Match Of The 70s

The influx/open floodgates of Johnny Foreigner in the late 80s diluted our game to the point that it is now unrecognisable. Whilst they brought a lot to the game it also introduced many negatives.

Just watched a lot of that on YouTube. Some tremendous memories and football superstars. Football will never be the same, unfortunately.

The influx/open floodgates of Johnny Foreigner in the late 80s diluted our game to the point that it is now unrecognisable. Whilst they brought a lot to the game it also introduced many negatives.
Agreed. Diving, feigning injury, pointing to some guy in the sky, blessing themselves when enterin the field of play, showing imaginary cards to referees.
Didnt see much of any of that until Johnny Foreigner spotted the big bucks of the English game and came over here.

Some of the tackles you see in some of the 70's games would have the compliance officer working overtime to figure out the length of bans.

Agreed. Diving, feigning injury, pointing to some guy in the sky, blessing themselves when enterin the field of play, showing imaginary cards to referees.
Didnt see much of any of that until Johnny Foreigner spotted the big bucks of the English game and came over here.
A few years back on the old ESPN channel I stumbled across a FA Cup tie from about 82 or 83. Swansea v Boro. What a breath of fresh air. Blokes were halfing each other in two with 'tackles' and were helping each other up and shaking hands. Even going to get the ball for an opponent when they were winning! Proper blokes, sportsmen and no nonsense.

Great programme, a shame its not repeated by one of the channels, can get it on you tube tho, tried to buy on DVD but not seen it anywhere.

All year round mud, looks like they used to race bikes before the game on the pitch.

Apparently a week or so before Leeds vs Chelsea 1970 they had Horsejumping on a soggy Wembley pitch! Videos of the match show the damage done.

The first Leeds/Chelsea game itself turned out quite entertaining.

On the opening day of the first premier league season in 1992 there were 13 non British players playing.

In Scotland during the 70's the only guaranteed live games each year were the Scotland v England home international and the cup final. Eagerly anticipated with a house full watching the games. Maybe a bit nostalgic but great memories of family and friends gathering together.

Jeff Astle's a-mile-offside goal against Leeds and Ronnie Radcliffe's 35 yard screamer against Newcastle! Great tv show...first shown around 1994-95 i think?

A few years back on the old ESPN channel I stumbled across a FA Cup tie from about 82 or 83. Swansea v Boro. What a breath of fresh air. Blokes were halfing each other in two with 'tackles' and were helping each other up and shaking hands. Even going to get the ball for an opponent when they were winning! Proper blokes, sportsmen and no nonsense.

You should YouTube the Chelsea / Leeds FA Cup Final and replay in 69/70 . X rated stuff .

In Scotland during the 70's the only guaranteed live games each year were the Scotland v England home international and the cup final. Eagerly anticipated with a house full watching the games. Maybe a bit nostalgic but great memories of family and friends gathering together.
The Scottish cup final wasn’t shown live until 1977,the only live games you got was Scotland v England or a Scotland game World Cup qualifying group

I’m a big fan of 70’s and 80’s football. It’s also my go to Sporcle subject as I find the names are much easier to spell than in later decades.

The Scottish cup final wasn’t shown live until 1977,the only live games you got was Scotland v England or a Scotland game World Cup qualifying group

When we won the Scottish Cup in 1976 against Hearts and completing the treble for the first time since 63-64 it ignited a clamour in the press for the Cup Final to be shown live. The media argued that Rangers fans would have turned up in numbers even with live tv.
The official attendance that day was given as 85,354 but I reckon it must have been nearer 100,000. Because of the occasion ticketless Bears were doubling up, jumping turnstiles, kids lifted over and reports in the press that a gate had been breached. Hampden was squeaking with humanity that day and if memory serves the weather was crap also.

PS fti of younger Bears the Scottish media were not the hostile agenda driven bhigots against Rangers that you recognise today. If the above happened today we would have received nothing but negativity.

Love that series and now and again put it on YouTube, love the proper grounds and crowds. The 80s version was also good. Always some good old matches on BT sport

when was this on(year)? I think I remember watching it years ago maybe after MOTD on a saturday.

Watched the 72-73 season on youtube last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Waterman was a great choice for hosting. The state of some of the pitches are incredible.

When we won the Scottish Cup in 1976 against Hearts and completing the treble for the first time since 63-64 it ignited a clamour in the press for the Cup Final to be shown live. The media argued that Rangers fans would have turned up in numbers even with live tv.
The official attendance that day was given as 85,354 but I reckon it must have been nearer 100,000. Because of the occasion ticketless Bears were doubling up, jumping turnstiles, kids lifted over and reports in the press that a gate had been breached. Hampden was squeaking with humanity that day and if memory serves the weather was crap also.

PS fti of younger Bears the Scottish media were not the hostile agenda driven bhigots against Rangers that you recognise today. If the above happened today we would have received nothing but negativity.
I was at tannadice the week before when dj scored in 22 seconds to win the title

Apparently a week or so before Leeds vs Chelsea 1970 they had Horsejumping on a soggy Wembley pitch! Videos of the match show the damage done.

The first Leeds/Chelsea game itself turned out quite entertaining.
Now that was a game!

Back