Matt Polster - Not leaving according to Andy Newport

Good. Having watched him play at CM several times he is more than good enough to play and based on Sunday’s performance, he should be Tavs back up.

Our RB position really does attract some myths. The idea that Flanagan is in any way a decent defender, while Tav is lacking in that area, are chief among them.

The performances where Flanagan has looked defensively decent were backs to the wall stuff, where he had 6 or more other men covering him. In games where he is likely to be exposed he is not good at all.
Exactly mate. Tav has been barely been exposed defensively in a 1vs1 in the last two years whilst Flanagan gets caught out constantly. Tavernier is criminally underrated by a lot of supporters and will only truly be appreciated once he’s gone. The myth that Tav is a bad defender is from when Warburton was there and it’s frustrating how people haven’t dropped it

Whilst he's never been a stand out, I don't think I've ever seen him play badly.

Could he be our new Papac. . . .??

Gerrard preferring Flanagan on Sunday is concerning.

He was decent (no more) when he came on but stood out due to the pish being served up by everyone else.

I would expect him to start until Tav comes back.

If he becomes the back-up right back then surely that means Flanagan and Paterson should be available for loan maybe?

Paterson getting first team games elsewhere could be great experience for him. At the right club, it could.
Just lock Flanagan in a cupboard at the HTC till June. Sick of the sight of him just now tbh.

Quite happy for Polster to stay. He’s one of several players that have looked promising in limited opportunity.

But if he is staying he’s got to be first pick to replace Tav during his layoff.

His positioning and awareness needs work but our system is built around the full backs getting up and down.

Whilst we seem hellbent in playing exactly the same manner regardless of personnel, then he’s got to be the man.

How exactly did Flanagan have a stinker in the first half.

Defensively he was better than Polster. How come Jack, Davis and Kamara aren't getting it in the neck for their first half performance yet Flanagan is. £7m Kent too was also anonymous for the majority of the 90 minutes.

I'd rather Patterson was given a chance. People say but what if we drop points. Well, we got beat at Tynecastle with seasoned pros through out the team.
Flanagan was caught out of position about 5 times in the first half on Sunday he was genuinely woeful offensively and defensively.

I'll make it clear that im not having a go at anyone over this but it's mental that someone putting in a good cross after coming on at halftime in a game we lost is enough to be kept around but Patterson putting in a really good performance when he got to start is apparently not enough to give him more games. Things like that are why i question if we'll ever actually give young players a chance under Gerrard
Patterson doesn’t look ready to be thrown in at tyncastle.

I'm happy with this.
He's not really been given a lot of gametime so far, probably due to Tav's form, so I'm all for giving him a start at right back at least until Tav is fit.

He has looked composed enough any time I've seen him. Glad he is getting his chance.

I'll make it clear that im not having a go at anyone over this but it's mental that someone putting in a good cross after coming on at halftime in a game we lost is enough to be kept around but Patterson putting in a really good performance when he got to start is apparently not enough to give him more games. Things like that are why i question if we'll ever actually give young players a chance under Gerrard
Damned if you do damned if you don’t, if Patterson got flung in then made a mistake then the same people would be saying that he shouldn’t be starting. See Myles Beerman for example, one mistake then quite a few turned on him.

Nice to hear

He seems like an honest and determined pro trying to prove himself in very competitive environment

I hope he succeeds

Its a strange one. Almost all posters on here prefer Polster to Flanagan, yet the manager and Coaching staff have went with Flanagan. What are we all missing? Does he not show well in training?

Got to wonder what is being asked of him in training for Flanagan to be picked twice ahead of him. Polster isn't the second coming of Numan but he was head and shoulders above his counterpart and hasn't really put a folt wrong when called upon (on the very seldom occassion).

Anytime he has come on he hasn’t looked out of place at all.has a good tackle in him and has an eye for a good pass and he was getting up and down the pitch on Sunday and getting balls into the box

Same old excuse anytime a young player is given a chance. You'll never know until you actually give them the chance to see what they can do
I seen in the game he played before that, he doesn’t look quite ready yet. He will be a star though but no need to rush him.

Rangers da's everywhere rejoice.

In all seriousness, it seems a bit weird to me that we've done a U-turn on loaning him out based on a decent 45 minutes against Hearts.
Firstly. No Rangers Das no Rangers kids, cunto.

Secondly. He's never been anything less than competent, any time I've seen the guy.

Back