Maurice Ross sacked by Notts County as he expresses regret over 'inappropriate comment' to player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love how nobody has a clue what was said but folk are greeting about cancel culture and pc brigades :))

"Ye cannae bloody say any'hin these days eh?"

Just waiting for somebody to mention BLM for a full house.

I think you just did.

I'm not convinced that's racist. Misjudged? Absolutely. But not convinced it has intent towards or any relevance to race.

But in these times he has to be brighter than that with everything going on.
As someone said on the previous page, it's being referred to as "racially insensitive" rather than straight up racist. He wasn't surviving it though once the players complained.

A year ago that is probably not considered racist and to be honest, if you had to explain to someone why it was racist you would probably struggle. African players absolutely did have made up birth certificates and absolutely did change their age. The BBC called it 'Rampant' in Africa. If the guy looks older than he is, white or black, it is a fair enough comment to make.

I'm not convinced that's racist. Misjudged? Absolutely. But not convinced it has intent towards or any relevance to race.

But in these times he has to be brighter than that with everything going on.
It’s akin to the old jokes about Scottish goalies, Latin European diving or South American thuggery.

He’s probably been having a go at the guys work rate. And as insensitive and heaven-sent for the woke cancel culture brigade as it undoubtedly was, the winger himself is obviously ‘African’ in descent.

Shows just far down the wormhole this thing has gone. Not the wisest comment but not something to get the pitchforks out over. And hardly comparable with the likes of Ron Atkinsons on-air proper brazen racism.

As someone said on the previous page, it's being referred to as "racially insensitive" rather than straight up racist. He wasn't surviving it though once the players complained.

I hadn't seen that mate. Report I read said "racist comment."

You're absolutely correct in that he wasn't surviving it.

So you can now be sacked for being insensitive? I am genuinely one of the more sympathetic posters on FF to the racism issue, vocally so, but that is a nonsense.

It’s akin to the old jokes about Scottish goalies, Latin European diving or South American thuggery.

He’s probably been having a go at the guys work rate. And as insensitive and heaven-sent for the woke cancel culture brigade as it undoubtedly was, the winger himself is obviously ‘African’ in descent.

Shows just far down the wormhole this thing has gone. Not the wisest comment but not something to get the pitchforks out over. And hardly comparable with the likes of Ron Atkinsons on-air proper brazen racism.
I think reading it sounds as if the players didn’t like him. As it’s a bit of a crappy remark but one I think if most folk had been told would have said that’s off and not told the guy it was about. Fact he’s told the player and the rest then they’ve all kicked off suggests it’s as a way and means to get ride of him or Notts county are just really “woke”.

I think reading it sounds as if the players didn’t like him. As it’s a bit of a crappy remark but one I think if most folk had been told would have said that’s off and not told the guy it was about. Fact he’s told the player and the rest then they’ve all kicked off suggests it’s as a way and means to get ride of him or Notts county are just really “woke”.
Yep there could well be more to it. He’s been brought in with 2 months of the season left to a team who are in many ways a ‘fallen giant’ and definitely a big fish in the non-league pond and who are underachieving hugely, and the hoped for up-turn in results hasn’t materialised.

They have been expected to get promoted both of the seasons they have been down there and both times have struggled.

The bold, debonair and opinionated Dundonian swaggers in, thinks he can change the whole system (I’m guessing the managerial incumbent was there before Ross as the assistant) and tells a few home truths and rubs up some of misfiring and nerves-ridden squad, meaning he becomes a convenient fall-guy and outlet for blame and to take the pressure off the players.

I think it’s harsh, but perhaps the Dutch winger of African descent was really riled and hurt. Only he can fully express his reactions to it. But it’s convenient all the same to get rid of this new guy in Mo Ross who’s likely ruffled a few feathers without triggering the hoped for improvement in results

Player obviously didn't like him.

In a good footballing dressing room the captain deals with that situation

I'm just saying he's not surviving that remark - which is being referred to as racially insensitive - in 2021.
100% a stupid thing to say in the climate we see today and particularly with a media blackout to support anti-racist campaigns ongoing at the time. He was never going to survive it. I just happen to think in this instance it was stupidity on his part rather than any racist insensitivity or overt racism.

Heard him on that infamous bbc Scotland interview. I was very impressed on his views of the game. I think he’ll be a decent manager.

100% a stupid thing to say in the climate we see today and particularly with a media blackout to support anti-racist campaigns ongoing at the time. He was never going to survive it. I just happen to think in this instance it was stupidity on his part rather than any racist insensitivity or overt racism.
The bigger picture is comments like this reinforce racial stereotypes which is something that we as a society should be moving away from. If people arent challenged and made aware that it's wrong then they'll carry on.

While some individuals may previously have done this it's a small number compared to the amount of African players that have played across Europe legitimately. Someone even said it on here about Fashion Sakala the other day. In fact most times an up and coming African player is referenced on here someone says it.

The comment insinuates that people from that continent are dodgy and not to be trusted. It doesn't get said about Europeans or Asians only Africans. That is a racist.

If he has said something that got him sacked, well it must have been something unacceptable and as such shouldn't be tolerated. He seems to have completely put his hands up and accepted his fate, so punishment given and doubt he will do something stupid like this again. My soft heart hopes that this is not held against him and stops him getting future employment

Called him

There was much less mental health issues in the 70s, why do you think that was?

There weren't fewer mental health issues.

There were poorly diagnosed mental health issues and poorly supported people with mental health issues. There wasnt less poor mental health. People were just worse at spotting it and dealing with it and the culture was to downplay it or ignore it.

The bigger picture is comments like this reinforce racial stereotypes which is something that we as a society should be moving away from. If people arent challenged and made aware that it's wrong then they'll carry on.

While some individuals may previously have done this it's a small number compared to the amount of African players that have played across Europe legitimately. Someone even said it on here about Fashion Sakala the other day. In fact most times an up and coming African player is referenced on here someone says it.

The comment insinuates that people from that continent are dodgy and not to be trusted. It doesn't get said about Europeans or Asians only Africans. That is a racist.
Yeah, except that is not true. I posted links, only one of which was British, with the others being from Africa, where it is said that the practice is widespread. With Senegalese players the most famous for it and with Senegalese commentators claiming 99% of their players have lied. The British link is the BBC claiming it is rampant. It is not 'some individuals', it is many, many individuals. The reason it is referenced so often is the fact that it is so common. Saying so is not racist. Unless of course the BBC are racist, along with the aforementioned Senegalese chap who claims 99% of footballers from his country are at it.

Don’t know what was said, but it’s sad that someone loses his job for it.
Remember the footballer who racially abused our player got a ten match suspension, yet many on here won’t take the time to maybe support an ex player.
An ex player who was a decent coach.

I think you're missing the point. Did he deserve to lose his job over a comment he regrets and has apologised for? If it was so bad would the police not be involved?
He could have said all manner of overtly offensive things to the player, which other than causing offence wouldn't result in being racist or homophobic. Something about a family member/children/partner, for example.

Ross seems to have accepted the outcome without argument which suggests he was way over the top in what was said.

Are you of the opinion that unless it's a criminal offence folk can just say whatever they like at work?

Racist, insensitive or racially insensitive?

Regardless it was in a workplace environment, could have got a written warning and kept his head down, but once the respect and trust has gone he didn't stand a chance of the players listening to him. May need to return to Norway as this will be a bad blemish against him

The kind of comment you might say in passing to your mates when watching a game.

For a coach to say it, though, is stupid. Not only for the racial stereotyping but for embarrassing the player to his teammates.

I said it several times about Carlos Pena, that he played like he used to be able to play but his legs had gone and questioned if his age was accurate ( he was reported to be 27 when he joined us).

Was that racist because he wasn't white, not racist because he isn't African, insensitive for a specific reason or was it acceptable for me to give that opinion based on me seeing him play and not mentioning his colour or country of birth ?

Genuine question because you seem to have a much better handle on what is/isn't racist than I do.

What was said about Sakala?

Yeah, except that is not true. I posted links, only one of which was British, with the others being from Africa, where it is said that the practice is widespread. With Senegalese players the most famous for it and with Senegalese commentators claiming 99% of their players have lied. The British link is the BBC claiming it is rampant. It is not 'some individuals', it is many, many individuals. The reason it is referenced so often is the fact that it is so common. Saying so is not racist. Unless of course the BBC are racist, along with the aforementioned Senegalese chap who claims 99% of footballers from his country are at it.

People can't talk reasonably about racism on here since the Kamara incident mate.

I try to ignore posting in them type of threads now but was reading this one to find the comment made and your post sums my thoughts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back