Massive summer ahead, but major overhaul is not needed

SuperGers07

WE simply cannot be ripping it up and starting again every year like the last few years.
Gerrard, will get us motoring. There's only a few tweaks here and there required.

Sadly, there is a clear lack of winning mentality and desire in that dressing room still, and the manager of all people will now know that. I firmly believe he will have the cards marked of those he wants out.

I don't think it will be a major overhaul, but tough calls will probably be made.
Mid february and the league's away (again), we need to find a way to win games consistently. The alternative, would be a disaster and see us continuing to be in the shadows for years to come.

Sadly, there is a clear lack of winning mentality and desire in that dressing room still, and the manager of all people will now know that. I firmly believe he will have the cards marked of those he wants out.

I actually disagree with this, our European run, Old Firm performance and wins with 10 men show that mentality isn’t something that this squad particularly lacks.

I think we’re just very limited in terms of quality within the midfield area, we’re also far too reliant on Morelos.

We need 4 or 5 players of his quality imo

WE simply cannot be ripping it up and starting again every year like the last few years.
Gerrard, will get us motoring. There's only a few tweaks here and there required.

Sadly, there is a clear lack of winning mentality and desire in that dressing room still, and the manager of all people will now know that. I firmly believe he will have the cards marked of those he wants out. There's 5 that are first team title winning quality McGregor Tav Goldson Arfield Kent Morelos and there is plenty of squad players Candeias Kamara Halliday etc the summer should be about trying to get the six starting positions filled with quality it's far from a rebuild we have a good base of a squad now

I don't think it will be a major overhaul, but tough calls will probably be made.
Mid february and the league's away (again), we need to find a way to win games consistently. The alternative, would be a disaster and see us continuing to be in the shadows for years to come.

There's 5 that are first team title winning quality McGregor Tav Goldson Arfield Kent Morelos and there is plenty of squad players Candeias Kamara Halliday etc the summer should be about trying to get the six starting positions filled with quality it's far from a rebuild we have a good base of a squad now

When Barisic was first injured and Flanagan was in there, I wanted Borna to be back because I felt we missed his presence. We were too predictable on Tav's side. I thought there would be a legitimate threat. The whole left side is not effective, not slagging kent. Let's be honest, Barisic is scared and grezda is unreliable, but i'll be honest I thought at the start it was a good plan b to losing murphy. Still feel we would be 4+ points if hes on the left side at Ibrox.

I think there will be and given the amount of players who could move on, along with Gerrard's patience running thin with some, I see a busy summer ahead.

Worrall, Kent and Morelos may all move - three guaranteed starters already.

Coulibaly, Foderingham, Alnwick, Rossiter, Docherty, Davis, Wallace, McAuley... may no longer be here.

On top of what the first team already require.

Its not just going to be 3 or 4.

I actually disagree with this, our European run, Old Firm performance and wins with 10 men show that mentality isn’t something that this squad particularly lacks.

I think we’re just very limited in terms of quality within the midfield area, we’re also far too reliant on Morelos.

We need 4 or 5 players of his quality imo

Mentality can boil down to more than just showing up once every 4 or 5 weeks when a so called big game comes about.

It's about having the balls to go to tough away grounds and grind out results every week. It's about being able to handle the pressure at home to crap like St Johnstone and win comfy.

There's 5 that are first team title winning quality McGregor Tav Goldson Arfield Kent Morelos and there is plenty of squad players Candeias Kamara Halliday etc the summer should be about trying to get the six starting positions filled with quality it's far from a rebuild we have a good base of a squad now

Its concerning that one of the five on your list isn't our player and another seems likely to be sold.

We don't necessarily need six quality players, although that would be nice. We need some quality in key areas, unfortunately those positions are the hardest to fill with our budget.

Harsh as well to have Kamara penciled in as a squad player after only one game, which in-fact he played well in.

I reckon we will see a fairly large turnover again.

Foderingham, Worrall, Mcauley, Wallace, Flanagan (i think he'll go back down south), Coulibaly, Davis, Kent, Morelos all more than likely to be away. And with question marks over Barisic, Docherty, Tavernier, Grezda, Defoe, Lafferty and probably a few others i've forgotten about.

There's every chance we will see double figures going out and coming in.

We were always going to have to replace this season's loan signings with a different batch. That is baked into the cake these days. Very few loanees hang about for more than 12-18 months. We were always going to need at least 3 permanents this summer, but that number has maybe increased with the last few performances. This gives us at least 7-8 players we will likely require. Add to this the possibility that Tav or Morelos will leave then that number will increase.

We have a decent defence.

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Katic
Barasic

McCrorie

We now need to sort out how we open teams up.

I think we’ll get Kent back for another season.

Arfield and Jack are good, but we need something different in there as well. We also need a proper number 10 for home games. Swapping McCrorie out and putting someone at the top of the triangle.

Candeias is good, but we also need a goal scorer from there.

We need to keep Morelos or replace him with something special.

We then need a decent 2/3rd striker that can play on his own as well.

Two genuine quality midfielders. An 8 & a 10.

A wide right who gets 10+ a season.

Also, if we bring in one real quality midfielder, a regular, guaranteed should be starting every week, then it leaves us with Jack, McCrorie, Kamara, Arfield, Docherty, Dorrans fighting it out for two places. On the wings, we'll have Grezda, Murphy, Candeias and Jones yet even if we kept Kent for another year i think most would agree they'd still want a quality wide man purchased. That would give us 6 players for 2 positions, not including Middleton but i reckon he'll be away on loan next year. We have too many players of an average, squad player standard.

The squad we'll be left with next season..

McGregor, Firth

Tav, Polster, Flannigan

Barasic, Halliday

Goldson, Katic, McAuley?

McCrorie, Jack, Arfield, Kamara, Rossiter, Dorrans, Docherty.

Candieas, Grezda, Middleton, Murphy, Jones.

Defoe, Lafferty, Hardie

Tav, McAuley, Rossiter, Docherty & Defoe aren't guaranteed to be here either.

That squad is a million miles from competing with the mentally challengeds, it's frightening.

As far as I'm concerned we need..

CB x2
CM x2
RW
LW
St x2

All of which need to be better than we already have, every sumer feels like groundhog day!

We have a strong, physical, team with plenty of players who are good at the job they do. The issue for me is that too many people do the same job, more variety in terms of creativity. The issue with our recruitment this season is that we never replaced Goss or Windass, neither for me were the long-term answers but no one has really stepped in to provide the passing range of Goss and the closest we have to the movement and goals of Windass is Arfield who for me is a different type of player.

A major squad overhaul probably will be required to some extent actually.

In fact, if Morelos goes, we need an entire new spine - new centre half (Worrall back to Forest and Katic possibly still not convincing Gerrard he’s worthy of a regular start); a playmaker and a new striker.

Additionally I’d suggest we need another midfielder to go straight into the team and a real threat out wide in the front three, and that’s just the starting XI.

Once you look at loan players returning (Kent, Davis, Coulibaly) there will need to be like for like replacements there as well.

Then you add in the possibility of Tav leaving and we might need a replacement there too, plus a new backup to McGregor if Foderingham leaves and suddenly you’re talking about having to bring in 10 new players this summer.

We need 1st team quality who are not afraid to take games by the scruff of the neck and lead by example, not more squad players. Not enough game changers on our books sadly. I think gerrard will be ruthless in shipping out some of those who are proving they are picking and choosing when to turn up for us.

In all honesty, I think the following non-loan players are of the quality required:
McGregor Tavernier Goldson Katic Jack McCrorie Arfield Morelos
Maybes:
Barisic (but needs to grow a set) Kamara (too early to judge but good debut) Dorrans (but never fit) Rossiter (but never fit) Candeias (only for certain types of games) Polster (no idea yet) Jones (we shall see how the jersey fits) Grezda (still early but thus far unconvinced)
Make dos for certain games:
Halliday Lafferty Middleton

To me we need:
A left back (possibly)
Another centre half that will challenge Goldson and Katic properly
A foot on the ball, spray passes midfielder
An attacking midfielder who can shoot
A centre forward who is good in the aur
Two wingers who can beat a man and consistently deliver good crosses

A major squad overhaul probably will be required to some extent actually.

In fact, if Morelos goes, we need an entire new spine - new centre half (Worrall back to Forest and Katic possibly still not convincing Gerrard he’s worthy of a regular start); a playmaker and a new striker.

Additionally I’d suggest we need another midfielder to go straight into the team and a real threat out wide in the front three, and that’s just the starting XI.

Once you look at loan players returning (Kent, Davis, Coulibaly) there will need to be like for like replacements there as well.

Then you add in the possibility of Tav leaving and we might need a replacement there too, plus a new backup to McGregor if Foderingham leaves and suddenly you’re talking about having to bring in 10 new players this summer.

Agree with this. One of the hazards of relying quite heavily on loan signings is that when they become key first-team players week-in-week-out, it leaves you with big gaps to fill if they leave at the end of their stint with the club.

Kent is playing well enough this season that it's a bit of a long shot we'll be able to keep him IMHO. Must be generating a bit of interest elsewhere with his performances.

Davis for me has yet to look like what we need (I'm sure there'll be folk shouting about his fitness levels, giving him time etc, but I'm not sold on him as an answer to any of the questions being asked of us).

Coulibaly likewise is far from looking like the level of player who's going to drag us up to winning titles.

Worrall will likely be gone regardless of folks' opinions, which he splits anyway.

If we lose Alfie, we have a mammoth task in filling his boots, because the impact of him being out is there for all to see.

We've got some loanees coming back in, but none who you could honestly say would take us up from where we are now.

We're ultimately shopping in bargain buckets and hoping to unearth diamonds - we'll likely see more failures than successes in that market. However, the annual rebuilding process is something we have to get past, because for me we're really not a great deal further on than we have been the last few seasons.

Accepting Europe as a short-lived, early season highlight, the rest has been pretty much on a par with Pedro and Murty's domestic performances and yet again the squad we have in place will be taken apart come the summer, rather than built upon.

It's not a great cycle to be in.

I don't think we need a mass overhaul like last season but we need 4 or 5 certain starters of quality, we will only get that if Morelos goes and maybe Tav aswell, could be a big turnover though and it will be the same for the Tims.

Reactions: cav
I guarantee you that Steven Gerrard does not believe we just need a few 'tweaks'

I would hope not !! - he will have to do far better than Jones and Kamara - he will need quite a bit of money to spend on a couple of big signings - we have Defoe for another year - but assuming Alfredo goes we should have a bit in the kitty.

Squad:

Mcgregor
New GK
Firth

Tavernier
Polster
Goldson
Katic
Barisic

McCrorie
Kamara
Jack
Arfield
Docherty

Morelos
Murphy
Defoe
Jones

Try to keep Kent or get on perm
Maybe Grezda if he shows us something before the end of the season.
Loan out Middleton

Replace:
Foderingham

Worrall
McAuley
Wallace
Flanagan
Halliday

Dorrans
Davis
Coulibally
Rossiter

Lafferty (Maybe harsh but unless he gets games hes a waste of time)
Candeias

Would be surprised to see Morelos stay next season so maybe we will need to bring in 2 strikers.

Also think this could be Taverniers last season with us but wont sleep if he goes for good money

Whoever we bring in this summer quality needs to go up a notch because its not been good enough so far

We need to stop buying average midfielders. In fact average players indeed. We've a squad of squad players. So I do sort of agree. We need a proper midfielder and striker assuming Morelos goes. That's where the bulk of the money should go. Not £1million here and £2million there on filler.

We have a strong, physical, team with plenty of players who are good at the job they do. The issue for me is that too many people do the same job, more variety in terms of creativity. The issue with our recruitment this season is that we never replaced Goss or Windass, neither for me were the long-term answers but no one has really stepped in to provide the passing range of Goss and the closest we have to the movement and goals of Windass is Arfield who for me is a different type of player.

The balance just isn't there yet, true. Ejaria put a spanner in the works and the Dorrans situation has been a big disappointment. We badly need the player you describe.

If we are looking at just a few tweaks as the OP suggests then we are in big trouble.

We need to start signing 1st team starters and stop buying squad players. If Morelos goes then we need to spend that money very wisely on 5 or 6 decent, hungry players.

Shifting some of the garbage we have is yet again going to be another massive challenge ...

We need quality that will improve the starting 11. No more signings that will improve the squad options.

Jones fits into the latter category imo. If (big if) reports are true that Gerrard wants to bring in Coulibaly permanently then god help us as that’s not what we need.

Our issue is creating chances! The amount of games where we’ve dropped points but not even looked like scoring is criminal.
A blind man can see where the team needs strengthening.

We need to stop buying average midfielders. In fact average players indeed. We've a squad of squad players. So I do sort of agree. We need a proper midfielder and striker assuming Morelos goes. That's where the bulk of the money should go. Not £1million here and £2million there on filler.

The other thing to remember here is a one-out-one-in in Morelos case doesn't take us forward.

We already need another striker who can really compliment the squad and step up when needed, because the current crop don't appear up to it.

So, Alfie goes, we need two IMHO - and two GOOD strikers who fit the system SG wants us to play.

We are far too quick to write players off. We still have too many amongst us who are looking for signings of the height of nine in a row when we bought players who were the finished article and hit the ground running. Those days are gone and not coming back. We are buying potential that we need to develop.

Barasic is a good example. Many on here think he is simply not good enough. He has played half a season, no regular run in the team, been in and out due to injury. Moved to a new country, new style of football first big club. Has three caps for Croatia. Is a very good player who we need to nurture and improve. Best crosser of the ball, good dead ball expert as well. Needs some time.

We haven't lost the league by any stretch. 12 games to go including two against them. 8 behind. Valencia showed they are far from unbeatable. Why are chucking he towel in already?

We have a decent squad, in the summer we need a couple of quality midfielders and replace Worral. Our team lacks creativity in the centre of midfield. Maybe Davis will come onto a game, not played much for a while.

But we are nowhere near as bad as so many think.

If it were me, I'd be looking to do the following:

Loan return: Worrall, Coulibaly

Move on: Lafferty, Wallace, McAuley, Foderingham, Flanagan, Halliday, Dorrans, Holt,
Hodson, Dodoo, Alnwick, Herrera

Wait & see: Rossiter, Docherty, Davis, Grezda

Loan out: Middleton

Try to keep: Kent

This leaves: McGregor, McCrorie (GK), Tavernier, Barisic, Goldson, Katic, Polster, Jack, McCrorie, Arfield, Kamara, Candeias, Jones, Morelos, Defoe, Hardie

I think we need 1xGK, 2xCB, 1xLB, 2xCM, 1xRW I think 4/5 would need to be definite starters, particularly in central midfield and then we'd have a couple of squad players.

Last edited:
I think it will be something like 10 in and 10 out.

At least half the players coming in need to be quality players ready to walk into the 1st team and not more squad fillers.

I think we may be left with something like;

McGregor,Firth,McCrorie

Tav,Polster,Flanagan,Goldson,Katic,Barasic,Halliday

McCrorie,Jack,Kamara,Docherty,Arfield

Candeias,Murphy,Jones,Middleton,Kent(hopefully)

Defoe,Lafferty

I have doubts about the fitness of Grezda,Rossiter and Dorrans so haven't included them as I feel they may well be loaned out due to that.I reckon Morelos may well go if the money's right,as depressing a thought as that is it may well end up improving us overall if we can spend it wisely.

2 x CH
2 x Midfield
1 x Wide player
2 x Strikers

We agree on a lot on here but a 'few tweaks' all being carefully monitored? Really? You then admit to no winning mentality. Add in no football brains "Nae Alfie today, I'll boot ball randomly up anyway, you just never know" and no real pace. Oh and no goals from wide attackers. And no #10 or creative player in midfield.

To confidently imagine winning this league, as in KNOWING we have the standard, at the moment it is:

McGregor, possibly Tav if he can be protected, Goldson if he ever recovers his form, Morelos, and maybe Kent who flatters to deceive. Of these one is 39 and two won't be here next season.

McGregor

Barisic
Goldson
Katic
Tav

Jack
McCorie
A game breaker

Kent
Likely Morelos replacement
AN other

If we put 3 players in the side in the 2/3/4 million bracket it would make a massive difference to us. I would far rather we done that

We would then have the Halliday, Loan CB, Kamaram, Middelton, Jones and Defoe types even to come in if need be.

I think we may be left with something like;

McGregor,Firth,McCrorie

Tav,Polster,Flanagan,Goldson,Katic,Barasic,Halliday

McCrorie,Jack,Kamara,Docherty,Arfield

Candeias,Murphy,Jones,Middleton,Kent(hopefully)

Defoe,Lafferty

I have doubts about the fitness of Grezda,Rossiter and Dorrans so haven't included them as I feel they may well be loaned out due to that.I reckon Morelos may well go if the money's right,as depressing a thought as that is it may well end up improving us overall if we can spend it wisely.

2 x CH
2 x Midfield
1 x Wide player
2 x Strikers

I agree with what we need. I don’t understand the hard on so many have for Kent.
His return in regard to assists and goals is very poor . He runs with the ball a lot but never releases the ball to a Rangers player enough to make a difference.
I don’t think we can afford him also. I would be looking for a wide player on the left who regularly scores goals.

No more bolstering the squad imo, there is plenty in that first team that could drop out and become squad players at best going forward.

We have players who consistently fail us when there is a chance to apply any sort of pressure.

No more bolstering the squad imo, there is plenty in that first team that could drop out and become squad players at best going forward.

We have players who consistently fail us when there is a chance to apply any sort of pressure.

"Massive December" was the eye opener...fucked up before and after Filth game and yet easily won that game. No idea or grasp of what it is to perform under pressure, grind out wins and ruthlessly expose weakness.

Maybe I have miscalculated, I think there's some genuine talent in there but yeah, maybe we need more than envisioned

Still at a loss as to why Jordan Jones was signed. An utter downgrade on Kent. I do not think for one second he's a Steven Gerrard signing. He was on the dof radar for over a year, so guess its been long planned.

Is there any way contracts like that can be cancelled, there's no way he will cut it

All about opinions but guys who simply won't be regulars in any team that is winning trophies:

Barisic, Halliday, possibly Jack, Coulibally, Arfield, Davis, Candieas, Jones, Lafferty, Grezda, Middleton...

I have some hopes for well coached and organised Kamara and Goldson.

If we sell Morelos, then it should be an overhaul because we will have the money to buy 4 or 5 very good players. Additionally, 3 regulars are on loan so of course they’ll need replaced.

I agree with what we need. I don’t understand the hard on so many have for Kent.
His return in regard to assists and goals is very poor . He runs with the ball a lot but never releases the ball to a Rangers player enough to make a difference.
I don’t think we can afford him also. I would be looking for a wide player on the left who regularly scores goals.
If we get him mate,it'll be on loan only-which leaves funds for other areas.I think he is over hyped a bit,but he is a very decent player and as loans go-has been the only one that hasn't looked out of place in our shirt with any sort of consistency at all.

I appreciate lots will disagree with me on that,it's just my personal take on the loanees so far.

* I should have said,I have hopes Murphy will come back and contribute with a few goals also-but regardless we will still need another wide player signed with goals in him.

"Massive December" was the eye opener...fucked up before and after Filth game and yet easily won that game. No idea or grasp of what it is to perform under pressure, grind out wins and ruthlessly expose weakness.

added to the inconsistencies before and after the Tim game was the managers decision to buy D&D and throw 2 clearly unfit players into the starting 11 on a dodgy pitch against an awkward team
not clever

The problem is that a performance like the one on Dec 29th is an anomaly with this team. It's not indicative of genuine capability overall as we show zero sign of being able to play like that on even a semi-regular basis.

Hibs, Hearts, Killie have beaten them this season too. None of them can lay claim to be title-challengers in any real world scenario. We are simply another also-ran in the top-flight as things stand, close enough in terms of points to kid-on things are still mathematically possible and that it's all still there for the taking.

In truth we are well off it, because we are far more consistent at throwing away daft points and struggling against mediocrity than we are at putting a string of convincing results together to suggest we have anything like what is needed to win the league.

The real pain is that the mhanks are as poor just now as they've been since Deila was in charge, yet they still seem to have that ability to grind out the points they need - yes with some real help from the officials, etc - but they have a much more apparent winning mentality than our team does.

I don’t rhi
McGregor

Barisic
Goldson
Katic
Tav

Jack
McCorie
A game breaker

Kent
Likely Morelos replacement
AN other

If we put 3 players in the side in the 2/3/4 million bracket it would make a massive difference to us. I would far rather we done that

We would then have the Halliday, Loan CB, Kamaram, Middelton, Jones and Defoe types even to come in if need be.

I don’t think Jack, McCrorie at the moment and Kent are good enough and consistent enough to get us winning regularly.
Tav and Morelos will more than likely be sold.

We need 1 defensive mid and cover. Depending on the formation we need a playmaker also and a creative mid who scores goals.
If persisting with this god awful 433 we have to play it with the correct type of players. The main midfielders have to be dynamic and to be able to tackle, make killer passes and contribute with goals.
The wide players have to score over 10 goals per season or more if playing in a 433.

We need 2 CHs, Right back, 2 mids (playmaker and attacking ones), right attacking wide player who scores and 2 strikers.
I would sell a good few others as well as Tav and Morelos to get as much for transfers as possible.

My concerns are though in who Allen and SG bring in as apart from Goldson and Katic I don’t think they have done that well in the transfer market.

I don’t rhi

I don’t think Jack, McCrorie at the moment and Kent are good enough and consistent enough to get us winning regularly.
Tav and Morelos will more than likely be sold.

We need 1 defensive mid and cover. Depending on the formation we need a playmaker also and a creative mid who scores goals.
If persisting with this god awful 433 we have to play it with the correct type of players. The main midfielders have to be dynamic and to be able to tackle, make killer passes and contribute with goals.
The wide players have to score over 10 goals per season or more if playing in a 433.

We need 2 CHs, Right back, 2 mids (playmaker and attacking ones), right attacking wide player who scores and 2 strikers.
I would sell a good few others as well as Tav and Morelos to get as much for transfers as possible.

My concerns are though in who Allen and SG bring in as apart from Goldson and Katic I don’t think they have done that well in the transfer market.

Grand.

Winners needed with pace and fight and a bit of skill.

There are guys playing for lesser teams showing more desire, physicality and will to win than some of our guys.

It's identifying those that have a bit of ability as well as the desire and if they have the character to succeed at Rangers or will they crumble under pressure.

We haven't lost the league by any stretch. 12 games to go including two against them. 8 behind. Valencia showed they are far from unbeatable. Why are chucking he towel in already?

Valencia brought a substitute on after about an hour on Thursday night that they paid €40 million to PSG for in the summer. We are on a different planet frankly, as are the rest of the jobbers in this league we are now having to rely on to take points off Them due to our own inability to take care of straightforward fixtures at home. It’s gone.

As for the summer, I think by the nature of the squad composition as it stands currently with the number of loan players and ‘veterans’ there is likely to be another big turnover. The loans may be like for like ultimately but they will still be new bodies in.

I am worried if Morelos goes because I’ve not been overly impressed with our business this season in a few respects and the money we get for him needs to be invested properly.

Whatever Gerrard worked on with the players while on winter break it has failed spectacularly.

Yet again we're watching a group of player regress into pale shadows of their former self.

Something stinks at Ibrox.

Back