Maurizio Sarri: Juventus coach treated for pneumonia

venturablue

Official Ticketer
_108372366_msarri_getty.jpg

Former Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri is being treated for pneumonia.

The 60-year-old Juventus coach spent Monday morning at the Italian club having missed a weekend friendly against Triestina because of what was initially thought to flu.

After feeling unwell, further tests diagnosed pneumonia and Juve confirmed treatment had begun.

Juventus visit Parma for their opening Serie A match on Saturday and it is not clear if Sarri will be in charge.

The veteran Italian joined Chelsea from Napoli in July 2018 and won the Europa League with the west London club during his one season at Stamford Bridge.

He succeeded compatriot Massimiliano Allegri at Juventus in June.

Genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if he has something serious underlying. He just doesn’t seem a well man and this is a worrying diagnosis.

Pneumonia is the way we would all prefer to go. Virtually painless supposedly.

Not so.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pneumonia/

Common symptoms of pneumonia include:

• a cough – which may be dry, or produce thick yellow, green, brown or blood-stained mucus (phlegm)
  • difficulty breathing – your breathing may be rapid and shallow, and you may feel breathless, even when resting
  • rapid heartbeat
  • high temperature
  • feeling generally unwell
  • sweating and shivering
  • loss of appetite
  • chest pain – which gets worse when breathing or coughing

I had pneumonia in each lung (double pneumonia) about 10 years ago and it is absolutely terrifying. Of course I wrote it off as flu but after 3 days of not being able to get up the stairs unless crawling on my hands and knees I had to give in to either death or an ambulance to Stoke Mandeville hospital.

Painless it is not.

Of course, being an utter tosspot, the first thing I did after 3 weeks in hospital was to get the taxi home to stop so I could buy 50g of Golden Virginia.

And you are his doctor

Well no but I did get told my grampa had pneumonia which turned out to be cancer which riddled him.

So Sarri being in the news for having pneumonia may not simply be the end of it.

I didn’t realise you had to be a medical professional to comment though.

Right. Gradually lose the ability to breathe. Drown slowly in your own secretions. Sounds ideal. Jeez.

That said, it's not intrinsically a very serious disease. The vast majority of people recover. As long as he doesn't have an underlying pathology (eg a tumor, serious heart problem, or some kind of immunodeficiency) he should be fine.

Last edited:
Well no but I did get told my grampa had pneumonia which turned out to be cancer which riddled him.

So Sarri being in the news for having pneumonia may not simply be the end of it.

I didn’t realise you had to be a medical professional to comment though.
Well I do

It was caused by wearing that shitey t-shirt in the dug out on rainy days in London. Someone should have told him he would catch pneumonia.

My old man had pneumonia a couple of years back and I definitely don't think he would describe it as virtually painless. Was in bed coughing for near on 2 months.

Back