McCoist celebration

nzb

I’m looking for a bit of info on a (in)famous goal celebration from the legend. He kissed his hand then slapped his knee and boot with a deadpan look on his dial if I remember right. Does anyone know the opposition, or better still, point me to some footage please?

I’m looking for a bit of info on a (in)famous goal celebration from the legend. He kissed his hand then slapped his knee and boot with a deadpan look on his dial if I remember right. Does anyone know the opposition, or better still, point me to some footage please?
4 each game against Celtc circa 1985

4-4 from the mid 80s I think.

Pretty sure it'll be on YouTube.

Definitely the 4-4 game - long range effort to the bottom corner at the Copland - he then ran to the enclosure and, as you say, kissed the hand and slapped his boot.

Incidentally I mind watching the Betamax recording we had of that 4-4 game umpteen times. Arthur Montford at the start of the show saying something like ‘if you’re washing the car or something else you’d better come in because you don’t want to miss this one’

He missed a real sitter that day. Back then, that happened too often for him but he scored smashing goals as well. He was a frustrating watch at times.

Incidentally I mind watching the Betamax recording we had of that 4-4 game umpteen times. Arthur Montford at the start of the show saying something like ‘if you’re washing the car or something else you’d better come in because you don’t want to miss this one’
IIRC it was a horrible day & the pitch was like a tattie field. It was on the 10 classic games DVD I used to watch religiously as a kid.

Was it not aimed at Alex Ferguson who had left him out / was threatening leaving him out of the squad for Mexico?

IIRC it was a horrible day & the pitch was like a tattie field. It was on the 10 classic games DVD I used to watch religiously as a kid.
It was a recording of Scotsport from the Sunday afternoon I had it on I’m sure

Totally off topic but i seen a Walter Smith goal for Dundee United the other day on you tube and flexi Walter kissed his boot(while still wearing it) i bet he could not get within 3 feet of doing that now.

The shot of him running after scoring was on the opening credits of either Scotsport or Sportscene in the 80's.

Half baked memory taking up space in my head.

WATP

Particularly liked Super’s gunslinger celebration against the bheasts in Nov ‘90 at the peedodome

Used be part of the Scotsport opening credits, 80's loyal:)

He missed a real sitter that day. Back then, that happened too often for him but he scored smashing goals as well. He was a frustrating watch at times.
Growing up during the 9 in a row era it’s hard to believe McCoist took some stick it gives me hope Morelos can hit a bit of form and become a legend too, although I think most would agree McCoist is the superior finisher.

Brilliant!

Think it might have been in Durrant’s book he was giving Ally a slagging, calling it ludicrous :)

Iirc there had been an article in the lead up to the game where someone from The Dark Side (possibly McNeil) had basically rubbished any threat of Super being able to score anything other than tap-ins and penalties and that he was no threat from outside the box. Goal scored, straight over to dug-out area ..... GIRFUY :)):))

Totally off topic but i seen a Walter Smith goal for Dundee United the other day on you tube and flexi Walter kissed his boot(while still wearing it) i bet he could not get within 3 feet of doing that now.
Do you want to tell him that?
Rather you than me

West enclosure that night with my brother, madness,a taste of what was to come:)

man i made an arse of that first post. :))

yep, east enclosure for me that night (and the 4-4 game). Tims had some team that night with mojo and mcclair up front, both scoring. Super scoring the winner in extra time for his third tho. Superb.

That game might have been the last time fans from both sides stayed to the end and applauded their teams off the park.

It was an incredible game.

Ally, other than his celebration at his goal, the wee sneaky GIUY to the poet fans after the first goal is fondly remembered as well.

man i made an arse of that first post. :))

yep, east enclosure for me that night (and the 4-4 game). Tims had some team that night with mojo and mcclair up front, both scoring. Super scoring the winner in extra time for his third tho. Superb.

I was also in the East Enclosure that night, the GC Final. Mental night. Remember Shug Burns running himself to a standstill. The start of the Souness era.

That game might have been the last time fans from both sides stayed to the end and applauded their teams off the park.

Ally, other than his celebration at his goal, the wee sneaky GIUY to the poet fans after the first goal is fondly remembered as well.

him and durrant :))

While we are on the subject of super ally celebrations, the one he ran to the the enclosure pointing at the badge and wagging his finger, who was that against?

It was also the game that got Jock Wallace removed, according to David Holmes.

Playing ten men for 50 minutes and couldn't hold the lead. Two weeks later he was gone.

The one on his knees at Breezeblock Boulevard, what made him so emotional that day? I feel like I missed something back then but I was only a boy really, seeing it now you can see he’s genuinely overwhelmed despite putting those bastards to the bottom of his shoe repeatedly over his career.

I remember it well, the highs and lows but it was more about disappointment at the end than anything else.
Never liked Cammy Fraser, did he not turn on the fans on another day.

The one on his knees at Breezeblock Boulevard, what made him so emotional that day? I feel like I missed something back then but I was only a boy really, seeing it now you can see he’s genuinely overwhelmed despite putting those bastards to the bottom of his shoe repeatedly over his career.
It was his last goal against celtic for the Teddy bears. He knew he was going at the end of the season

I’m sure that one against scum the celebration was aimed at the Copland end of the east enclosure as they had been singing about him going to the Tim’s because of his form and ally took it seriously scored the goal and proceeded to kiss the boot

Back