Maurice Ross sacked by Notts County as he expresses regret over 'inappropriate comment' to player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnyloyal

Former Rangers star Maurice Ross has left his role with English side Notts County after an "ill-judged comment" to a player.

The Magpies were relegated from the English Football League for the first time at the end of the 2018-19 season and will spend a third season there as they languish in 10th place.

Ex Scotland international Ross was assistant manager with the club but has now left that role after a flashpoint with a member of the team.

A short statement on the County website said: "Assistant head coach Maurice Ross has this afternoon left the club with immediate effect.

"We will be making no further comment."

Later though Ross broke his silence and admitted he'd made an improper comment to one of his players.
The former Motherwell reserve boss said: "During Saturday’s match at Altrincham, I made an ill-judged comment to a member of our playing staff which has led to my departure from the club.

"I deeply regret the comment, which is not a reflection of the type of person I am, and would like to place on record my apologies to the player in question for the upset I have caused.

"While it was said in the heat of the moment with no malice intended, it was nevertheless unacceptable and I'm devastated by the impact it's caused

"I would also like to apologise to the club’s board of directors, supporters & Ian Burchnall, all of whom I have enjoyed working with immensely. The club have handled today’s events impeccably and everyone at Meadow Lane has my full support for the rest of the season and beyond.

"I will be taking some time to reflect on my actions and learn from this experience before continuing my coaching journey.

It’s interesting, just thinking back to a thread a while back about female managers and how they would be too delicate to cope with the kind of language and culture in the lower leagues (not my words!)maybe things have changed all over.

Sacked for making a comment to his own player during a match. Just 5 weeks in to a 4 and 1/2 year deal.

Likely something today’s cancel culture won’t stand for.

It must’ve been pretty bad for it to lead to a sacking & by the sounds of it Ross not to even challenge it

I wonder what it was . Surprised at Ross , met him randomly years ago in a restaurant called cafe Mao in candleriggs and spoke to him about his time at us , seemed well dressed and articulate .

Going to hold back here cause a lot of people just assuming the players been soft and he’s not said anything bad. Probably due to him being one of us.

Given the stories I’ve heard about the lower leagues in England it takes some doing to get sacked for poor language as they all give each other dogs abuse.

clearly must be serious.

It could be something akin to the abuse the boy at Albion Rovers took. There were plenty (quite rightly) calling for his abuser to be sacked.

You can assume it’s not a racist comment, otherwise a bigger deal would be made of it. People losing their jobs because modern footballers can’t take a slagging. Bonkers.

Why should they?

Do you think that David Cox should accept the alleged banter/slagging from Jonathan Tiffony?

We don't know what Ross has said. If Ross was using homophobic language, would that be acceptable? If he'd been targeting one individual in particular for sustained abuse?

Why should they?

Do you think that David Cox should accept the alleged banter/slagging from Jonathan Tiffony?

We don't know what Ross has said. If Ross was using homophobic language, would that be acceptable? If he'd been targeting one individual in particular for sustained abuse?

Because it’s been part and parcel of football for forever, from grass roots up to the professional game. It’s only become an issue in recent years because people are so fragile that they can’t distinguish between camaraderie and abuse.

What happened with David Cox wasn’t a slagging, so stop trying to use an absurd comparison to make your point.

The fact we now have people describing the use of “poofed out a challenge” as homophobic shows how absurd the weaponising of language has become.

Can’t believe(well I can) we have people saying and others agreeing that, if he’s made a homophobic comment then he’s a victim of “the language police”

It’s 2021, you can’t possibly expect people to be allowed to call colleagues or staff “poofs” and get away with it ffs :D

These are probably the same people who wanted Neil Lennon jailed for a hate crime for allegedly calling Leanne Dempster a dyke.

Because it’s been part and parcel of football for forever, from grass roots up to the professional game. It’s only become an issue in recent years because people are so fragile that they can’t distinguish between camaraderie and abuse.

What happened with David Cox wasn’t a slagging, so stop trying to use an absurd comparison to make your point.

The fact we now have people describing the use of “poofed out a challenge” as homophobic shows how absurd the weaponising of language has become.

The world changes.

"poofed out of a challenge" would be unacceptable.

E80212-F9-9-EE3-4-EB2-8-C86-9-EDD4-C076660.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back