Matt Polster

Edmundson was the sub to be made but it does raise something that's bugged me for a while and that's the choice of player on the bench. It was completely unnecessary to have Kamberi, Stewart, Ojo and Barker all on that bench. Kamberi of course shouldn't have been on the bench anyway he should have been starting but someone like Polster should have been there.

Reckon he would suit the holding mid role if we changed to 3 at the back, Cant see us changing shape though, even though it needs addressed.

Not at this end.

Argued from the moment he left that we didn’t have a viable alternative in that space. We have lots of little ball players - we have no one to enforce.

Sheep away, Ferguson pulled them back into the game. We couldn’t stamp it out.

We need a different option away from home against hammer throwers. He’s limited on the ball, but he’s strong, fast and hard tackling. His height also makes a big difference in winning first balls.

Exactly, I'm amazed how quickly his performances in some huge games have been forgotten, he's a warrior as a ball winning midfielder.

He's a good player who has done well whenever he's come in - but I think he struggles a bit as he's not a natural wing-back like Tav/Borna and we don't adjust the system. Its kind of the same when Halliday comes in - the team looks so unbalanced as a result.

What could Polster have done to stop Katic and Goldson making an absolute rip-roaring c*nt of clearing the high ball, then conceding the corner then failing to clear that?

Edmundson on and switch to 3/5 at the back was the answer that the manager appeared to miss.
He could have locked them in the changing room or gave them First Class tickets for a wee holiday to Guantanamo Bay!

One of the few in the squad that has a bit about him. Doesn’t shy out of tackles, but unlike Flanagan isn’t completely useless at everything else.

I’ve noticed also that since Tav came back,we don’t play through him as much as we did before.

I think the explanation for that, in recent games at least, is that Hagi in front of him offers nothing defensively so Tav is more hesitant to move forward. Also, whilst he’s ostensibly one of our two Number 10s, Hagi does tend to play wider than, for example, Aribo when he filled that slot.

I think the explanation for that, in recent games at least, is that Hagi in front of him offers nothing defensively so Tav is more hesitant to move forward. Also, whilst he’s ostensibly one of our two Number 10s, Hagi does tend to play wider than, for example, Aribo when he filled that slot.
Do you not think that we were more dangerous using Tav more down the flank.
Hagi and co. are all trying to walk the ball into the net.Although I know Hagi does try to play more forward passes rather than side to side.

Was that game needing someone like him to come on today for the last 15 or so and help see the game out? His ball retention and also tough tackling and graft? Seemed he had played well as deputy at RB when tav was out and surely could have been a more suitable than the likes of Ojo on the bench when we already had barker and Stewart and kamberi as forward options?
I agree there is no point in having both Ojo and Barker on the bench.

Gerrard obviously doesn't fancy him and is included in the players like Stewart or Jones who will occasionally come on or make the squad, he would rather pick crap players like Barker or Ojo every week.

Given that Davis, Kamara and to a lesser extent Jack have been poor since Dec 29

He should be worth a go

Do you not think that we were more dangerous using Tav more down the flank.
Hagi and co. are all trying to walk the ball into the net.Although I know Hagi does try to play more forward passes rather than side to side.
no, because 6 out of 10 times Tav hoofs the ball out or cant beat the first man. I think what is happening is that he isnt bombing forward because his team mates arent dropping back any longer to cover him. Candeais did it all the time and Tav misses his cover.

Given that Davis, Kamara and to a lesser extent Jack have been poor since Dec 29

He should be worth a go
this above - he cant be much worse than what we are putting out recently. wht happened to the 2 players for each position?

He was playing better than Tav - and Tav has been shite since the new year. Nothing will change but, nothing ever changes witht he team selection

He's a good player who has done well whenever he's come in - but I think he struggles a bit as he's not a natural wing-back like Tav/Borna and we don't adjust the system. Its kind of the same when Halliday comes in - the team looks so unbalanced as a result.

Because he's a natural centre mid.

No wonder, the players probably don't have the belief and trust in him because he's been pretty rubbish over the piece this season.

Aye mate he's been murder.

He's only got 14 assists this season , including Kamberi's goal on Sunday.

Frimpong, El Ahmed, Bauer, Bolingoli, Taylor and Hayes have a whopping 11 between them, but Tav contributes %^*& all.

Would like to see him get a run in midfield he’s aggressive and can play a bit. Think Gerrard looking for perfect football that’s fine but you need a balanced team . Every good team has ball winners that get stuck in just feel we don’t have enough of it in our team. That’s what gives you winning mentality.

Would like to see him get a run in midfield he’s aggressive and can play a bit. Think Gerrard looking for perfect football that’s fine but you need a balanced team . Every good team has ball winners that get stuck in just feel we don’t have enough of it in our team. That’s what gives you winning mentality.

He's playing in a closed doors game against Partick Thistle today, along with Jones, Barker, Flanagan and Hastie, so it'll be interesting to see how he performs.

Pretty much all the 1st team squad that didn't make the Europa squad are playing.

Gerrard having favourites is going to lead to points where they aren't available, he has to pick the others and they'll be thinking "why wasn't I given a shot before hand?"

Stewart, Kamberi (before Sunday) and Polster are definitely in this area. I expect they'd be professional and try to take their chance like Kamberi did on Sunday, but you could also see a bit of resentment as the same faces appear on the starting lineup and make a mess of it

Gerrard having favourites is going to lead to points where they aren't available, he has to pick the others and they'll be thinking "why wasn't I given a shot before hand?"

Stewart, Kamberi (before Sunday) and Polster are definitely in this area. I expect they'd be professional and try to take their chance like Kamberi did on Sunday, but you could also see a bit of resentment as the same faces appear on the starting lineup and make a mess of it

Who do you see as the favourites that shouldn't be starting mate?

Gerrard obviously doesn't fancy him and is included in the players like Stewart or Jones who will occasionally come on or make the squad, he would rather pick crap players like Barker or Ojo every week.

Barker hasn't played for us since the 20th December and Ojo hasn't been seen the last 4 games.

Stewart should get more game time but Jones isnt good enough shouldn't have been signed to begin with and has made a mess of his own rangers career with that sending off.

There isn't a player in the starting lineup that Polster should be ahead of and let's remember he was heading for the exit until Tav's injury. He is a better option than Flanagan but thats it and while Tav looks like he's been rushed back and out of confidence he still plays.

Careful now. I got told I shouldn't be watching football when I suggested as much. Tav's great when he's playing well. It's just a shame it doesn't happen all that often. Instead we're treated to skied shots or ballooned crosses, all the while he's leaving our defence wide open.

Back