McCann's tactical analysis on Sportscene

Theresa May

So refreshing to see. Moreover, it's amazing to see the level of detail and thought that now goes into our match preparations by the current management team at Ibrox. I think that's the most striking difference between us and the poets these days - we're adopting modern day coaching methods and tactics - but Lennon still seems to rely on that 90s style of management of 'you're all half decent players lads, and certainly better than them, so go out and do your thing'.

In short, our full backs sat deep and took the ball from Helander and Goldson, with the specific intention of drawing out their two wing backs and in turn creating the space in behind their wing backs for Alfie, Kent and Barker to exploit. Sounds like a simple tactic, but it worked a treat at least 5 times in the first half. We usually see one of Kamara and Jack drop into the full back positions to take the ball and allow Tav/Borna to take up position higher up the field. The burd at LB and Frimpong were constantly caught in two minds as to whether they push up and press Tav/Borna, and leave space behind, or sit deeper and allow Tav/Borna to drive into their half.

Great to see the level of detail involved in our prparations, and certainly great to see just how far ahead we seem to be of them in that department.

So refreshing to see. Moreover, it's amazing to see the level of detail and thought that now goes into our match preparations by the current management team at Ibrox. I think that's the most striking difference between us and the poets these days - we're adopting modern day coaching methods and tactics - but Lennon still seems to rely on that 90s style of management of 'you're all half decent players lads, and certainly better than them, so go out and do your thing'.

In short, our full backs sat deep and took the ball from Helander and Goldson, with the specific intention of drawing out their two wing backs and in turn creating the space in behind their wing backs for Alfie, Kent and Barker to exploit. Sounds like a simple tactic, but it worked a treat at least 5 times in the first half. We usually see one of Kamara and Jack drop into the full back positions to take the ball and allow Tav/Borna to take up position higher up the field. The burd at LB and Frimpong were constantly caught in two minds as to whether they push up and press Tav/Borna, and leave space behind, or sit deeper and allow Tav/Borna to drive into their half.

Great to see the level of detail involved in our prparations, and certainly great to see just how far ahead we seem to be of them in that department.
Callum McGregor admitted as much in an interview. It was a very clever move by Gerrard, especially when they line up with 3 at the back.

barker, kent and alfie switching endlessly had them confused also.

Tava and Borna look like they are really enjoying playing football at the moment. Great to see. Tav in particular seems to be a goal threat again. In the second half there were three occasions when he was in the same position as he was for his headed goal the other week.

Interesting comments from the failed footballer about us potentially going 7 points clear as Celtic have that Scottish cup tie to play and they wont play their games in hand until the turn of the year

I am a huge fan of Neil and think he would be very well suited to post match analysis team at the club, reporting back to the coaching staff his findings.
He has a very sharp football brain and is very well presented.

I'm sure I'm not making this up, did Michael Beale not say in an interview last season that we were really well equipped to come up against a 352 formation.

TBH I'd rather he wasn't spelling it out for the rest to understand as there is no way most managers involved in Scottish football would work it out for themselves.

Most managers and coaches are more astute than you think, but if they aren't able to work that out for themselves then how would they know what to do about it?

I watched the highlights, great to see McCann there, Stewart knows he’s out his depth with McCann!
I think McCann being there dragged Stewart out of the gutter actually and prevented him from just espousing controversial nonsense for the sake of creating 'talking points'. Perhaps because he knows McCann wouldn't let him away with it.

It was a genuinely interesting discussion between them. And noteworthy because it felt so unusual.

Couldn’t tell you the last time I watched Sportscene but I saw it was on at 7.30 last night so watched. Aside from the excellent comments by Neil I was astonished that we didn’t have a 10 minute rant about Alfie and how he could have caused O’Broon a brain injury by flicking his ear! Off course they may have realised that O’Broon hasn’t got a brain.

See when BBC have someone analyse the game like that it is worth listening to. Too many times they are sucked into the drama of the game. This is what I want from an alleged professional program, tell me about something I might not spot myself.

Andy Gray was good at this on sky.

Considering we did exactly the same at Pittodrie and Fir Park I would have expected the tims to better prepare for it.

Motherwell pushes up like them and got smashed. Sheep only pushed up once and that was the decisive moment.

Nice to know that TLBs preparation doesn’t extend to watching us play.

I think McCann being there dragged Stewart out of the gutter actually and prevented him from just espousing controversial nonsense for the sake of creating 'talking points'. Perhaps because he knows McCann wouldn't let him away with it.

It was a genuinely interesting discussion between them. And noteworthy because it felt so unusual.
Totally agree, his presence keeps Stewart in check, he knows McCann will call out his shite!

Mick Beale is light years ahead of anything their buffoon-like management team have to have offer. He’s proved it time after time.

I love when the camera spans to him and Gerrard, constantly communicating. You can see Beale as if he’s standing in the middle of the pitch, moving players that inch back into perfect position.

I absolutely love how organised we are. That game went EXACTLY how we had planned and prepared for it to go. The mentally challengeds didn’t have a chance.

The analysis was good and detailed. Although It could have been simplified by just saying that for the third game in succession we passed around them like a set of traffic cones.

I know there would be different players involved, but I would hope the FF proponents of playing 3 centre backs would take a close look at that game, and see that is precisely why few top sides play it. In many ways it was the years 2002/03 revisited when O'Neil eventually abandoned it following De Boer, Lovenkrands, Cannigia etc exposing it.

Latest posts

Back