McCoist admits Rangers were ‘without doubt’ the best in Britain for spell during the 90s

We chronically underachieved in Europe with Advocaat. From about 97-00 we were one of the best in Britain if not Europe IMO.

In fairness, Advocaat gave us respect in Europe after several years of dreadful performances under Walter.

The 99/00 team was good enough to go very far - but was dealt a huge blow with the Mols injury. After we lost in Munich, Hitzfeld admitted his side had been very lucky to beat us and said he would make us favourites to win the UEFA cup.

In 98/99, when the side had still to gel, we were eliminated by a fantastic side in Parma who went onto win the competition.

We had progressed so much by the August of the following season we eliminated that same wonderful side. And there's not one Rangers fan would have changed watching Rangers v Bayern and PSV for the dross they had watched from Rangers teams from 93/94 onwards.

Mols injury changed everything.

Next season, we blundered big time in a one off v Monaco. Individual blunders and howlers cost us dear that night. By then it was a runaway train from there on both domestically and in Europe.

Chronic underachieving was from September 93 till Advocaat took over.

Very true.
Losing out to Levski the following year was amateurish.
Failing to take care of the group with Zurich was shocking.
Losing out to Gothenburg, not acceptable.
(I guess this is when Murray decided Smith was no longer the man to take us forward.)
Smith might have been a wee bit unlucky that season in that the four major signings he made for that year, for one reason or another, only one made it through the season
That doesn’t excuse him for the Gothenburg fiasco.

From ‘91 to ‘93 I’d have fancied us against anyone down south.

We beat English champions Leeds in an official Battle Of Britain showdown during that period to more or less confirm that belief.

Reactions: TQ3
Just the way he speaks ......he is talking us up ... surely we dont need to have a dig at him for it.

I mean I sometimes say" to be honest" an interviewer pointed out that could mean that when I didnt say that phrase maybe I wasnt being honest.

I thought that was a daft comment she made as it was just a figure of speech for me, and thats all it is with Ally.

Cmon folks lets support Super Ally instead of finding fault.

I'm not having a dig at Ally at all mate, I'm having a dig at whoever wrote the article.

Well we beat the English champions home and away so it's not really up for debate

The McCoist years coincided with Graeme Souness turning the Scottish game upside down, David Murray splashing other people's cash (mainly ours) and Walter putting together a side of stars. These were the happiest days of my footballing life - which included seeing 16 year old DJ score the winner in 1970, and a short break to Barcelona in 1972.
It was a real pleasure to watch the Ranger in that era.

Might have been the best in the UK but with the exception of one season we certainly didn't show that we were the best of British in European competition.

Watced the BT highlights of us v Leeds last night. They pummeled us chance wise and Goram had a blinder. The best team won over 2 legs however.
There is a good shout that from 92 until Wenger's invincibles we were up there.

Very true.
Losing out to Levski the following year was amateurish.
Failing to take care of the group with Zurich was shocking.
Losing out to Gothenburg, not acceptable.
(I guess this is when Murray decided Smith was no longer the man to take us forward.)
Smith might have been a wee bit unlucky that season in that the four major signings he made for that year, for one reason or another, only one made it through the season
That doesn’t excuse him for the Gothenburg fiasco.

You do realise bud, that there will be two moons in the sky tonight, what with us two being in agreement. :)

In 99, Mols, with 'that' turn, touch, control and technique was the catalyst for eliminating Parma, and demolishing PSV. We just never regained that momentum at that level thereafter.

Alfie is the nearest we have seen to a Lone Ranger capable of churning out chances on his own, at centre forward.

Of course Ally was the more accomplished and prolific goal scorer of the three.

You do realise bud, that there will be two moons in the sky tonight, what with us two being in agreement. :)

In 99, Mols, with 'that' turn, touch, control and technique was the catalyst for eliminating Parma, and demolishing PSV. We just never regained that momentum at that level thereafter.

Alfie is the nearest we have seen to a Lone Ranger capable of churning out chances on his own, at centre forward.

Of course Ally was the more accomplished and prolific goal scorer of the three.
C’mon, I’ve agreed with you before.
Something to do with the Sun rising in the East, I think it was.
Or was it night following day.
Seriously though, I loved Mols.
Probably behind only Johnstone and McCoist.
We were discussing Mols in our whatsapp group and he is quite probably the only player I’ve come across who has never had a detractor.
Not even Godrup manages that.
Albeit, the only criticism of him was that he wasn’t as outstanding for us in Europe.

C’mon, I’ve agreed with you before.
Something to do with the Sun rising in the East, I think it was.
Or was it night following day.
Seriously though, I loved Mols.
Probably behind only Johnstone and McCoist.
We were discussing Mols in our whatsapp group and he is quite probably the only player I’ve come across who has never had a detractor.
Not even Godrup manages that.
Albeit, the only criticism of him was that he wasn’t as outstanding for us in Europe.

When it comes to skill in its purest form, and I've mentioned it before, the most skilful Rangers forward line for me in my time watching us would have read; Cooper, Gascoigne, Mols, Amato and Laudrup.

BUT, goals are the name of the game, and McCoist and Hateley would have replaced the man with the golden smile and Amato.

As one of the greatest goal scorers these isles has ever produced used to say; 'It's a funny old game.'

If Durrant would have been allowed to thrive, then who knows, so I can only go with what I witnessed.

When it comes to skill in its purest form, and I've mentioned it before, the most skilful Rangers forward line for me in my time watching us would have read; Cooper, Gascoigne, Mols, Amato and Laudrup.

BUT, goals are the name of the game, and McCoist and Hateley would have replaced the man with the golden smile and Amato.

As one of the greatest goal scorers these isles has ever produced used to say; 'It's a funny old game.'

If Durrant would have been allowed to thrive, then who knows, so I can only go with what I witnessed.
Trying to work out how you’d play all five here.
Including a Hateley, it be a bit easier as he was such a good out ball.
A five man attack then?
Probably plenty of 12-4 type wins for us.

Goram
Gough and Butcher
Jardine, Greig (there always has to be a place for John Greig in best ever teams) Numan
Gascoigne
Cooper, McCoist, Hateley (I’d prefer Johnstone myself but it’s a game) Laudrup.
That‘d be nice.

We were spoiled in the nineties, looking back it's incredible the quality of player we had, never dreamed we would have Gazza and Brian laudrup in a Rangers shirt, as for 92/93 I thought we were going to go all the way as luck was on our side, sadly wasn't to be :(

Superb player who given how good he was should've had as great an International career .

Only other recent Rangers/Scots player to have the same instincts for goal was Kris Boyd.

Super could easily have been on a par with any International previously up front more so from 90's onwards given the international tournaments we were still qualifying for the ammunition was there but a combination of things ultimately robbed us of a great player who could have made a bigger dent Internationally.

However he was the ultimate man for Rangers the best player I grew up watching from my teens into adulthood break every record set & proud as punch as he was doing it along with his teammates .

The list of Rangers forwards is an often fascinating subject in what they did & brought to a game even to have had the fortune to see Big DJ. In Gers shirt albeit his second spell another player who would have been a joy to watch in his pomp .

I'd put Super up there with any CF of his time even Dalgliesh albeit not as complete an all rounder but not far off it.

McCoist would have had a better international career if not for Roxburgh not picking him to play against Costa Rica in 1990 and Brown not taking him to France 98 despite McCoist being the inform Striker in Scotland in the latter part of the 97/98 season.

In my time is a Rangers supporter from roundabout 1963, the 1972 team and the 1992 team are the ones that stick out in my mind. Beating Bayern Munich at Ibrox in 72 and the victory over Leeds both home and away in 92 are the two stand out memories for me.
The thing about the 1992 team is that we had a few journey man professionals in the side. Players such as Dale Gordon, but we had a fantastic team spirit

I can always remember the joy on my Dad's face when we won at Elland Road.

"That'll show they English Bastards" :D

The English media just thought Leeds had just to turn up and hammer us. They built it up as The Battle of Britain - and we wiped the floor with them.
I take it your dad could not see all the English Bastards in our team

I honestly believe that Souness started the whole mega club culture with us. With him we became massive and English clubs took notice and followed suit then Sky got interested. Without Souness the English game would still be taking place on mud covered pitches with Blackburn challenging. We were the pioneers.

He is right. We beat Leeds home & away to get into the CL, went unbeaten in the group and got shafted due to some very dodgy goings on by Bernard Tapie & the ref in the Brugge game at Ibrox that sent Hateley off.

I remember back to the charity game vs AC Milan Glorie in 2012.

Baresi & Costacurta in the Milan defence that night and Super scored the winner.

Given what was going on at the club at that point and seeing him score against the defence he would have been up against in that final in 1993 brought a tear to my eye

Trying to work out how you’d play all five here.
Including a Hateley, it be a bit easier as he was such a good out ball.
A five man attack then?
Probably plenty of 12-4 type wins for us.

Goram
Gough and Butcher
Jardine, Greig (there always has to be a place for John Greig in best ever teams) Numan
Gascoigne
Cooper, McCoist, Hateley (I’d prefer Johnstone myself but it’s a game) Laudrup.
That‘d be nice.

I'm not going to pick holes in your line up, after all it is yours.

I feel Derek Johnstone was a hostage to his versatility.

Three Scottish Cup badges in three different positions in 1973, 76 and 78.

A classy centre half, but I reckon Butcher in his prime was better.

The difference between DJ and Hateley is fine, fine margins.

I thought and still feel that I saw Hateley score two goals at the cesspit that DJ couldn't have.

Aug 91, when Stuart McCall stuck him a slide rule pass to run onto and round Bonner. - That's the one Derek Whyte launches himself into the net when the ball is already in the back of the net. Comedy Gold.

Ne'erday 94, when he latches onto Gordon Durie's pass in the first minute and we were off and running.

Again, just my opinion.

That was an amazing decade to grow up as a young bear/cub. I believed we were the best team in the world and were just unlucky all the time. Although i did question it when Juventus came and beat us 4-0 at Ibrox, although I still went home delighted because i got to see Del Piero even if he did score against us.

Advocaat
For me, Advocaat was initially unlucky.
I don’t think his second team had time to gel together then we lost Mols.
We lost crucial players to injury as well which wasn’t solely his fault but I’d take a lot of convincing that he couldn’t have managed van Bronckhurst better.
He was also a wee bit unlucky with injuries.
At one point, we had Numan, Vidmar, Gio, Albertz and McCann for the left side of the team.
All were out at the same time.
Then he lost his way.
His use of Tugay in Monaco was inspired.
McInnes against PSV ditto.
It seemed like he felt he had to do something different.
An out of the blue selection or tactic.
His buying became suspect as well.
Konterman was never fit for the Scottish game and, I’m going to get pelters here, Ricksen was never good enough.
It‘s not as if there weren’t options.
Valharren was better for the scum than Konterman for us.
Advocaat definitely had him as a potential signing.
His purchase of Flo was scandalous at the money.
Never worth that, he could’ve got three quality players for that outlay.
He failed to match O’Neill’s Australian Rules approach.
Once, I can forgive but not a second season.
Advocaat was great for 2 years, then ricksen and konterman for 10 million was the beginning of the end.The 6-2 game said it all.
Fernando got better under mcleish.

I'm not going to pick holes in your line up, after all it is yours.

I feel Derek Johnstone was a hostage to his versatility.

Three Scottish Cup badges in three different positions in 1973, 76 and 78.

A classy centre half, but I reckon Butcher in his prime was better.

The difference between DJ and Hateley is fine, fine margins.

I thought and still feel that I saw Hateley score two goals at the cesspit that DJ couldn't have.

Aug 91, when Stuart McCall stuck him a slide rule pass to run onto and round Bonner. - That's the one Derek Whyte launches himself into the net when the ball is already in the back of the net. Comedy Gold.

Ne'erday 94, when he latches onto Gordon Durie's pass in the first minute and we were off and running.

Again, just my opinion.
Frankly, every word you've posted here, I agree with.
Butcher was amongst the best in the world in his heyday, probably at he 86 world cup.
As much a fanboy as I was, am, regarding Johnstone, he was never at that level.
Actually, he might not be in my top three centre backs, as in considering nothing more than the qualities you look for in a centre back, for Rangers.
Gough would be ahead of him and I always thought Tom Forsyth was a player I wouldn't have wanted to play against.
Hateley had pace that Johnstone could only dream about.
However, using the same measurements, as in only considering the qualities you'd want in your centre forward, I'd have Johnstone ahead of Hateley by, as yor put it, the finest of margins.
Your versatility comment, some years ago, I had a discussion with a few old-timers.
A comment by one of them has always been in my mind regarding Johnstone.
He described Johnstone as a "Daley Thompson of football".
Yes, there were better centre backs, midfielders and centre forwards as well, but put them all together and nothing, nobody came close.
This was around the time when Hateley thought he could "extend his career" by dropping back to centre back.
That's an error of judgement straight away.
Beyond ignorance and disrespect.
Before though, the day he did play there , against Kilmarnock down there and we were thumped 0-3.

I honestly believe that Souness started the whole mega club culture with us. With him we became massive and English clubs took notice and followed suit then Sky got interested. Without Souness the English game would still be taking place on mud covered pitches with Blackburn challenging. We were the pioneers.

Spot on

a giant of the english game with the giant of the scottish game

but it was BSB that were the pioneers, they showed several OF games live - lets all do the anton - before they merged with sky

funnily enough andy gray commentating

Frankly, every word you've posted here, I agree with.
Butcher was amongst the best in the world in his heyday, probably at he 86 world cup.
As much a fanboy as I was, am, regarding Johnstone, he was never at that level.
Actually, he might not be in my top three centre backs, as in considering nothing more than the qualities you look for in a centre back, for Rangers.
Gough would be ahead of him and I always thought Tom Forsyth was a player I wouldn't have wanted to play against.
Hateley had pace that Johnstone could only dream about.
However, using the same measurements, as in only considering the qualities you'd want in your centre forward, I'd have Johnstone ahead of Hateley by, as yor put it, the finest of margins.
Your versatility comment, some years ago, I had a discussion with a few old-timers.
A comment by one of them has always been in my mind regarding Johnstone.
He described Johnstone as a "Daley Thompson of football".
Yes, there were better centre backs, midfielders and centre forwards as well, but put them all together and nothing, nobody came close.
This was around the time when Hateley thought he could "extend his career" by dropping back to centre back.
That's an error of judgement straight away.
Beyond ignorance and disrespect.
Before though, the day he did play there , against Kilmarnock down there and we were thumped 0-3.

I bet you're finding this as unsettling as me. :)

I'll start at the end. That thumping at Kilmarnock kept them up as I recall. I also remember them winning at Ibrox at the start of the season with a last minute goal. (Bobby Williamson?) Of course big Hateley came back in early 97 to have the last laugh over Tommy Burns.

However just as Laudrup would prove the following season, Hateley drove us to the title that 93/94 season no question. That team was always, or seemed to stutter along, but we got there yet there was something inevitable about the scandalous goal lost in the SC final.

'The Daley Thompson of football' remark seems quite fitting.

For me, Advocaat was initially unlucky.
I don’t think his second team had time to gel together then we lost Mols.
We lost crucial players to injury as well which wasn’t solely his fault but I’d take a lot of convincing that he couldn’t have managed van Bronckhurst better.
He was also a wee bit unlucky with injuries.
At one point, we had Numan, Vidmar, Gio, Albertz and McCann for the left side of the team.
All were out at the same time.
Then he lost his way.
His use of Tugay in Monaco was inspired.
McInnes against PSV ditto.
It seemed like he felt he had to do something different.
An out of the blue selection or tactic.
His buying became suspect as well.
Konterman was never fit for the Scottish game and, I’m going to get pelters here, Ricksen was never good enough.
It‘s not as if there weren’t options.
Valharren was better for the scum than Konterman for us.
Advocaat definitely had him as a potential signing.
His purchase of Flo was scandalous at the money.
Never worth that, he could’ve got three quality players for that outlay.
He failed to match O’Neill’s Australian Rules approach.
Once, I can forgive but not a second season.
Flo, konterman and ricksen cost approx 22 million.
I always felt thats when we likely started with money problems.
Thats where dave kings 20 million went in theory, what a waste.
We got roped in with the Dutch , there were far too many and quite a lot of italians and i am guessing a totally different outlook and personality.

Not just the best but the biggest team in Britain for a few years in the late 80's/early 90's.

Apologies, a wee bit of a rambling reply (Sunshine & Coors to blame;))
The 92-93 team possibly only Man utd were as good & I would have fancied our chances against them. When we drew Leeds I said to my mate we would beat them H&A as Rangers are a very good side. He was dubious probably listening to Greavsie tell all & sundry that it would be a skoosh case for Leeds. People forget we had the best Scottish players and some not too bad "European" diddies like Hateley,Trevor Steven etc. We had a fair few players who had cost £1m plus when a million quid was a sizeable transfer fee. Hateley, Steven, Gough, David Robertson, Goram (just off the top of my head) and above all we were a team that never knew when we were beaten. I didn't see too much of Advocaat's teams domestically as I was based in The Netherlands but with him being Dutch it was easier keeping up with what was happening. His European games I went to Eindhoven, Germany were a bit hit & miss results wise, Leverkusen :)), Munich, Dortmund, Kaiserslautern:mad:, but I always felt we had a chance in every game, but for what ever reason just fell short.
Going back to 92-93, I also felt looking back, that we got a bit lucky the way Europe panned out. Might not be a popular opinion but. Lyngby, I would expect any Rangers team to beat. Leeds, not a typical European tie more a traditional British cup tie therefor quite predictable how the game would be played (no cagey defensive stuff, hitting on the break like tactics) and when it came to the group every game was literally a one-off cup match so any real tactical decisions Walter might have had to make were removed. But as said earlier that team never knew when they were beaten, not as an attractive footballing side as Advocaat's sides but definitely a better team.

Back