employee tribunal in history and Greenwood would be getting massive damages payout along with his contract being paid up.

They might just grit their teeth, get to the summer and offload him abroad to someone like Galatasaray.

The law would presume him to be innocent for the purposes of a trial but there hasn't been a trial and there is none pending. A tribunal would be another matter. Depending on his contract could he be sacked? Would he take it to to a tribunal or court given the evidence that's out there (if that evidence could be submitted to the court or tribunal)? However, Man U might well take another option.

Thats what i was thinking - hes, in the eyes of the law, innocent.

But they are going to get some stick if they keep him. As is any future club.

May be fair to say his career is done and a pay off in due course.
No chance. He may get released, but he will probably head abroad for a few years and play somewhere

The "new evidence" will be mewling character witness statements from her family members wanting to stay on the teat.

Sadly the most likely outcome here is he does it again and puts her in hospital or worse.
It could or it may have been evidence against her that may have placed her credibility in doubt.

Unlikely unfortunately

The court of public opinion will likely win in time, but Greenwood would win that at a tribunal every day of the week

Legally he's innocent

Morally however...

The law would presume him to be innocent for the purposes of a trial but there hasn't been a trial and there is none pending. A tribunal would be another matter. Depending on his contract could he be sacked? Would he take it to to a tribunal or court given the evidence that's out there (if that evidence could be submitted to the court or tribunal)? However, Man U might well take another option.
Legally, yes he could be sacked. Manchester United will not do this though because they will get taken to a tribunal by Greenwood and taken to the cleaners by Greenwood's lawyers.

If Manchester United unilaterally ripped up his contract the first question in the tribunal would be "why did you unilaterally cancel a legally binding contractual agreement?" and if the answer is "because of the case" the immediate counter the Greenwood's lawyers would have is "what case? He was investigated and found to have no case to answer. This is clear breach of contract" and Manchester United would be on the hook for the full contract plus inevitable damages in the millions of pounds to Greenwood.

It would be such an "open-and-shut" case it would take 20 minutes to solve from start to finish. The only question is "How much in damages is Greenwood getting?"

As for evidence being submitted, it's a completely different case in a different court. Employee tribunal will only care on the outcome of the legal case, not evidence submitted. As the case never happened, any "evidence" that the Employer tries to bring in will be thrown out by a judge for being irrelevant to the tribunal case.

Back