Maurice Ross sacked by Notts County as he expresses regret over 'inappropriate comment' to player

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't know what he said, and we all have different levels of what we deem to be offensive. If somebody called me a homophobic slur (and they have, many times) I wouldn't lose a second's sleep over it and would laugh it off. But I do understand that in this day and age of everybody looking to be offended that others might not.
well said Noddy you old Queer ;)

You don't know what he said, and we all have different levels of what we deem to be offensive. If somebody called me a homophobic slur (and they have, many times) I wouldn't lose a second's sleep over it and would laugh it off. But I do understand that in this day and age of everybody looking to be offended that others might not.

So we all have different levels of what we deem to be offensive but only what you deem offensive is valid and everyone else must be "looking to be offended"? As I said, what a hill this is to die on.

There are things I could say in the workplace that I know would get me sacked. You know what I do? This is quite out there so stay with me on this one... I just don't say them.

I wonder what it was . Surprised at Ross , met him randomly years ago in a restaurant called cafe Mao in candleriggs and spoke to him about his time at us , seemed well dressed and articulate .
Maybe he politely insulted somebody whilst wearing a nice suit and brogues?

So clearly there are forms of "slagging" that aren't acceptable and maybe we shouldn't dive headfirst into whingeing about "delicate wee souls" when we don't even know what was said in this case. Cheers.
Interesting that you mention Kamara.

Maybe Ross called the Notts County player a "fùcking guy"

Deserves to be sacked if he has used such an insult.

So we all have different levels of what we deem to be offensive but only what you deem offensive is valid and everyone else must be "looking to be offended"? As I said, what a hill this is to die on.

There are things I could say in the workplace that I know would get me sacked. You know what I do? This is quite out there so stay with me on this one... I just don't say them.
Do you think them?

E80212-F9-9-EE3-4-EB2-8-C86-9-EDD4-C076660.jpg

Let's hope the story doesn't go National but he sticks it on his (albeit small) club's fan site!

You're probably right. Let's just sack everybody for inappropriate language, just to be on the safe side. Apologies and warnings just won't do. Ruin their careers, that'll show them.

Again, you dont know what was said. There was a footballer the other week who was taunted about his mental health, should he just shrug that off? It's not the 1970s.

Love how nobody has a clue what was said but folk are greeting about cancel culture and pc brigades :))

"Ye cannae bloody say any'hin these days eh?"

Just waiting for somebody to mention BLM for a full house.
Essentially it was alright to say these things before so it should be fine to say these things now. Because change is a terrible thing, apparently.

And that’s without having any clue what was said B-D

Folk on here saying its quite right he was sacked will be same folk saying the guy on the celtic podcast shouldnt have been sacked despite him being sectarian and racist. A weird world we live in

Not a single person n here has a clue what has been said yet we've got all the "sensitive wee souls" brigade up in arms with their knickers in a twist as usual. See instead of hankering for the good ol' days of calling a poof a poof, maybe just do everyone else a favour and shut up man.

Probably called him a big wummin or something along those lines. I dont advocate calling people names etc, but by feck people nowadays need to grow a set of baws. The easily offended are taking over the world.
Exactly,
You're scared to say anything now,
Incase it gets twisted or misinterpreted ,
You get grief for saying stuff like,
Stop kicking the ball like a wee girl these days

I'm a nosy prick and need to know what he said how in this day and age can something like this be kept quiet?

Before I make my mind up on whether he deserves the sack or is a victim of the pc brigade, does anybody know what he said?
Nope. No one has a clue what he said. Guesswork and speculation aside Notts County deemed it serious enough to sack him and Maurice Ross has accepted that and apologised. .

"During Saturday’s match at Altrincham, I made an ill-judged comment to a member of our playing staff which has led to my departure from the club.

"I deeply regret the comment, which is not a reflection of the type of person I am, and would like to place on record my apologies to the player in question for the upset I have caused.

"While it was said in the heat of the moment with no malice intended, it was nevertheless unacceptable and I'm devastated by the impact it's caused.

"I would also like to apologise to the club’s board of directors, supporters & Ian Burchnall, all of whom I have enjoyed working with immensely. The club have handled today’s events impeccably and everyone at Meadow Lane has my full support for the rest of the season and beyond.

"I will be taking some time to reflect on my actions and learn from this experience before continuing my coaching journey."

“PC gone mad”

translation: “oh no I can’t insult blacks, gays or women”.

what awful times we live in

Damn!

I hate offering an opinion on these topics, especially when it seems I am debating with someone on here that I have a lot of time for (that's you!)

But I think when the phrase 'PC gone mad' is used its generally when something 'indirectly twice removed' gets taken out of context and people get offended

3 Examples:

1)
"Woman are rubbish at everything and should stay out of football" - that's clearly insulting to woman, don't get me wrong, people do say that and it's unacceptable. That's NOT 'PC gone mad', that's insulting.

2)
"Oh, looks like a bit of handbags there from the players" - not directly insulting woman but some can find it offensive, possibly 'PC gone mad'. The person saying saying doesn't want to insult woman but will be accused of doing so.

3)
"I'm surprised she was able to make that save" , this can be taken as an insult to woman, or a compliment to the goalkeeper. People may add "would you say that about a male goalkeeper" and the argument goes on. This may be 'PC gone mad".

I don't think the people who say "PC gone mad" want to insult people, they just don't want to accused of doing so.

Sure we are still mates though yeah?

Comment was made to a substitute about a player on the park apparently.
Interesting that a guy who would have played for C*ltic reserves when Maurice Ross would have been turning out for Rangers reserves was on the park, Dublin born Michael Doyle aged 39, Ross is 40.

Not for one minute am I suggesting they have a bit of 'history' with each other.

Not trying to put ideas into peoples heads - just putting it out there.

In this day and age he probably congratulated the player on a good performance, only to find the delicate little wallflower is too fvckin miserable to enjoy praise.

If the club are willing to sack him they should have the balls to state the reason why!!

Damn!

I hate offering an opinion on these topics, especially when it seems I am debating with someone on here that I have a lot of time for (that's you!)

But I think when the phrase 'PC gone mad' is used its generally when something 'indirectly twice removed' gets taken out of context and people get offended

3 Examples:

1)
"Woman are rubbish at everything and should stay out of football" - that's clearly insulting to woman, don't get me wrong, people do say that and it's unacceptable. That's NOT 'PC gone mad', that's insulting.

2)
"Oh, looks like a bit of handbags there from the players" - not directly insulting woman but some can find it offensive, possibly 'PC gone mad'. The person saying saying doesn't want to insult woman but will be accused of doing so.

3)
"I'm surprised she was able to make that save" , this can be taken as an insult to woman, or a compliment to the goalkeeper. People may add "would you say that about a male goalkeeper" and the argument goes on. This may be 'PC gone mad".

I don't think the people who say "PC gone mad" want to insult people, they just don't want to accused of doing so.

Sure we are still mates though yeah?

I understand you mate, it is a bit of minefield.

Interesting that a guy who would have played for C*ltic reserves when Maurice Ross would have been turning out for Rangers reserves was on the park, Dublin born Michael Doyle aged 39, Ross is 40.

Not for one minute am I suggesting they have a bit of 'history' with each other.

Aye I had a look at the line up and his age and being Irish stuck out to me.

Folk on here saying its quite right he was sacked will be same folk saying the guy on the celtic podcast shouldnt have been sacked despite him being sectarian and racist. A weird world we live in
What you on about man? Nobody's saying "it's quite right he was sacked". Some people are saying it's wrong that he was sacked and others are quite rightly pointing out that since nobody knows what was said we're not really in a position to judge.

What you on about man? Nobody's saying "it's quite right he was sacked". Some people are saying it's wrong that he was sacked and others are quite rightly pointing out that since nobody knows what was said we're not really in a position to judge.
It seems Ross knows what he said and has taken it on the chin. You don't throw away a 4 year contract if you don't think you've done anything wrong.

The Daily Record and Nil By Mouth will be assembling their finest!

%^*& sake. That's incredibly disappointing from someone I previously had a lot of time for. You have to wonder what goes through people's heads sometimes.

Is there a difference between a "racially insensitive" remark and a racist one?

The fact he was immediately sacked would suggest it was pretty horrible, just wondering why the article uses that expression.

Insensitive makes it sound less abusive, or is there no such thing?

The Slavia player's comments were 100% abuse and not in the slightest "insensitive". As a comparison, the assistant referee comment in the PSG game that got abandoned seemed less abusive and more insensitive.

Might be my difficulty in sometimes in interpreting these things, but is the wording of the article important at all?

Ross does have that wee arrogant attitude which I quite enjoyed when he laid out the reasons why the filth were struggling etc.

Sounds like a total nothing incident which makes the racial slur really weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back