Matt Busby and Bill Shankly

So, the Busby Babes aren't legends? Losing your best players and re building doesn't make a legend? Nearly die in a plane crash? Busby had those balls. Shankly was never asked those questions. Shankly never won the league. Shankly was the first PR style manager in England. And was in the Celtic dressing room in 1967 in Lisbon. Have a word with yourself.
Row your fecking outrage back a bit pal, I said Shankly stories are legend then gave examples that i remember and that struck me as funny, I haven't got many Busby stories of the same ilk to fall back on.
That does not mean I said Busby wasn't a legend, learn to read properly before you start frothing at the mouth and make a prīck of yourself.

So, the Busby Babes aren't legends? Losing your best players and re building doesn't make a legend? Nearly die in a plane crash? Busby had those balls. Shankly was never asked those questions. Shankly never won the league. Shankly was the first PR style manager in England. And was in the Celtic dressing room in 1967 in Lisbon. Have a word with yourself.
Liverpool won the league title three times under Shankly.

Although I am aware Busby was a Shettleston Harrier, Where is the evidence about him trying to embed RC into the DNA of Manchester United. Majority of poor souls killed in Munich were not catholics. Duncan Edwards arguably the greatest player of his time definately Church of England (I've seen his grave) Holy trinity of Law, Charlton and Best all prods.
When Busby was manager of Man Utd it used to be said that if you wanted a priest go to Old Trafford. There was certainly a RC influence at the club under Busby and Louis Edwards in that era

As far as I'm aware,

Shankly won the league in 64, 66 and 73.

Busby in 56, 57, 65, and 67

There was a documemtary about ManU in the 80's - a descedent of Busby proudly proclaimed, "It's a Catholic club, we all know that."

Maybe explains why the mentally challengeds had an affinity with them at that time. All ancient history now, but I've read both Busby and Shankly's autobiographies: Shankly was a football man first and last, Busby was a Tim first and a football man last.

There's the difference.

Ron Atkinson, has been quoted as saying he'd have converted to yahooism if that was the requirement to being appointed manager of Man Utd.

Anyone who thinks that lot have not been infected by RCism, is naive in the extreme.

As far as I'm aware,

Shankly won the league in 64, 66 and 73.

Busby in 56, 57, 65, and 67
I apologised to an earlier reply. I did mean to say that Shankly hadn't won the EC as was. But you would have to tip your hat to Busby Shankly Dalglish and SAF for managing title winning sides. I doubt we will see that again.

I used to have Shankly's autobiography, a good read & in his early days a big treat for him was going to Ibrox.
Years later Tommy Smith came out to the Oil Platform I was working on for a speaker,s night & I got him to sign it.
So Shankly for me

Oh, it was a fact and signing Prods to play on the park was just a matter of expediency.
There is a lot of evidence to support this,
I have read a fair bit over the years about Sir Matt and many testimonies to his adherence to his faith and its promotion in places of influence around Old Trafford.
However, I am not inclined to go back over all of the books I have read just to free you of your scepticism.
No one said you had to believe me.
I was never doubting the truth of your input. I've always known Busby was a rhabid tim. My Dad wanted Benfica to win in '68 and explained why to me as an 11yr old. I was merely saying he signed the best players (pardon the pun) irrespective of their religion.

Quick Google about Shankly and us and says he was only English based manager who went to Lisbon with the mhanks as a guest.

Not very staunch that tbh

Talking about Scottish managers. The English Premiership is yet to have been won by an English manager however it has been won by 2 Scotsmen. Both grew up supporting The Rangers. :D

Struth was from a different era when the manager role was completely different, and the reason for picking Clough and Paisley was based on European success but I wouldn't argue with anybody who thinks struth is the man
If you're going on European success then Alex Ferguson must be in there. Add in his domestic success in both Scotland and England then he has to be the greatest British manager in modern day football history. There is an argument to be made for Struth but two vastly different eras in the game.

If you're going on European success then Alex Ferguson must be in there. Add in his domestic success in both Scotland and England then he has to be the greatest British manager in modern day football history. There is an argument to be made for Struth but two vastly different eras in the game.
Bob Paisley still edges it with three EC/Champion trophies

To rebuild Utd after Munich disaster and turn them into European Champions a decade later is surely one of the greatest Managerial feats of footballing history.

Busby for me.

My old man's heroes were Alex Scott, Jim, Denis and Bobby Charlton. He was an engineer who spent a bit of time in Lancashire in the mid sixties. Maybe Busby was a pape but his favourite sons were Denis, George and Bobby I don't think Matt cared what you were so long as you could play.

I would say you have two great managers in a time when managers ran the club. Busby could have had a dynasty but for Munich and Shankly did leave a legacy... But neither matched Paisley or Clough.. to throw spanner in

The manager who people forget about is Don Revie, took a second division club from a rugby town and made them the best club side in the world for a period of time. A side that for the most part he nurtured from the youth team with a few relatively inexpensive additions. Admittedly they didn’t win all the trophies they should have done but there were reasons for that. The dynasty should have continued with John Giles being given the managers job, alas the clowns on the board went and got Clough, who without Peter Taylor was never going to survive at Leeds. Busby, Shankly, Paisley and the aforementioned Clough undoubtedly greats, but Don was up there but is forgotten due to his regrettable actions with England.

I would based on European success but that's just a personal opinion
It's an interesting one, because their initial success looks to have been a product of Shankly's endeavour; something Paisley was very much a part of. I'm sure I've read that Shankly regretted resigning, or that some people suspected he regretted it.

It's an interesting one, because their initial success looks to have been a product of Shankly's endeavour; something Paisley was very much a part of. I'm sure I've read that Shankly regretted resigning, or that some people suspected he regretted it.
I watched a documentary a while back and that was very much the case. Shankly kept turning up at training until eventually someone on the board had to ask him to stop as he was getting in the way. Paisley did the same thing after he retired and became an adviser. He had to be banned from going to the dugout on match days

Bill Shankly
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.

Last edited:
I watched a documentary a while back and that was very much the case. Shankly kept turning up at training until eventually someone on the board had to ask him to stop as he was getting in the way. Paisley did the same thing after he retired and became an adviser. He had to be banned from going to the dugout on match days
I watched that, I'm sure; I remember the Shankly story, where at training tge players were calling him "Boss" ,I didn't know that about Paisley, though.

Liverpool used to have the famous boot Room back in the day consisting of Shankly Paisley Ronnie Moran Joe fagan and Roy Evans. They never had to look far for the next manager they just promoted from within. Roy Evans was last in line of that dynasty

Shankly was a force of nature. He made Liverpool into the club they now are. When he took over they were also rans, not just in English terms, but in Liverpool too, Everton were very much top dogs.

By the time of his retirement there was no question as to who ruled the roost in that city.

Shankly created a dynasty that swept all before it, whereas Busby left a listing ship that lay dead in the water for a quarter of a century before being revived by Alex Ferguson.

Without Bill Shankly the face of English football would be very different today, without Bill Shankly there would've been no Bob Paisley.

Both Busby and Shankly were great managers, as their respective records show, but the difference,in my opinion, lies in what they left behind and for that reason I'd place Shankly ahead of Busby every day of the week.

Last edited:
Liverpool used to have the famous boot Room back in the day consisting of Shankly Paisley Ronnie Moran Joe fagan and Roy Evans. They never had to look far for the next manager they just promoted from within. Roy Evans was last in line of that dynasty
You can add Reuben Bennett to that list.
It's to his eternal credit that Bill Shankly retained the existing backroom staff when he was appointed as Liverpool manager. All he asked of them was loyalty and he was amply rewarded in that department.

I was never doubting the truth of your input. I've always known Busby was a rhabid tim. My Dad wanted Benfica to win in '68 and explained why to me as an 11yr old. I was merely saying he signed the best players (pardon the pun) irrespective of their religion.
He did, in a Protestant country you really have to sign Protestant players.
He did, however, want those behind the scenes to be Catholic and tried to have the management position filled with Catholics, but it proved to be a bit of a disaster.

He did, in a Protestant country you really have to sign Protestant players.
He did, however, want those behind the scenes to be Catholic and tried to have the management position filled with Catholics, but it proved to be a bit of a disaster.
Wilf McGuiness and Frank O'Farrell spring immediately to mind. Tommy Docherty was more successful but fell foul of Busby's strict moral code.

Bill Shankly for me. But there are good arguments for both. Shankly seemed a truly inspirational man who had the whole city of Liverpool in awe of him never mind the teams he managed.

Clough is the best for me. Of interest, you would have Paisley ahead of Shankly?
Clough was indeed a great manager although it shouldn’t be forgotten the role Peter Taylor played in the partnership. He was hugely influential in identifying players and he was Mr Calm when Clough was going off on one.

I loved Clough and his teams but he didn’t create the teams on his own. For that reason he can’t be compared to the three managers we’re talking about on this thread.

Clough was indeed a great manager although it shouldn’t be forgotten the role Peter Taylor played in the partnership. He was hugely influential in identifying players and he was Mr Calm when Clough was going off on one.

I loved Clough and his teams but he didn’t create the teams on his own. For that reason he can’t be compared to the three managers we’re talking about on this thread.
Perhaps that's because Clough was gracious enough to give Taylor recognition. There an implication from your point of view that those others did it on their own; and that might not be the case.

I’m watching a Shankly documentary as it happens. Great thread guys and some good arguments put forth, but I shall err on the side of Shankly on account of his being a Protestant.

Another one that many aren't aware of is that Sir Matt played with Liverpool.
Shankly's playing career was spoiled by the war, but I note that amongst the various teams he played for whilst serving in the RAF was one appearance for Liverpool at Anfield where Everton were beaten 4-1.
Busby himself was still at Liverpool at that time, but I don't know if they featured together in the same team.

I watched that, I'm sure; I remember the Shankly story, where at training tge players were calling him "Boss" ,I didn't know that about Paisley, though.
[/QUO
there was also a story that Paisley was in line for the republic of Ireland job ahead of Jack Charlton and that they were just about to appoint him but we're advised against it because at that time he was showing signs of the early stages of dementia

Shankly took it very bad that he was seen as yesterdays man at Anfield. He never really felt welcome when he visited a training session at Melwood, The players still called him boss which was embarrassing for Paisley.

Eventually Shankly started going to watch Everton at Goodison and even trained with them at their old training ground in Bellefield, which was within walking distance of Shankly's home. Paisley suggested a scouting role for Shankly but he never took up that offer.

In his biography by Stephen Kelly it is said that he asked Liverpool chairman if he could come back to the job a few weeks after leaving, Liverpool obviously declined. Shanklys wife totally refutes the claim though as even she was not aware of the approach by Shankly as being the man he was he would havespoken about it with his wife first and foremost.

If you remember the same thing happened at Rangers. John Greig was training with the team and the players kept calling him boss. Souness stopped the training and said "I'm the boss he's a legend" hence Greig getting the nickname leg

Back