Maurice Ross sacked by Notts County as he expresses regret over 'inappropriate comment' to player

Status
Not open for further replies.
So clearly there are forms of "slagging" that aren't acceptable and maybe we shouldn't dive headfirst into whingeing about "delicate wee souls" when we don't even know what was said in this case. Cheers
Of course some things are unacceptable, nobody is saying otherwise. But if it wasn't a racist comment (and I doubt it was or it would be front page news) then how bad could it have been? Is it really worth somebody losing their livelihood over? A slip of the tongue and you're out of a job?

Of course some things are unacceptable, nobody is saying otherwise. But if it wasn't a racist comment (and I doubt it was or it would be front page news) then how bad could it have been? Is it really worth somebody losing their livelihood over? A slip of the tongue and you're out of a job?

Who says it was a slip of the tongue?

Nobody knows anything yet the default accepted opinion seems to be that him being sacked is ridiculous.

But if it wasn't a racist comment then how bad could it have been?

Racism is bad and everything else is fair game? Really? What MR said could have been incredibly bad. Without knowing what it was we can only speculate and therefore should probably avoid defaulting to assuming that whoever was on the receiving end of said "slagging" is just a delicate wee soul.

You know what they say...one slip of the tongue and you're in the shit...

The fact Ross isn’t going mental at his dismissal, says to me that he was, and recognises, in the wrong, so I’m not sure why people are trying to defend him with no facts to back up their opinion, as even he doesn’t defend it.
Maybe he fancied a job at the SFA, and was working his ticket?

Racism is bad and everything else is fair game? Really? What MR said could have been incredibly bad. Without knowing what it was we can only speculate and therefore should probably avoid defaulting to assuming that whoever was on the receiving end of said "slagging" is just a delicate wee soul.
I stand by that. We live in a snow..flake society, whether you agree or not. There's people losing their jobs for the most ridiculous reasons.

I'm sure a warning and an apology to the player in question would have sufficed. Are you glad he's lost his job for a comment that he regrets?

Well, I don't know what was said. You seem to know as you're confident that it wasn't that bad, so what was it?

...or even the one with the opposition goalie, Hanrahan.
Would they be allowed to show that film now?

Pretty much nothing in Slapshot would be allowed now.

We can argue whether or not it's right. Doesnt change the current tide of public opinion or what language people are and are not willing to accept.

I stand by that. We live in a snow..flake society, whether you agree or not. There's people losing their jobs for the most ridiculous reasons.

Whilst I agree with you that society has become more sensitive to words, it takes someone pretty stupid not to be able to moderate their behaviour to maintain employment in the modern world.

I always liked Mo, but it must be serious for him to lose his job over it. He seems very contrite in his statement as well

Not sure why so many here seem convinced it’s a matter of the player being a snow flake . Would people deem Kamara or David Cox the same?

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what was said. You seem to know as you're confident that it wasn't that bad, so what was it?
I think you're missing the point. Did he deserve to lose his job over a comment he regrets and has apologised for? If it was so bad would the police not be involved?

I think you're missing the point. Did he deserve to lose his job over a comment he regrets and has apologised for? If it was so bad would the police not be involved?
He may well have deserved to lose his job depending on the severity of what he said, which none of us apart from you seem to know. This is some hill you're prepared to die on mate.

Out of curiosity why is racism the cut off point? Why shouldn't that also be classed as a slagging that you should be able to take unless you're a delicate wee soul?

He may well have deserved to lose his job depending on the severity of what he said, which none of us apart from you seem to know. This is some hill you're prepared to die on mate.

Out of curiosity why is racism the cut off point? Why shouldn't that also be classed as a slagging that you should be able to take unless you're a delicate wee soul?
You keep saying I know what was said, I don't. Strange. I'd say racism is as bad as it gets, wouldn't you? And there would be an awful lot of people unemployed if every ill-judged comment resulted in people losing their jobs.

No idea of the details in this, so no idea if his removal was justified or not. What I will say is it's not too long ago we all laughed at stories of coaches throwing things like boots or pizzas at players and even giving them the odd slap.

Give it 10 years and every team will have a mental health counsellor in the dressing room.

No idea of the details in this, so no idea if his removal was justified or not. What I will say is it's not too long ago we all laughed at stories of coaches throwing things like boots or pizzas at players and even giving them the odd slap.

Give it 10 years and every team will have a mental health counsellor in the dressing room.

Might not be a bad idea getting better mental health support in football, much like any other area dominated by guys.

We don't want another Robert Enke.

Don’t really think it’s appropriate to be posting in such a tone about people having access to a mental health counsellor tbh.

Alex Ferguson was lauded the world over for throwing a boot at beckham .

Don’t really think it’s appropriate to be posting in such a tone about people having access to a mental health counsellor tbh.

Particularly given the thread in the lounge for people looking for support with their mental health.

Guys are really bad at dealing with mental health concerns. Often that leads us to destructive behaviour and, if left unchallenged, life changing or life ending outcomes. The last thing anybody on here should be doing is treating mental health with such a disregard. Nobody knows what other forum users are going through.

Can’t believe(well I can) we have people saying and others agreeing that, if he’s made a homophobic comment then he’s a victim of “the language police”

It’s 2021, you can’t possibly expect people to be allowed to call colleagues or staff “poofs” and get away with it ffs :D

These are probably the same people who wanted Neil Lennon jailed for a hate crime for allegedly calling Leanne Dempster a dyke.
Exactly. If that's what he has said then he deserves to be sacked.

I genuinely dont see any difference between using a racist slur and a homophobic one. Both are as wrong as each other.

Its 2021 ffs, I'm amazed people are defending this.

Might not be a bad idea getting better mental health support in football, much like any other area dominated by guys.

We don't want another Robert Enke.
Definitely agree with this

Robert Enke, Gary Speed, Dale Roberts... the list goes on and it's fuckin heartbreaking

You keep saying I know what was said, I don't. Strange. I'd say racism is as bad as it gets, wouldn't you? And there would be an awful lot of people unemployed if every ill-judged comment resulted in people losing their jobs.
Armchair expertise at its finest.

Not a f88king clue what has happened, but happy to proclaim the sacking to be an unreasonable outcome.

Good on you mate.

Armchair expertise at its finest.

Not a f88king clue what has happened, but happy to proclaim the sacking to be an unreasonable outcome.

Good on you mate.
Or maybe a warning and an apology would have been better. I doubt he would do it again and he would still be in a job. But no, best just sack him.

Or maybe a warning and an apology would have been better. I doubt he would do it again and he would still be in a job. But no, best just sack him.
Should UEFA have given the Slavia Prague player a warning instead of a ten game ban then?

Should UEFA have given the Slavia Prague player a warning instead of a ten game ban then?
Nope. What he said was fully deserving of a 10 game ban. But he's still in a job, unlike Maurice Ross.

Maybe the apology wouldn’t have cut it. Maybe employee relations had broken down over it. You say you don’t know what was said so how can you mitigate it?

No one knows what was said therefore it is bordering on the ludicrous to say that regardless of what was uttered by Ross that he should be either merely warned or indeed sacked.

The facts as we know them appear to be that he said something serious enough to be sacked and for Ross to own it and apologise unreservedly and wholeheartedly for his comment/s about or to the player concerned.

His employer will have levels on the disciplinary scale that trigger different outcomes, like a warning etc.

Gross Misconduct = Sacked.

What is so hard for you to grasp here?

Depends what it is. Is a throwaway comment that he probably doesn't even mean really deserving of the sack?
In a position of leadership and influence he does need to be more intelligent then if its a "slip of the tongue" as you seem to believe. His apology though reads that it was a serious matter - employees have gotten away with systematic abuse and bullying for years with "having a bit of banter and slips of the tongue"

Sorry but not a lot of sympathy from me

Maybe the apology wouldn’t have cut it. Maybe employee relations had broken down over it. You say you don’t know what was said so how can you mitigate it?
You're probably right. Let's just sack everybody for inappropriate language, just to be on the safe side. Apologies and warnings just won't do. Ruin their careers, that'll show them.

You're probably right. Let's just sack everybody for inappropriate language, just to be on the safe side. Apologies and warnings just won't do. Ruin their careers, that'll show them.

It's almost as if there might be a difference between "inappropriate language" and saying something so severe it gets you the sack. But as long as it's not racist it's fine apparently.

It's almost as if there might be a difference between "inappropriate language" and saying something so severe it gets you the sack. But as long as it's not racist it's fine apparently.
You don't know what he said, and we all have different levels of what we deem to be offensive. If somebody called me a homophobic slur (and they have, many times) I wouldn't lose a second's sleep over it and would laugh it off. But I do understand that in this day and age of everybody looking to be offended that others might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back